Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scanner Shortcut Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14 pm 

I finally got around to installing my printer/scanner. The scanner shortcut won't work in Winstep Xtreme. It doesn't matter where I put it. I placed it in WorkShelf, the Dock on the bottom and the one on the side but got the same result.

However, when I close Xtreme the icon shows normally on the Desktop and works correctly. I have it set to hide Desktop icons.

Here are some screen shots to illustrate the problem. I didn't have this problem in XP. Is there something that Windows 7 doesn't like Xtreme doing?

Attachment:
File comment: This is it on the Desktop
Win Scan.png
Win Scan.png [ 11.28 KiB | Viewed 21814 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is it in WorkShelf
Win Scan 2.png
Win Scan 2.png [ 6.31 KiB | Viewed 21814 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This the error message I get if I click on it while anywhere in Xtreme
Win Scan 3.png
Win Scan 3.png [ 31.5 KiB | Viewed 21814 times ]

Post subject: Re: Scanner Shortcut Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, in that last screenshot, don't you find the space that appears between "C:\Users\" and "\Desktop\Scan Photos..." strange?

Can you please right click on that item in the Dock, select 'Dock Item Properties' and post a screenshot of the Properties dialog?

Also, right click on the actual shortcut in your Desktop, select Properties and post a screenshot of the Properties dialog for that shortcut.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 am 

winstep wrote:
Windy, in that last screenshot, don't you find the space that appears between "C:\Users\" and "\Desktop\Scan Photos..." strange?

I edited out that part. I should have placed dashes in there to avoid confusion. Sorry about that.

Attachment:
File comment: This is from WorkShelf. I also clicked on Open File Location.
Win Scan 4.png
Win Scan 4.png [ 51.58 KiB | Viewed 21805 times ]

This is from the Desktop. I also clicked on Open File Location.

BTW, the printer was off when I took the screen shot so some of the items aren't present in the printer dialog box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 pm 

I just noticed a difference in the context menu with all of the other shortcuts. The context menu for the scanner shortcut is missing a lot of things. What is different about this shortcut that's making this happen and making this not work with Xtreme?

Attachment:
Win Scan 6.png
Win Scan 6.png [ 19.27 KiB | Viewed 21789 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm 

This is adding to what I posted above. I just tried putting the shortcut on the dock via Insert New Dock Item by right-clicking on the Dock.

When I clicked on Find Item and browsed to where I can see Control Panel, everything is grayed-out and it wouldn't allow me to click on the appropriate heading to add the shortcut.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 am 

Some weird behavior has befallen Xtreme because of this. I copied the shortcut to the Documents folder and then dragged it to the Dock.

It didn't show an icon. It left a blank space, however, upon mouse-over it shows the name of the shortcut. Then after a minute or so it locked-up Xtreme. I had to restart the computer. I'm able to reproduce the lockup.

Another strange thing is if I drag the shortcut to a folder from Workshelf it will show the icon correctly and also cause the shortcut to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:18 pm 

Some shortcuts aren't created as standard shortcuts but as kind of scripts/ small applications.
I think it's your case but I can't be sure until I see it. Could you please post me the shortcut file (in a zip file) so I can take a look at it?
Also, it could be helpful knowing the exact procedure you're using to create the shortcut.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's probably an issue with Windows 64 bit automatic File and Registry re-direction for 32 bit applications. This can be solved for shortcuts that resolve into files in the file system, but if it's a shortcut to a virtual item (like this one seems to be), resolution might depend on accessing the Windows Registry. Since re-direction for Registry accesses (unlike the file system) cannot be turned off except for direct Registry accesses, shortcut resolution might return a pidl that doesn't work when launched from a 32 bit application.

This is normally solved by launching the shortcut (.lnk file) itself instead of the target of the shortcut. Not sure why it's not working in your case but I would bet it has something to do with the above.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 pm 

T3STY wrote:
Some shortcuts aren't created as standard shortcuts but as kind of scripts/ small applications.
I think it's your case but I can't be sure until I see it. Could you please post me the shortcut file (in a zip file) so I can take a look at it?
Also, it could be helpful knowing the exact procedure you're using to create the shortcut.

I have tried numerous methods of making the shortcut, two of which I've posted.

The first method I tried was to open the Control Panel (scanner must be turned on), click on Devices and Printers,

then on the printer icon,

then on Scanner Management Operate your scanner,

then right-click on Scan Photos or Documents Open the W/A driver,

then left-click on Create shortcut which sends it to the Desktop.

