Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: how to change language?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:28 pm 

Hi.

Please help me set the Nexus Dock interface in the correct language.

I am new to Nexus Dock (free).

My OS is Windows 7 ULTIMATE running FULL ENGLISH interface.
(I upgraded from an originally japanese Windows.)

Well, I installed Nexus Dock, and it shows everything in japanese only, and I don't know how to change this WRONG language setting to the correct language setting: "ENGLISH".

This problem might be caused by the "system locale" settting of my OS. As I live in Japan, there are reasons why I must set the system locale to Japan.
But This should NOT mean that programs automatically install in Japanese LANGUAGE. In fact, I have installed tons of applications, and usually this problem does not occur, with the exception of some nasty web services.

(Do not take me wrong, I do NOT love the english language anymore than I love other languages.)
I just have this PC set to work in english because I do not understand a single word of japanese. And it is very annoying, time consuming and energy consuming, when an application automatically takes a wrong decision related to the language interface, without even giving me a chance to take the correct decision.

The Nexus Dock descriptions look great, so I would love to try this application... Please help me solve this language interface problem.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I am very sorry that the application is causing this trouble and is forcing me to ask for help.
But I already searched in the FAQ and in this board, without results.

Kind regards

jero

Post subject: Re: how to change language?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is one area where you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Nexus looks at the system locale for non-Unicode programs and automatically sets the language based on that. Before it did this, it was common to receive complains about the application not being available on the user's language, when it actually was.

So, changing the language is very easy (I guess it is if you already know how to do it, hehe): press CTRL+F11 to open Nexus Preferences. Preferences will open in the 'About' tab, with the program logo visible. At the top left there is a combo box: click it and change the language to 'English'.

Language changes are applied immediately.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:58 pm 

Thank you very much!
Now I can start enjoying Nexus Dock.

In my experience, a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation is a clear indicator that a THIRD way is required.

My two cents:

An idea:

- Why not integrating a " program interface language confirmation step" in the installation process?
The message can be showed in the language that the user has already chosen for the installation process (in my case, at the beginning of the installation process, I did confirm the default "english" for the installation process).
The message could be something like:
"The program interface language is automatically set to your locale: JAPANESE. Please confirm (yes) or choose another language here (pop down menu).

I find such a step is NECESSARY.

Imagine you go to a hospital for a cancer test, and there are ONLY TWO possible results:

a)
Hi, welcome back from general anesthesia... We found out you had some cancer, so we immediately performed an operation to get you rid of all your innards... without asking any further.
...Of course, we can operate your innards back into your body, anytime, if you wish.

...or

b)
Congratulations! We found out that you don't have cancer, so we have automatically imposed a life-long ban on you: You will NEVER be elegible to have a cancer-related operation in this country... Of course, you can anytime apply for a new permission: just fill out this 10 page long application form and blah.

Of course, the doctors will be damned either way.
Because nearly irreversible decisions are being made without asking the patient
At least a third option is needed here. And the patient must be given a chance to choose.

The setting of a language interface must be thought of as well as something "nearly irreversible", because the user cannot get to the "language settings" anymore if he/she doesn't understand the interface language.

I think the decision about installing an interface language other than the language chosen by the user for the installation process, should include a step to confirm the user's choice.

Kind regards

Jero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are actually two major problems with confirming the language:

1. The setup already asked for their language. If they're asked again, people are just going to think the application is stupid, even though the Installer has actually nothing to do with the application itself (and the application actually has more languages available than the installer).

2. First time you launch Nexus is a very busy time: you already get the 'Check for Updates?' prompt and the 'Tip of the Day' dialog. If I add yet another dialog on top of that, things get even messier...

Fact is, if the user has set his locale settings to a foreign language, then one can be 99.99999% sure that the user knows how to read that language. Of course, to every rule there is one or more exceptions. You were one of them. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 am 

It is sad, how people just stop to care for minorities when percentage "allows" to.

An even sadder is a world where offering options is considered stupid.

But solutions are happier than problems.

I am sure that it would be possible to satisfy minority users (like me), at the same time we avoid programs to look "stupid".

For example, at least we could have a "Program Interface Language Confirmation" step (like the one I proposed before) appear only in the cases when the detected "Locale" language is DIFFERENT to the language chosen by the user for the installer interface.

In these cases the user would think "Oh, this Program is really smart".

I wish I had talent or knowledge to write code... to write this solution some sunday morning, and give it as a present for language challenged minorities for years to come...

