Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Improve performance
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:37 pm 

t3sty you might want to grab a trial copy of bbflashback. i find it uses less resources that camtasia studio. and it is just as good.

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/bbflashback.aspx

@windy, nice little program, thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm 

Thank you all for the suggestions :)
Jorge, I'm sorry for having useless bothered you; the problem was WindowBlinds. Today I was using SkinStudio and the skin didn't apply correctly and got the classic style. I have unloaded WindowBlinds and still used the computer for a while with the classic style. It resulted that Nexus worked greatly and no breaks were happening.
Now I have added Nexus to the exceptions list, totally ignoring the application, and works fine even with WindowBlinds running.

Sorry, again..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
The only problem is that video capture programs consume *a lot* of CPU resources when capturing, so that by itself will interfere with whatever you are trying to show. On the other hand, perhaps it will also slow down things enough for me to understand exactly what you mean by 'small breaks'.

I use my digital camera(Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290) for those situations.

Some effects like Magnify, passing the mouse fast left and right over the dock, CPU usage goes to 54% with an E6750(2.6Ghz overclocked at 3.2Ghz).
GPU is only using 10% of its power for the effects and it does not switch to Performance 3D level.
Is it possible to make more use of the video card to free CPU ?
Can Nexus make use of the "Threaded Optimization" that Nvidia has in Control Panel ?

I see some people in reviews complain that Nexus consume alot resources, wich is not true, the program itself consumes nothing(22MB memory and minimal CPU), not even the gadgets, the effects are the one thing that maybe could be resources improved.

Side Note: I have an EVGA GTX 260, and the 200 series use 3 performance levels(Standard 2D, low-power 3D, Performance 3D), depending if you are using applications that require more power.

I was having an issue in XP that when dragged a window it would stutter for 2 seconds, it is related to the video card.

In Windows Desktop, it is using "Standard 2D", when i dragged a window, GPU changes clock and voltage to use Performance 3D and that is what was causing the suttering.
Now i've set permanent Performance 3D, problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm 

my personal suggestion is to give the use the choice between using the cpu or gpu mainly for the various winstep effects. i personally would prefer using the gpu. my reasoning for this is one i rarely game, and two most of my big boy programs are not gpu intensive, but they are cpu intensive. maybe also include a way for the user to switch between cpu and gpu for winstep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GraphicAdventure wrote:
Some effects like Magnify, passing the mouse fast left and right over the dock, CPU usage goes to 54% with an E6750(2.6Ghz overclocked at 3.2Ghz).

That would be normal on the CPU - keep in mind this only happens when you are mousing over the dock, otherwise CPU usage should remain pretty low.

I suspect some users are complaining about this when they mention high CPU usage, but in that case that's just being picky. I mean, nobody is constantly mousing over their dock, you usually only do it when you are about to launch a program from it. It's like complaining their word processor makes intensive use of their hard disk when *saving* a document.

GraphicAdventure wrote:
Is it possible to make more use of the video card to free CPU ?

No, because Nexus uses GDI and GDI+. To use the GPU, rendering would have to be performed through DirectX, which would require many changes to the code only for you to have a different set of problems.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2