Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ** ! delimited usable desktop area ! ** NEXUS Dock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm 

Hi,

(NEXUS)
Please add an option so desktop ,shortcuts, files etc , will be placed elsewhere and the space where the toolbar is docked (at the top of the screen) is off limits.

I set my dock at the top so it's always there at the top (no auto-hide)
(when I save shortcuts, files etc. to the desktop they are placed 'behind' the dock and it is a pain).

please fix this very soon, (make the dock occupy a specific area of the desktop and don't allow the rest of the system to use it thankyou)

PLEASE VIEW THE IMAGE BELOW OF THE PROBLEM

Post subject: Re: ** ! delimited usable desktop area ! ** NEXUS Dock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

/Me thinks you need to click the Help button in Nexus Preferences and RTFM! :wink:

What you want is already there: open Nexus Preferences, go to the Position & Behavior tab, and enable the 'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock'.

Of course, for that to work (and the option to be available) Nexus must be docked to a screen edge.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 pm 

Yes it solves that problem and creates another problem (it now has a big gap at the top of the screen because the window can't overlap the dock) you need to seperate this option into to parts,

1.'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock'

2.'Prevent desktop items from going behind the dock' (delimited usable desktop area)

(so if i enable the second one (maximised) windows can still overlap the dock, no big gap)

You can see here i'm using firefox and there is a big gap at the top where i don't want the dock to be visible (i want maximised windows).

Other toolbars ,Google desktop sidebar etc. dont get desktop items stuck behind and don't interfere with (maximised) applications either. (a delimited usable desktop area)

PLEASE SEE THE PROBLEM BELOW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The reason you are getting a big gap is because you're using the Leopard theme, which tries to map a 3D 'dock tray' into a 2D space. Try with another theme (e.g.; Aero LowRes) and then get back to me.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:15 am 

Hi

Please understand i don't want to see the dock at all when a window is maximised, i want no dock at the top like this.

Also i don't want desktop items to get stuck behind the dock in the way that Other toolbars ,Google desktop sidebar etc. prevent this problem from occuring.

it should be split into 2 options

1.'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock'

2.'Prevent desktop items from going behind the dock' (delimited usable desktop area for files,etc. placed on the desktop)

this is aero theme and you can see the dock is still at the top i don't want to see the dock at all when a window is maximised, i just want desktop items (shortcuts,files,etc.) not to get stuck behind it,the dock should be underneath the maximised window.

Also i have the option set to have the 'dock always below other windows' but the other option 'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock' overides this so i think you need 2 options as i said above.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:33 pm 

*I HAVE ADDED THIS MESSAGE TO THE "Winstep Wish List" BECAUSE I'M SURE IT IS NOT WORKING THE WAY I WANT IT TO*

I want the option so desktop items do not get stuck behind the dock like this.

VIEW THE IMAGE FOR THE PROBLEM

The only way to fix this is to enable in preferances,

*'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock'

Then you get this problem, you can't properly maximise windows because the dock is always there, i don't want to see the dock at all when a window is maximised.

PLEASE SEE THE PROBLEM BELOW

*PLEASE FIX THIS WINSTEP IT IS A PAIN.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dream88 wrote:
*PLEASE FIX THIS WINSTEP IT IS A PAIN.

First, making multiple posts about the same subject is not going to help you.

Second, there is nothing to fix as this is not a bug, it's simply how it works - to reserve a section of the screen edge for a toolbar you use the Window's Appbars interface. This does two things: prevents desktop icons from using the 'reserved space' and also prevents maximized windows from covering that space. You cannot have one without the other.

You can either run your browser full screen (this is NOT the same as maximized), which will make it cover up the dock, or you can set the dock to auto-hide. The latter does not reserve screen space, so desktop icons still appear below the dock when you show it - on the other hand, the dock will only be visible 'on demand' and thus won't get in the way.

You're complaining about this forgetting that the Windows taskbar works in exactly the same way.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 pm 

A sphincter says what ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:01 pm 

Grow up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

dream88 wrote:
A sphincter says what ?

Honestly: Quit it.
You've said that you wanted it. Jorge has explained his reasons already to not do it.

Rule of thumb: You can't please everyone. In this case, sorry but as it stands right now, I'm afraid it is and will be 'no'. If a lot of people complains about it, Jorge might rethink this decision, but I suspect most people don't think it is that much of an issue.

In the end, there is a quite extensive list of features that Jorge has to add, features that more people are looking forward to rather than what you want. If you don't agree, okay. That doesn't mean you can keep complaining about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm 

dream88 wrote:
A sphincter says what ?

Further, insulting people is generally not considered a terribly effective strategy for getting what you want. Ever heard of Dale Carnegie :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 pm 

:lol: it's not impossible to do it, there are programs like stardock fences that sort of do a similar thing, (keeping icons in specific areas) how hard can it be ?

:lol: i meant nothing by the comment, i was watching waynes world. :lol:

I can delete it if it has offended anyone it was just a joke.

Last edited by dream88 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:39 pm 

I was looking at stardock fences and saw this feature

*Configure a "default" fence for all new icons

If there were some sort of invisible fence to stop things getting stuck behind the dock then it could be a solution , just and idea. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dream88 wrote:
I was looking at stardock fences and saw this feature

Jeez! Fences is a *whole* application whose *sole* purpose is to organize desktop icons.

There's another solution: buy Fences and use it with Nexus.

P.S. I'll pretend I didn't even notice that other remark up there. You remind me of Raymond Chen, who describes himself has having the social skills of a thermonuclear device.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 am 

the best way to do as you are doing just do a simple thing use the dock in right opr left position of the screen the u wont be getting any space between dock and the window(prevent windows overlaping option must be checked).

secondly u can simply use auto hide with normal setting wintout the overlaping option checked.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next