Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: New icon loading behaviour in dock
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:04 pm 

Jorge, aren't you caching sub-dock icons? now that you've changed the code to display the sub-dock quickly even if not all icons have been loaded, I get most of my sub-docks (12-20 icons at most) with a list of identical generic icons and see them loading one by one... but this doesn't happen only the first time, but almost all times I click to display a subdock, which is a real PITA - the subdock displays more quickly (but not so much that I can "feel" it), but I have anyway to wait and see which icon I need to click. In my case the previous behaviour was much better, I'm afraid.

If you're not caching, would you think about implementing an icon cache and, maybe, some background thread loading them when the dock is idle, so that you don't need to load them each time you display the dock? and if you do it, instead - what might be there here for it not to work?

Note that the above only happens with sub-docks, my two main docks never show
"temp" icons

Post subject: Re: New icon loading behaviour in dock
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, this was a bad decision.

I've turned this 'feature' off for main docks and for sub-docks I've increased the time-out delay to start generating temporary generic icons from 400ms to 900ms.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 am 

winstep wrote:
Yes, this was a bad decision.

We all make them. It's refreshing, though, to encounter someone who is secure enough that he can actually ADMIT it :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 am 

Indeed! Glad you've changed the behaviour, but still... why not caching them anyway? I mean, each time I open the subdocks I see the temp icons. In another post elsewhere you say you're caching those icons, but then why do I get the temporary icons all the same each time and not just the first?

Also, in my subdocks, all linked items are on the local hdd as do the PNG icons which I've customized. It's a portable with a 7,200rpm hdd, so, even if it's a couple years' old, it should not actually be too slow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The icon cache for each dock/sub-dock is local/private to that dock, not global. When the dock/sub-dock is closed, it's private icon cache is destroyed with it. Parent docks remain on screen so this is usually not an issue for them, but sub-docks get created and then destroyed all the time.

Not that it can't be done, but making a dock's icon cache persistent (i.e.; make it remain in memory after the dock/sub-dock it belongs to is closed) is not without it's problems, one of them being memory consumption...

...and we all know how vocal some people can be about Nexus memory usage, even though the browsers they are reading this with consume 5 times more RAM than Nexus/WorkShelf just to display a single web page.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, you're both running Winstep Xtreme v11.5, so give THIS a try.

This beta MUST be installed on top of an existing Winstep Xtreme v11.5 installation and you MUST exit all running Winstep applications before running Setup.

Also, once installed, open the Behavior tab of the Dock Properties dialog for each of your docks, make sure the 'Show this dock when the mouse pointer bumps screen edge' setting is enabled, set the 'Which action would you like to use to activate this dock' setting to 'None' and then test what happens when you have a maximized window on screen and you bump the screen edge associated to that dock, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, Rob, did the update solve the 'generic icon' problem for sub-docks?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm 

sorry, could just test it now. Yes, it seems the "generic icon" issue is gone AND the tray is now customizable from the dialog. Very good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great! :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]