Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Updates
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 pm 

Hi Jorge ;)

Instead of letting each program check for updates I disable automatic updates and then do it manually for all using SUMo (short for Software Updates Monitor).

What has this got to do with Winstep?

Apparently there are 19 SUMo users (http://www.kcsoftwares.com/sumo/view.ph ... chnologies)who also use Nexus.

The interesting part is that 30% are using version 11.5.962.

I downloaded Nexus 11.5.957 (exe dated from 17-06) from CNet on Wednesday the 22nd and the build there says it was uploaded on the 19th. So there is no newer version available from CNet.

When I use the Check for Updates button it reports the files are up-to-date.

Are these unreleased Betas or is there some problem with the update checker?

Cheers,
Pedro

Post subject: Re: Updates
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Olá Pedro! Tudo bom? :-)

Cnet releases (especially front door exclusives like this version of Nexus) have to be planned some time ahead. Since they host the files themselves, once an application has been delivered to them for evaluation, that's the version/build they will be distributing.

*Sometimes* a minor bug is discovered within the waiting time or just after release, or some important optimization is added. When this happens, I like to update the files on the Winstep web site and I even pester Cnet to silently update the full version they are hosting (this is something they frown upon for obvious reasons).

Once the file has been updated on the Cnet servers, from that point on every user will be running the very latest version. A handful of early adopters, however, might be a couple of builds behind.

The reason I don't update the current version number that the Winstep Update Manager reports to you is because this would create a very, very, messy situation: users who download what's supposed to be the newest (but is now a couple of builds behind) file from Cnet would immediately be bombarded with an update notification right after installation. That's definitely not a good thing, and I would only do something like that in a true emergency, i.e.; if some *critical* bug had gotten past QA testing.

The alternative to this would be to let all users run a version with known bugs until the next release. Personally I prefer it this way, and I call these 'silent updates'.

If one of the early adopters writes in reporting the issue that has been fixed in the mean time, I point them to the new build.

Eventually, when things settle down and after a suitable time, I update the build number reported by the Upload Manager as well, so even the early adopters will end up running the latest version.

The current build number for the free version of Nexus is 11.5.962, so, if you are running a build earlier than that, you can upgrade manually by downloading the update file from the Winstep web site HERE. Files on the Winstep servers are *always* up-to-date.

Or you can download again the full setup from Cnet, as, since last night, they too are hosting the latest build. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hi again

Thank you for the explanation and for the link.

It is obviously your option not to have users notified of updates after installing. But Windows users are familiar with that. The first thing any admin needs to do after installing Windows is getting the latest security updates. Even if you slipstream the latest SP you always have some new updates.

BTW I just updated to build 11.6.968 ;)

Um abraço!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Abraço, Pedro! :D

Please let me know if you find any issues on v11.6, and check out the new pack with eight animated icons in the Themes page of the Winstep web site. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am 

winstep wrote:
Please let me know if you find any issues on v11.6, and check out the new pack with eight animated icons in the Themes page of the Winstep web site. :D

I did load the animated icons (and they worked perfectly ;) ). It's really not my cup of tea. I'm a minimalist :)

I have found some bugs not in Nexus but on the Clock module:

1) Sounds are not included (or not found) so many of the settings don't work (Chimes, click every second,etc)
2) It doesn't use the system voices (are they internal? Why also Italian?)
3) When you switch interface languages it will still anounce time in English
4) Time announcements doesn't work but Say the time does
5) Option says "Say 'Current time is'" but the announcement says "The time is"

That should keep you busy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

plino wrote:
I'm a minimalist :)

Ah, you're one of *those* (rolls eyes :roll: ) lol

plino wrote:
1) Sounds are not included (or not found) so many of the settings don't work (Chimes, click every second,etc)

Did you install the full version or the update? Don't tell me I forgot to include the sound themes in the free version and nobody told me until now. Have to look into that, sigh.

plino wrote:
2) It doesn't use the system voices (are they internal? Why also Italian?)

What system voices? And why not also Italian? Italian sounds nice, lol

Seriously, the voices are recordings from real people. Unfortunately I only have voices in a couple of languages other than English. I'll make a dedicated International voice pak available once I have some more languages and I've changed the application to deal with the way different languages report the time.

plino wrote:
3) When you switch interface languages it will still anounce time in English

Well, yeah, read above. :D

plino wrote:

You probably disabled it?

plino wrote:

A minor detail, you minimalistic perfectionist! :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 pm 

winstep wrote:
Did you install the full version or the update? Don't tell me I forgot to include the sound themes in the free version and nobody told me until now. Have to look into that, sigh.

I installed the full version from CNet, so I guess it's bad news :)

winstep wrote:
What system voices? And why not also Italian? Italian sounds nice, lol

All Windows systems already have Text 2 Speech. Go to Control Panel and then to Speech. Those are the voices I'm talking about. You could make them available as well. If you would like to hear fantastic voices try this
http://www.loquendo.com/en/demo-center/ ... -tts-demo/
Type your own text and test Amalia ;)

winstep wrote:
plino wrote:

You probably disabled it?

I didn't. It simply won't work. I already tested in two Windows XP machines.

winstep wrote:
plino wrote:

A minor detail, you minimalistic perfectionist! :wink:

:lol: I guess it doesn't qualify as a bug :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]