Well, now to other thema: This dock really ROCKS!.
Following is my sincere comment on Nexus Winstep Dock in CNET (sorry for the late commenting):

"Winstep Nexus Dock is amazing!"
by elculo on July 10, 2011
Pros: Very useful and functional dock, it allowed me to unclutter my Windows Desktop, and is noticeably boosting my productivity.
Highly customizable, the fine aesthetics of this dock also make the daily work on the PC a very enjoyable experience.
Cons: Cannot think of a single "con", since this dock is absolutely fantastic.
Summary: I can definitely recommend Winstep Nexus Dock to everyone. Just give it a try... It can change your PC life!

Updated on Jul 10, 2011
..and I forgot to say: The customer service is also first class. I had a small problem installing the dock, and the developer answered back with the solution almost immediately!
Another plus: Since the programm doesn't bug you at all, it is completelly up to you just to keep enjoying this high quality freeware, or to get even more functionality by ipgrading to the more powerful, pay versions offered by this company.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jero wrote:
It is sad, how people just stop to care for minorities when percentage "allows" to.

This has nothing to do with minorities.

jero wrote:
For example, at least we could have a "Program Interface Language Confirmation" step (like the one I proposed before) appear only in the cases when the detected "Locale" language is DIFFERENT to the language chosen by the user for the installer interface.

But, you see, that is the problem: the setup application and the installed applications have nothing to do with one another. In fact, the Setup application (InnoSetup) is provided by a 3rd party company and the installed applications have no way of knowing which language the user selected during Setup.

Thanks for the great review at Cnet, by the way. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 pm 

...And I still think it DOES have to do with Minorities:

Chances are, people whose computer is set to the "locale" of a country where they live in, but themselves do not understand the official language of this country, are, indeed, members of a language-challenged Minority.

And in some countries, they might be even more than 0.00001% of the population.

Just for an example: I have Brazilian friends who cannot read Japanese, and have a hard time when software automatically sets interface or sends Email in Japanese language only...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I said 'it has nothing to do with minorities' I meant that it has nothing to do with minorities in the pejorative sense, i.e.; "I'm not going to *bother* implement this because only a handful of people are affected".

It does have to do with minorities, indeed, if there is a conflict of interest. In that case the majority wins, i.e.; I am not going to inconvenience the majority of users (e.g.; put up yet another language dialog at first run) for the sake of a small minority (who can fix the problem themselves either by manually changing the language in Preferences or by setting the proper locale settings in the Windows Control Panel so this issue stops happening to them).

I would rather solve the problem by finding out which language the user selected on the Setup program. This, even if possible, would in turn create another problem: the range of languages available for the setup application is much smaller than those available for Nexus. The user could select English simply because his native language is not available during Setup, but what if it is available in Nexus. Then what? I force the user into English instead of, much more conveniently for him, starting Nexus in his own native language?

See, things are not as easy to solve as they first seem to be from the outside. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:19 pm 

Hey Jorge, I have an idea too:
The installer asks for a language to use during install, right? And the installer has less languages than Nexus. Well, you could use the installer languages as default languages.
The user is prompt for a language at the setup startup then a checkbox button down the selection language dialog says "Use this language in Nexus" which by default is uncheked. And as another little tip, a textbox below the checkbox says "You can change application language at anytime in the Nexus Preferences". (Graphical example below)
So the users that complained that Nexus doesn't get the locale settings will be happy because Nexus will still get the locale as it actually does. And some much smarter people that reads things during the installation process will 100% notice this checkbox button and will select it, and the installer will set the selected language as their default language.

Installing nexus usually happens once (sometimes twice, in case of trouble), so this checkbox would be the very best solution to this problem. It won't add any extra dialog to Nexus and all people will be able to make their choices.

So, what do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the idea, but, again, it's not without its problems:

1. First I would need to figure out if it is even possible to add that checkbox to the language prompt of InnoSetup (I would not be surprised if it isn't) and, if so, how.

2. Second, even if it is, I would then have to translate the 'Use this language in the application' into every language supported by InnoSetup and figure out a way to put it into Innosetup's language files.

3. I would have to figure out how to store this setting during setup so the application knows about it when it runs for the first time.

That's a lot of work right there, don't you guys agree?

And, after all this, it wouldn't work anyway, because the application, unlike the Setup program, can only use the language specified in the system locale. So imagine the user selects Japanese for setup, checks the 'Use this language...' setting, but then his system is not set to support the Japanese locale: he will get gibberish on the screen when he runs Nexus. After all that work, we only made a bad situation worse.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]