Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Drag And Drop To Open With Program
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 pm 

Hi

When i drag and drop a file to open with a program on the dock all the icons on the dock go blank for 2 seconds and refresh, this didn't happen at all in 11.2 and happens now in 11.5 it is annoying :?

This also happens when windows is started and the dock first loads, and you can just see blank icons on the dock for about 4 seconds.

This didn't/doesn't happen at all in 11.2 :?

Post subject: Re: Drag And Drop To Open With Program
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, a mechanism was added to display 'blank' icon place holders if the dock takes too long to render it's own icons , just like Windows Explorer and the Shelf do too.

On the other hand, you're probably right, this would be more suitable for sub-docks, which open and close all the time, than for a main dock, so I've changed it for the next release.

Anyway, what this means is that you have something on your dock that slows down icon loading beyond 400 ms. Do you always get the blank icons after the same icon?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:53 am 

Hi

It happened when dragging a video to powerdvd 11 or dragging a picture to photoshop CS5.5, every time since i installed 11.5 (about a week) but it seems to have stopped doing it since last night i can't get it to happen again, except it still happens for windows log on and log off/restart.

I don't know what other icons would make this happen as have only been dragging to PowerDVD11 & photoshop.

I even tried deleting the icon cache with CCleaner to see if that made a difference but it still won't happen again, only happens now in windows restart/logon.

If i unistalled the dock and re-installed it then i have a feeling it would start happening again (i didn't try it yet). :?

EDIT: i just uninstalled the dock and re-installed and it still only happens on power on/logon so whatever was causing the slow loading of icons when dragging to PowerDVD11 ,Photoshop CS5.5 seems to have fixed it's self, but it still shows blank icons at start up/log on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 am 

Is anyone else noticing blank icons when dragging a file to the dock & during windows startup with v11.5 :?

Comments please :wink: !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you read what I wrote? lol

It's by design if the dock takes too long to render the icons for the first time, so it becomes immediately responsive.

Anyway, this isn't such a good idea for a main dock, so I've disabled this 'feature' in the next release.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 pm 

:lol:

Ok good the next release will be a big improvement, is there usually a new release at the end of every month or do you just do a release whenever you are ready :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

dream88 wrote:
:lol:

Ok good the next release will be a big improvement, is there usually a new release at the end of every month or do you just do a release whenever you are ready :?:

Generally whenever it is ready, better to have a working release than a half-assed one which deletes all files...

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]