Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: v11.5 breaks my look-n-feel, sticking with 11.2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:24 am 

With the various resources, images, and whatnot removed in 11.5 it completely broke my look with no way to fix some parts. The new bits don't work out for me.
It was an odd mix of old and new with NeXuS partially changed but my separate net, memory, and weather modules showing up large and new.
Size settings seem to be via slider instead of telling it size 48 or 64pix.
Restoring settings doesn't really work of course as the old images are no longer there.

New clock module inside NeXuS has a problem with the time (I think all the
numbers are jumbled to the left showing only two digits.
A few other things, too.

So on my good old XP machine 11.2 is where I'll stay.
That said, I finally put together a modern machine with all the goodies
where I don't plan to use that old *nix look I've been stuck on.
Phenom II X6 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX460, multiple hard drives including one SSD, and Windows 7 (also WinXP x64 for S&G).
[Had the machine built for a few months but I'm a slow migrator, dividing my
time over the four OSes installed)

All the nifty features that Xtreme has introduced over the past few versions
have been turned off or ignored as my old legacy OptiPlex P4 just wasn't up to
snuff, even more so on the ThinkPad T21 I had migrated from.
I'll be putting 11.5 on Win7 and see what I've been missing all this time.
This should be fun.

Marc

http://www.digisensei.info/win3/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject: Re: v11.5 breaks my look-n-feel, sticking with 11.2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Marc!

While the NeXT look was far ahead of it's time, it just looks old these days. The bitmaps used for the NeXT-like modules were low resolution as well, and didn't look so good when magnified to 128x128.

Same reasoning applies to the default Desktop Modules when the theme does not provide a skin for them - larger, 96x96 transparent versions of module images look a lot better than a 64x46 square with an icon inside, not to mention that they blend in better with older themes.

Please note that, even though I replaced the original NeXT bitmaps with high-resolution versions, I still tried to preserve the old 'look & feel'. The 'Black Hole' style for the Recycler, for instance, now is a high-resolution version of the old NeXT recycler module.

As for the clock digits, it seems like the LCDMono font did not install properly or was not picked up at startup. If re-starting Xtreme doesn't fix it, try re-installing it instead.

As for the new eye candy features requiring more CPU power, well, that's evolution, and Xtreme still works fine on very old machines if you stick to basics, as you've noticed. :-)

This said, I do hope you enjoy all of the eye candy on your new machine. :-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 pm 

winstep wrote:
While the NeXT look was far ahead of it's time, it just looks old these days. The bitmaps used for the NeXT-like modules were low resolution as well, and didn't look so good when magnified to 128x128.

Same reasoning applies to the default Desktop Modules when the theme does not provide a skin for them - larger, 96x96 transparent versions of module images look a lot better than a 64x46 square with an icon inside, not to mention that they blend in better with older themes.

Please note that, even though I replaced the original NeXT bitmaps with high-resolution versions, I still tried to preserve the old 'look & feel'. The 'Black Hole' style for the Recycler, for instance, now is a high-resolution version of the old NeXT recycler module.

As for the clock digits, it seems like the LCDMono font did not install properly or was not picked up at startup. If re-starting Xtreme doesn't fix it, try re-installing it instead.

As for the new eye candy features requiring more CPU power, well, that's evolution, and Xtreme still works fine on very old machines if you stick to basics, as you've noticed. :-)

This said, I do hope you enjoy all of the eye candy on your new machine. :-)

I know this comment is somewhat irrelevant, but you got me started with NeXT and it's a sensitive issue for me. Mainly because I had the fortune or misfortune of actually seeing a NeXT cube in action, back in 1989 or so. You see, back in the days, the only GUIs out there were the Apple Mac OS, Amiga Workbench, Atari GEM and, a little later, Acorn RISC OS; apart from those simplistic GUIs, everybody was just using MS-DOS and those with Amigas or Ataris were just playing games. Macintoshes weren't big outside certain professional environments and Acorn... well... only in magazine articles.
And then, there was NeXT... with that damned NeXTStep... fully functional drag'n'drop, actual GUI objects, copy-paste for everything, fonts, true-colour icons (albeit on a b&w monitor in the beginning) and the list goes on.

Now, as advanced as that GUI was, we're talking about 1986/7 or so (when it was designed). Today, the 48x48 icons look small and their design simplistic, anything without an alpha blend looks rugged and amateurish, and most of the "good stuff" now has been rendered in 3D with reflections and transparencies. Even the 'glass' blur, while novel a couple of years back, now looks... boring!

So yeah, what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is... time to move on. The GUI that back then left me sleepless for days and looked outlandish to anyone, even people that didn't understand a thing about computers, now looks crude and hostile. Granted, I too, at some point, did some major hacks in Windows trying to replicate that GUI, but soon realised that Windows is Windows and NeXTStep is NeXTStep; you can't bring one element of the latter into the former and expect it to work; the thing was *designed* to work in there, in the NeXTStep GUI, with its object paradigm. Not in Windows 95/98/2000.
But mainly, I understood that clinging to some outdated idea only makes *me* a fanatic, the kind of people I despise as a principle; moreover, my computer skills are becoming more and more distant to the 'mainstream' and I can't even help other people with their problems anymore. Not to mention that, when I'd be forced to join the mainstream, and join I will, because nobody wants to be using old and outdated operating systems, the transition shock will be much much bigger than if I just followed the mainstream and made the best I could with that.

OK, ok, end of rant. Bottom line: people should just move on and stop clinging to glories of the past; they were great when they were, but it's time to put them on the shelf and move on. I'm not saying dismiss them or throw them away, respect them, learn from them, use their ideas, but don't cling on to them like some old lady not wanting to throw away her old chandelier and start using light bulbs. ;)

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am 

Quote:
OK, ok, end of rant. Bottom line: people should just move on and stop clinging to glories of the past; they were great when they were, but it's time to put them on the shelf and move on. I'm not saying dismiss them or throw them away, respect them, learn from them, use their ideas, but don't cling on to them like some old lady not wanting to throw away her old chandelier and start using light bulbs. ;)

AMEN, brother .... or in my female case, aaah MEN!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 am 

Hoods wrote:
AMEN, brother .... or in my female case, aaah MEN!

Thanks sister :D

[if you're here for men, you've definitely got the wrong address :P]

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm 

Quote:
Thanks sister :D

[if you're here for men, you've definitely got the wrong address :P]

At my age, dahlink, I can barely remember what men are for. I think that was more of a quavering sigh, as in: aaah MEN ... I do vaguely remember ... now where did I leave my bifocals? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol

So Robin, how is v11.5 treating you?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 pm 

Quote:
So Robin, how is v11.5 treating you?

Hi Jorge

Did you get my little messages when I was uninstalling? I only sent a couple ... :D It's going really well now, thank you for asking! See the thread I started. I sent you a kiss.

I'm off to see the idiot daughter-in-law tomorrow, so I will give her your regards!!

Robin
The Mother-in-Law

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]