Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Problems contacting update server
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm 

Has there been a solution to this problem? I am running into the exact same thing and it would be nice to be able to use the weather module.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried contacting nVidia about this since it seems to be a problem with THEIR drivers (although I can only wish you a 'good luck getting a non-canned response from them that is actually useful.')?

Winstep applications use standard Windows API Winsock calls for internet communication. If nVidia network drivers break that, and it works for everybody else not running those drivers, in your opinion who's bug is it and who has to provide the fix? :wink:

It's not the first time I worked around somebody else's bug (Logitech once again comes to mind) but in order to do that I have to reproduce the problem here. Buying an el-cheapo Logitech webcam or mouse on purpose as I did before is, however, very different from buying an expensive laptop with an nVidia onboard NIC.

Open the Windows Device Manager and report back the devices listed under 'Network Adapters', please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm 

As a fellow programmer that frequently works with 3rd party drivers, I understand where you are coming from. However, this is the only time I have had trouble with software accessing the internet on this computer. I'm just saying that there has to be some sort of solution to the problem.

Here are my network adapters:
HighSpeed USB-Ethernet Adapter
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
TAP-Win32 Adapter V9

I am running Win7 Ultimate x64 bit and I am connected to the LAN with the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" adapter.

If you need anymore information about my system, please let me know.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could have nothing to do with nVidia in your case, unless you've tried already what the other user did (removing the nVidia drivers).

Have you checked your firewall permissions?

And I'll ask you the same question I asked him (and which got no answer): if you add a Net Meter module to the dock, what entries do you see when you right click on it and then select 'Interface to Monitor' in the context menu that pops up?

Also, click the Net Meter module to open the Active Connections window. Now right click the clock module and select 'Check Atomic Clock'. Do you see an entry appear for this connection in the Active Connections list? What happens to it? Please note you might have to do this more than once, if the connection opens and closes too quickly the Active Connections window might not even pick it up.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:14 pm 

Firewall turned off, but I had already added the Nexus Ultimate .exe to it.

In the Active connections dialog, I can see
Program - Host Process for Windows Services
Local Address - 192.168.2.11
Local Port - 64787
Remote Host - 10.57.112.35
Remote Port - 80
Connection Desc. - HTTP
State - Syn_Sent
Then turns red and disappears
Same when "Check for Updates" button is pressed

Interface to Monitor:
HighSpeed USB-Ethernet Adapter
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure that is what appears in the Active Connections window when you click on the clock and ask it to 'Check Atomic Clock'?

First, the program should be Nexus (assuming that is what you are running), and 'Winstep Update Manager' or wsupdate.exe when checking for updates, second, the clock does not connect to port 80, it uses remote port 37 for Time services.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm 

Had the same problem - no access to update server - with my Dell Latitude and the i5 Intel / NVIDIA combination. Using the NVIDIA Contol Panel (Manage 3D Settings) to switch Global Settings to NVIDIA (275.33 driver version installed) instead of Intel Graphics solved the problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2