Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: can not update nexus ultimate! please help...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:13 pm 

hi,
i'm using nexus ultimate version 11.05.0966. i'm facing an weird problem. whenever i try to install a new update (automatically downloaded by software itself), it fails and gives me an error message. i have to abort the procedure. i have attached the error message. please go through it. many many thanks. i need the solution very badly. waiting for your kind response.
regards

Attachments:
winstep.jpg
winstep.jpg [ 249.22 KiB | Viewed 22914 times ]

Post subject: Re: can not update nexus ultimate! please help...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:26 pm 

For some reason the process of WsUpdate.exe was not closed. Maybe you didn't exit all winstep applications before installing the update?
When this error happens open the Task Manager and in the Processes tab check for any winstep related process (especially WsUpdate.exe as I think it's an Update Manager update that you're installing), if there is still any process running, close it and in the error dialog press Retry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:57 am 

T3STY wrote:
For some reason the process of WsUpdate.exe was not closed. Maybe you didn't exit all winstep applications before installing the update?
When this error happens open the Task Manager and in the Processes tab check for any winstep related process (especially WsUpdate.exe as I think it's an Update Manager update that you're installing), if there is still any process running, close it and in the error dialog press Retry.

many many thanks, usually what happens in case of other softwares whenever built in updater updates, it closes all applications by itself during installation. so i manually never tried that. when winstep updater prompts me to update, should i close WsUpdate.exe just before installation? if i do so, the updater box on the desktop will vanish. let me try this. i will definitely notify you. many many thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Winstep Update Manager (WsUpdate.exe) should have exited automatically after launching the setup application. No idea why it hang around in your case.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:12 am 

T3STY wrote:

there is no such wsupdate.exe. basically the present update is trying to install winstep updater (wsupdate.exe).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Wsupdate.exe is not running and you are still getting 'Access Denied', then the other likely reason is that, for some reason, the setup application is not running with Admin privileges, and thus cannot write to C:\Program Files. This shouldn't happen, because Win7 heuristics should automatically give you a UAC prompt for applications named 'setup'.

Exit the setup application, go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Versions\ and look for a file called 'setup.exe'. Right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:52 pm 

Or also, whenever you get an Access Denied error it almost always is related to the UAC (user Account Control) which won't prompt the user for allowing an application or not to do some things, and will automatically block the application *thinking* it's dangerous. The solution would be to temporary disable the UAC so you'll run with full admin rights, then re-enable it.

Personally, I think UAC is not as helpful as it should be so I totally disabled it. But this is only my opinion :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
If Wsupdate.exe is not running and you are still getting 'Access Denied', then the other likely reason is that, for some reason, the setup application is not running with Admin privileges, and thus cannot write to C:\Program Files. This shouldn't happen, because Win7 heuristics should automatically give you a UAC prompt for applications named 'setup'.

Exit the setup application, go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Versions\ and look for a file called 'setup.exe'. Right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

i did that, but again faced the same problem!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:30 pm 

T3STY wrote:
Or also, whenever you get an Access Denied error it almost always is related to the UAC (user Account Control) which won't prompt the user for allowing an application or not to do some things, and will automatically block the application *thinking* it's dangerous. The solution would be to temporary disable the UAC so you'll run with full admin rights, then re-enable it.

Personally, I think UAC is not as helpful as it should be so I totally disabled it. But this is only my opinion :)

sorry, i'm totally noob. how to disable uac?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:38 pm 

@Jorge: is the updater using any protected directories? I highly suspect is a UAC related problem.

@sidhu1990: as I said before, try to temporary disable the UAC and retry. To do this:
>> Vista
Start > Run (or search input) > msconfig > press "enter" key > Tools > Disable User Account Control
>> Seven
Start > Control Panel > Accounts (or similar) > user account > Change User Acccount Control settings > Drag bar to bottom (disabled)

For both a restart is needed in order to apply the changes.
To restore UAC:
>> Vista:
Start > Run (or search input) > msconfig > press "enter" key > Tools > Enable User Account Control
>> Seven
Start > Control Panel > Accounts (or similar) > User account > Change User Acccount Control settings > Drag bar to Level 1 or 2 (highly suggested level 1 -default- 2, 3 and 4 cause a lot of unnecessary troubles)

let us know :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sidhu1990, sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you checked to see if WsUpdate.exe was running, did you do it from the Processes tab of the Windows Task Manager or from the Applications tab? You need to check for it in the Processes tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 am 

sorry, for late reply. i'm using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. i followed your directions & disabled uac. i found winstep helper service, nexus ultimate. i stopped both of those processes even stopped one at a time but same result. i have attached screenshots of my processes window. please go through it, if i missed any thing. should i reinstall it. will my ws-key will work, if i download latest version from website? i'm within 1 yr licensing period. many many thanks. in that case i have to rearrange all the icons. that will be very tiresome.

Attachments:
task 2.jpg
task 2.jpg [ 68.09 KiB | Viewed 22879 times ]
task 1.jpg
task 1.jpg [ 86.7 KiB | Viewed 22879 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm 

If you're going to reinstall using the installer downloaded from the home you can make a backup of your settings before reinstalling. it's in Preferences > Advanced > Backup.
Although, I and Jorge would like you to keep on trying with the actual version so we'll understand if it's a bug of Nexus or if it comes from elsewhere.

Anyway, as you disabled UAC, if you normally start the update (from nexus) does it still show the "Access denied" dialog?
Also, it might seem a stupid question, but have you ever modified the users rights in the security tab of the Program Files folder properties? Or, if you have added a registry key to enable the context menu item "Take Ownership", have you used it to take ownership on the root of your hard drive? - This may have messed up with the user rights.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it's not a bug in Nexus, that's for sure.

My guess is also that this is some kind of a ownership/user rights issue. Either that or the whole Winstep folder/items in Program Files have been set to 'Read-only'.

As T3STY recommended, I would make a backup of Nexus settings to the *Windows Desktop* (not to the default Backup folder, which will be removed when you uninstall Nexus), uninstall Nexus telling it to remove everything, manually check that the Winstep folder has been removed from C:\Program Files\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ if you are running a 64 bit system), download and install the full version from the Winstep web site, then restore from the backup that you made to the Windows Desktop folder.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm 

T3STY wrote:
If you're going to reinstall using the installer downloaded from the home you can make a backup of your settings before reinstalling. it's in Preferences > Advanced > Backup.
Although, I and Jorge would like you to keep on trying with the actual version so we'll understand if it's a bug of Nexus or if it comes from elsewhere.

Anyway, as you disabled UAC, if you normally start the update (from nexus) does it still show the "Access denied" dialog?
Also, it might seem a stupid question, but have you ever modified the users rights in the security tab of the Program Files folder properties? Or, if you have added a registry key to enable the context menu item "Take Ownership", have you used it to take ownership on the root of your hard drive? - This may have messed up with the user rights.

hi,
thanks. i'm still getting that same dialogue box which i posted earlier. i never changed user rights. this is for the first time after reading the above posts, i changed it to lower setting. i never play with registry, because those are latin or hebrew to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next