Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Scanner Shortcut Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:37 am 

I've confused you by the way I wrote it. I didn't uninstall it because I don't see a way to do that because it won't even show in Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner.

I attempted to install again it to see if it would install over whatever is there but instead got that error message. There is no Canon folder in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) so I have no idea why the printer and scanner is working.

Another thing is that the printer and fax shortcuts work with no problem in Xtreme, but I notice that they are in a different area than the scanner launch point. I have to click on the printer icon to get to where the scanner properties and launch point is.
Attachment:
Printer & Fax.png
Printer & Fax.png [ 35.57 KiB | Viewed 9192 times ]

This is after clicking on the printer. Then I have to click on Operate your scanner to get to the scanner area.
Attachment:
Scanner x.png
Scanner x.png [ 109.83 KiB | Viewed 9192 times ]

Then I have to click on Scan Photo or Documents to open the dialog box to scan. This is also where I send the shortcut to the Desktop from.
Attachment:
Scanner Launch.png
Scanner Launch.png [ 88 KiB | Viewed 9192 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm 

T3STY wrote:
No, he didn't mean to point the item in Control Panel, but the shortcut you've created on the desktop. Insert a new item on the dock by right-click > insert new dock item > item; then instead of looking for the shortcut with find item, put the path for the shortcut file in the Filename field.
Example:
(assuming your shortcut is called My Printer)
C:\Users\%YourUserName%\Desktop\My Printer.lnk

By doing so, the dock would say the OS to run a shortcut; then the OS will take care of running it 64-bit. Let us know if it works :)

i have tested all of the different ways in this thread and none of them work to show the shortcut on nexus, or should i say i have the shortcut on nexus but i get the same error message as i do when clicking on it on the desktop. i have a mp490 all-in-one. i also tried running the shortcut from the desktop with no luck.

EDIT:

also from the desktop the shortcut works correctly and the icon shows correctly. i click the shortcut on the desktop tab of workshelf and i get the same error as in the first post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:54 pm 

@krazdkiller: you have Windy's same problem, you're pointing to a 64-bit virtual item from 32-bit application, which cannot access 64-bit items.

Actually I have no idea how to solve this. the last thing I can suggest would be making a BAT or CMD file and make it start the shortcut, but I think that Nexus will still start a 32-bit command line window and it will get to the same result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 pm 

T3STY wrote:
@krazdkiller: you have Windy's same problem, you're pointing to a 64-bit virtual item from 32-bit application, which cannot access 64-bit items.

Actually I have no idea how to solve this. the last thing I can suggest would be making a BAT or CMD file and make it start the shortcut, but I think that Nexus will still start a 32-bit command line window and it will get to the same result.

i don't want the scanner shortcut. i just happened to notice that windy has a mp500 and i wanted to see if since i have the mp490 if i could figure out a work-around, and if maybe it was just a problem on windy's system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm 

Thanks guys for trying to sort this out. All this means is that Jorge will just have to make a 64-bit version of Xtreme. Simple enough. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:07 pm 

Well... I'd say that a 64-bit version would be appreciated, but I'm not sure if Jorge wants to... if he did, he would have already brought it to us...
What do you say, Jorge?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 pm 

winstep wrote:
Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection is already used where appropriate, which is why usually you don't see any problems launching 64 bit applications from Winstep 32 bit applications.

However, Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection works ONLY for file system accesses. The problem, as I explained above, is that the target of that shortcut is *not* part of the file system. To resolve it, Windows must access some classes in the *Registry* which apparently only exist in the 64 bit node, and are thus not visible to 32 bit applications because of *Registry* re-direction.

This is a problem with the way Windows itself handles virtual items.

One thing you can try is point to the shortcut file directly from the item in the dock (e.g.; the path would be C:\<path to shortcut>\Scan Photos or Documents.lnk).

Hi Jorge. I saw this Tip of the Day article from Kim Komando that just came out and I'm wondering if this could remedy this issue.

The first link starts at the beginning of the article.

The second link, page 2, which is important.

The third link is from something I clicked on within the article that I deem apropos to this issue.

The fourth link is to the patch at MS which also has more info about the patch if you click on the patch number.

Link 1. http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx? ... aign=end-b

Link 2. http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx? ... d-b&page=2

Link 3. http://www.komando.com/downloads/category.aspx?id=8681

Link 4. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... en&id=6906

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:42 pm 

thanks windy, but that won't fix the issue. the effort is really appreciated though.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2