Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: can not update nexus ultimate! please help...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
Well, it's not a bug in Nexus, that's for sure.

My guess is also that this is some kind of a ownership/user rights issue. Either that or the whole Winstep folder/items in Program Files have been set to 'Read-only'.

As T3STY recommended, I would make a backup of Nexus settings to the *Windows Desktop* (not to the default Backup folder, which will be removed when you uninstall Nexus), uninstall Nexus telling it to remove everything, manually check that the Winstep folder has been removed from C:\Program Files\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ if you are running a 64 bit system), download and install the full version from the Winstep web site, then restore from the backup that you made to the Windows Desktop folder.

after reading your post i checked that winstep folder in program file x86 ( i use 64 bit windows ultimate). yes, it is read only. i tried to change that but could not do that. later i found all the other folders are also set as 'read only'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 pm 

Go in the Program Files (x86) folder and right-click the Winstep folder > Properties > Security > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Advanced > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Change authorization > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Modify > check "Full control" > OK > OK > OK > Apply > OK
Now you should have full control over the files and the folders of Nexus/Winstep and you shouldn't get any Access Denied error. Just remember to run Nexus as Administrator.

%UserName% is your username
%UserGroup% is your usergroup name
please note that Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) is different than Users (%UserName%/%UserGroup%)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm 

T3STY wrote:
Go in the Program Files (x86) folder and right-click the Winstep folder > Properties > Security > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Advanced > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Change authorization > select Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) > Modify > check "Full control" > OK > OK > OK > Apply > OK
Now you should have full control over the files and the folders of Nexus/Winstep and you shouldn't get any Access Denied error. Just remember to run Nexus as Administrator.

please note that Administrators (%UserName%/%UserGroup%) is different than Users (%UserName%/%UserGroup%)

many thanks. i followed your advice. i got the full control of folder. even after that when i wanted to remove only, i didn't happen. i have attached the screenshot what i have done to winstep folder. even after reinstallation it is happening. as per your advice i took backup before uninstall. but after reinstallation it automatically reverted to old settings, i did not have to resore! another strange thing happened. i downloaded animated icon pack from winstep web site. i was using some of them. but after reinstall those areas are blank! when i checked dock entry properties it was showing garbled colours & lines!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 pm 

sidhu1990 wrote:
T3STY wrote:

many thanks. i followed your advice. i got the full control of folder. even after that when i wanted to remove only, i didn't happen. i have attached the screenshot what i have done to winstep folder. even after reinstallation it is happening. as per your advice i took backup before uninstall. but after reinstallation it automatically reverted to old settings, i did not have to resore! another strange thing happened. i downloaded animated icon pack from winstep web site. i was using some of them. but after reinstall those areas are blank! when i checked dock entry properties it was showing garbled colours & lines!

after uninstall something has gone wrong!!!!! previously ws.key looked like a 'w' sign. now it is greyed out thing. if i double click it, windows says it can not open the file! in the past just after double clicking i used to get 'thanks for registering'.

now what!!! am i in deep trouble?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure you installed Nexus Ultimate and not the free version of Nexus?

Open Nexus Ultimate Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, click 'TroubleShooting Options', then click the 'Restore File Associations' button.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm 

exxxxxtremely sorry. i have downloaded the free version of nexus, i think so after readind your post. i searched for download link of nexus ultimate in winstep site. couldn't find it. only found "add to cart". i saved the mail when i bought nexus ultimate. should i click the link mentioned in that mail? will nexus ultimate latest version be downloaded after the link or the same old version that i have got? many many thanks for your patience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:31 pm 

problem is solved now. after clicking the old link i got the latest version 11.6. went for a clean install. according to your advice i backed up the settings before. in a few seconds everything is up & running perfectly well. it is showing that i have got the latest one , no more updates are available. many many thanks to you all for your kind & patient hearing. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 pm 

I'm glad you got a solution shidu :)

Although, I'm still curious about what was happening with the Access Denied... and, btw Jorge, yesterday I have run Nimi Visuals and I got an Access Violation error (pressed retry and Nexus continued working without crashing). Still don't know why and how to reproduce, I'll report when having news.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2