Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Adjust Volume for Time Announcement?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:16 am 

Since I'm no longer using a laptop that uses mousy speakers but a Desktop that uses much more powerful ones, I need to be able to adjust only the time announcement volume since now with these speakers it's very loud.

Another reason is if I'm using a player I can adjust it so either I can barely hear it, hear it loudly, or not hear it at all.

Is there a way to accomplish this? I don't want to mute everything in Xtreme because obviously I want to hear the announcement, and I like the sounds-especially the one when Workshelf collapses. I also like the sound when I click an item on the Dock.

Post subject: Re: Adjust Volume for Time Announcement?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

From Vista onwards, the Windows mixer allows you to adjust the volume on a per-application basis.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 pm 

I tried, but couldn't figure how to access the clock announcement via the Windows mixer.

Please tell me how to accomplish this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 pm 

It's "per application", therefore, you adjust the volume of Nexus or Winstep. You can't possibly expect the mixer to *know* which modules of Nexus/Winstep produce sound and have different sliders for each one...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm 

I was wondering how that was possible myself, but heh, I'm no computer guru. I only have sparse flashes of one a few times every millennia. I misunderstood what Jorge meant by "per application".

The time announcement is louder than the hide/collapse (ws/Collapse.wav) sound effect, and the sound effect when a Dock item is clicked: Launch Item-(ws/click.wav). So dropping the volume of Winstep/Xtreme would practically mute the Collapse and Launch sound effects. I think that the latter sound effects are so brief that even if they were just as loud it probably wouldn't matter.

During the day it isn't really a problem, however at night when things are quiet, it's much more prevalent. (Family members trying to sleep). I know there's a setting to shut it off between a certain time, but I don't want to shut it off.

Jorge, is it possible to add a feature to adjust the volume of the time announcement? Like I said previously, daytime isn't a problem and I like being able to hear it if I'm in another room at the time, so don't get any ideas about lowering the volume of the time announcement. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:22 pm 

Hey, since you mentioned it, I'd like a "per sound" volume, if possible. I mean, some .wav files are louder than others, or some frequencies are much more prevalent than others (at least in my ears) so I think that would be very nice, to be able to have an independent volume for each effect.
Of course, time announcement (and chimes) would get to have its own volume too.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 pm 

Instead, I just think that the announcements (and all other sounds) should just be normalized (reducing volume).
In this case I'd suggest you to just get the audio files of the announcements from Nexus's folder and open them in any audio editing software (a free good working example is audacity - personally I use Nero Wave Editor), then check out for volume normalization (or volume change) and adjust it to what you think it's better for you.

Also, as suggestion for further announcement voices that users will make (I hope you see this thread), check the volume of your recorded files and make sure it's not too loud.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:37 pm 

Still prefer to have the option of being able to tailor the level of the sounds. Jorge is the master of tailoring. I'll just let Xtreme do the talking!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ain't in the business of sound mixing! :wink:

Sorry, Windy, I'm not going to add options to adjust the volume of individual sound files... As T3STY suggested (although he was talking to me), try editing the Female or Male voice wav files in a Sound Editor and reducing their volume there.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 pm 

That's too bad. I thought your stage name was Mixmaster Winstepper and you would hook it up, even adding some extra stuff to have us all rockin' the house! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]