Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 11.5 un-re-un-reinstall ... I love Jorge again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm 

Well, I was ready to throw 11.5 out, I really was - it was so unstable after I did the auto-update, and lots of things just went horribly wrong. I had duplicated docs, weird behaviour from W_7_Extreme and a number of other hiccups. Nothing I tried from within WX seemed to fix anything, despite a few un-re-un-res. I nearly posted here several times, but bit my own backside instead. Never say die and all that! In the end today I uninstalled WinEx totally, then did a LOT of spring cleaning of my system generally - registry purges, defrags, even moved my user profile to another drive and so on and so forth. I then downloaded 11.5 and started totally from scratch - i.e. resisted the temptation to restore an old config. Since then, everything has sailed along super smoothly - not a malicious peep out of any aspect. Where and when things have been a bit iffy, the fix has been there - just a matter of trolling through options! Of which we have so many that takes time!

I should say that there's not much software out there that provides the level of support that Jorge does. If any. I mean he actually visits and responds in the forum and even listens to what his users want, as far as practicable. (Go tell Adobe what you want in Photoshop and see where you get!) Jorge ... you da man. :D

Robin
aka The Mother-in-Law

Post subject: Re: 11.5 un-re-un-reinstall ... I love Jorge again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 pm 

Hoods wrote:
I should say that there's not much software out there that provides the level of support that Jorge does. If any. I mean he actually visits and responds in the forum and even listens to what his users want, as far as practicable. (Go tell Adobe what you want in Photoshop and see where you get!) Jorge ... you da man. :D

Robin
aka The Mother-in-Law

agree 110%. jorge i have thought about on my next rebuild of windows doing the same thing. running 11.5 fresh and just going through the settings and doing them by hand and just forget about my backups. i was wondering if we as users have access to the ini, txt, or whatever file that list our preferences? it would make it far easier to setup winstep from scratch having a list of our settings handy.

Post subject: Re: 11.5 un-re-un-reinstall ... I love Jorge again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's great, Robin, but now we will never know what was causing the instability with your old settings, and I won't be able to find the cause and fix it.

Why didn't you post here when you were having problems?

I don't *love* bug reports (nobody likes it when someone says bad things about their babies, eheh) but I see all of them as an opportunity to fix things and make the product even better.

Most Winstep users set Xtreme or Nexus the way they like it and then they don't deviate (much) from that configuration. This probably explains why nobody (including me) was seeing any problems in v11.5.

It's when you run with an unusual combination of settings that problems can creep up (and given the staggering amount of customization options in Winstep software I simply can't test all possible combinations).

For me to be able to reproduce and fix those problems, I need to know exactly what settings you're running with. If you only report problems AFTER you've fixed them by restoring to a clean state, we all lost a golden opportunity to fix what was causing the problem in the first place.

You're already the second Winstep user that did this. Now I'm left scratching my head, knowing there could be a time bomb ready to explode in the code somewhere, but not knowing exactly where.

Duplicate docks could come from Restoring settings, as I found and fixed already. The duplicate docks would disappear, however, if you re-started Xtreme. What other problems did you see?

Anyway, thanks for the Kudos. :P

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]