As you can see from the first post, I have Xtreme set to hide Desktop icons so it will automatically be in Workshelf.

Second method.
Windy wrote:
This is adding to what I posted above. I just tried putting the shortcut on the dock via Insert New Dock Item by right-clicking on the Dock.

When I clicked on Find Item and browsed to where I can see Control Panel, everything is grayed-out and it wouldn't allow me to click on the appropriate heading to add the shortcut.

Third method.
Windy wrote:
Some weird behavior has befallen Xtreme because of this. I copied the shortcut to the Documents folder (from the scanner icon on the Desktop, of course with Xtreme closed and then reopened it) and then dragged it to the Dock.

It didn't show an icon. It left a blank space, however, upon mouse-over it shows the name of the shortcut. Then after a minute or so it locked-up Xtreme. I had to restart the computer. I'm able to reproduce the lockup.

Another strange thing is if I drag the shortcut to a folder from Workshelf (which doesn't work and shows as illustrated in the first post) it will show the icon correctly and also cause the shortcut to work.

I just added the underlined parts to clarify the steps I made. T3STY, I'll PM you zip two files. One I made from Workshelf, and the other from the Desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm 

I got the shortcut and, as Jorge said, it points not to an executable but to a virtual item. The only solution to this is an implementation in Winstep for Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection which would make a 32-bit applications able to point to a 64-bit directory/handler/item. But I see it a little difficult to implement (I tried and I couldn't get it done by some simple DLL calls to kernel32.dll)... so what do you say Jorge, any chance you'll be working on this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection is already used where appropriate, which is why usually you don't see any problems launching 64 bit applications from Winstep 32 bit applications.

However, Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection works ONLY for file system accesses. The problem, as I explained above, is that the target of that shortcut is *not* part of the file system. To resolve it, Windows must access some classes in the *Registry* which apparently only exist in the 64 bit node, and are thus not visible to 32 bit applications because of *Registry* re-direction.

This is a problem with the way Windows itself handles virtual items.

One thing you can try is point to the shortcut file directly from the item in the dock (e.g.; the path would be C:\<path to shortcut>\Scan Photos or Documents.lnk).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:31 am 

Windy wrote:

Jorge, is this what you mean by pointing the shortcut file directly from the item in the dock? If so as you can see, it won't allow me to do it.

BTW, do you have a Windows 7 64 bit/32 bit PC with a printer/scanner that you can test it out on?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:09 pm 

No, he didn't mean to point the item in Control Panel, but the shortcut you've created on the desktop. Insert a new item on the dock by right-click > insert new dock item > item; then instead of looking for the shortcut with find item, put the path for the shortcut file in the Filename field.
Example:
(assuming your shortcut is called My Printer)
C:\Users\%YourUserName%\Desktop\My Printer.lnk

By doing so, the dock would say the OS to run a shortcut; then the OS will take care of running it 64-bit. Let us know if it works :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm 

Nope, won't work. I tried numerous things of which most caused Xtreme to lock-up.

I finally tried to uninstall the printer and found out that it isn't installed. Not in the classic way. It isn't in Add or Remove. The only place I found it is in C:\ProgramData\CanonBJ\IJPrinter\CNMWindows which doesn't lead to something that opens the scanner.

When I attempted to reinstall the printer I get an error message that says "This setup program is not for 64-bit Windows".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 pm 

Windy, please note that the Control Panel icon of your printer is not the same thing as any additional printer management software!
For you, the software you can find the Program Files folder (or any other folder) was offered along with the printer, and it's needed to manage the printer in its purposes. The Control Panel icon instead only provides some basic/generic settings for the printer, and it mainly serves for setting the sharing settings of the printer, or troubleshooting in case it doesn't work fine.

In this case, if for you is more important the Control Panel icon then you know how things *work* with Nexus. But if for you is more important to manage the printer then I suggest you to create a shortcut to the management software.

Now, back to your situation.

I'm not sure what caused that error message. Try after a pc restart to reinstall it.
And generally, even if you installed any software, it doesn't mean that it has to put a uninstall item in Add/Remove (rarely it may happen that an error occurs and this is why the add/remove item is not displayed).
Though, how did you uninstall the software, did you use any uninstall program from the installation folder you mentioned above? Or did you delete the folder?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next