Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Running Programs not updating
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:12 am 

hi everyone

just installed 11.6 and setup a theme, w/ nice taskbar etc..

unfortunately the "show running applications in this dock" is not updating when opening programs, explorer, firefox etc..

if you disable and then enable it does update, is there any known glitches with this not working?

running win7 x64

Post subject: Re: Running Programs not updating
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 am 

This is the first time I read about such an issue, it never happened to me or others before.
Could you test if this issue only happens with a specified theme (the one you've installed) or with all the themes? Also, are you noticing any other strange behaviour in the opened programs list of Nexus (like a opened programs doesn't show, the others do; or a program remains still opened after closing)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 am 

well ive tried with 3x different theme's
leopard
lighttech
leonida3dthin

when i change the theme the running programs update for the interium, i can not close them from the bar, or if i open other programs it does not update again.

the rest of nexus is working fine, kinda annoying as i want to get rid of my windows bar completely

is there a beta version i can try?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you using any other shell enhancement or replacement for Windows Explorer?

Does the problem persist if you exit and re-start Nexus?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:31 am 

no just normal windows explorer,

been playing with it and found that any change in the settings for the dock then hit 'apply' will update the running programs. change color or size etc..

also, made another separate dock and put in set it to show running applications and same again! :cry: simply wont update and show what is currently running

re-starting app does not fix the issue, again just shows what is currently running and then wont update if you close open or try to switch to another app

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was another user here having the same problem (don't remember which thread, sorry).

Instead of polling every second, Winstep uses a 'shell hook' to be notified of changes to top level windows. These Shell notifications in turn trigger the refresh of the list of running applications.

Apparently something in your system - and the other user - is breaking the hook. No notifications, no refreshes of the list.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 am 

is there another shell extension i can use/try? anything that is compatible ?

is there anywhere that hosts older versions of winstep extreme? perhaps could be the version interfering with this alienware version of windows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:07 am 

any idea's ? would be nice to have it working

is there any older version's of extreme hosted online i could try? any shell hook upgrades in previous versions etc.?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

3rotor wrote:
is there any older version's of extreme hosted online i could try? any shell hook upgrades in previous versions etc.?

No, the shell hook has been used since the beginning.

Couple of questions:

1. Did you originally download Winstep Xtreme from the Winstep web site (or Cnet's Download.com) or from somewhere else?

2. How many days are left in your trial?

3. Since you're running Xtreme and not Nexus or Nexus Ultimate, does the NextSTART taskbar update properly?

4. If you add a 'Active Tasks' tab to the Shelf, does the running programs list there update properly?

5. Can you confirm in the Processes tab of the Windows Task Manager that 'explorer.exe' is running?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 am 

1. Did you originally download Winstep Xtreme from the Winstep web site (or Cnet's Download.com) or from somewhere else?

i downloaded the xtreme.zip from the link out of the email i got together with my reg key

2. How many days are left in your trial?

paid, still got a 1yr remaining

3. Since you're running Xtreme and not Nexus or Nexus Ultimate, does the NextSTART taskbar update properly?

are you talking about the shelf?

4. If you add a 'Active Tasks' tab to the Shelf, does the running programs list there update properly?

the shelf does not update if you add active tasks :( unless you go into properties and make a change (hence hook must be failing with that too?)

5. Can you confirm in the Processes tab of the Windows Task Manager that 'explorer.exe' is running?[/quote]

yeap definatly running

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

3rotor wrote:
i downloaded the xtreme.zip from the link out of the email i got together with my reg key

Sorry, you must have used another email address when you registered.

3rotor wrote:

are you talking about the shelf?

No. Have a look HERE.

Anyway, by looking at the code, your issue will only happen if the hook takes (if the hooking process itself fails, the software reverts back to the polling method and your windows would still update) - but then no messages are sent by the hook to notify the software of changes in other windows.

This might happen if a) Explorer is not running, b) Explorer is NOT set as the Shell (read THIS MSDN article) or c) something is breaking the hook chain.

Unfortunately, other than adding a 'Do not use WH_SHELL hook' troubleshooting setting to the next release, I don't see a way to solve your problem: it's not a bug in the software per se, after all.

I can also try to see if calling the SystemParametersInfo function as suggested by the above MSDN article solves the problem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I've implemented the SystemParametersInfo method to see if that gets the shell hook working in your system, but I have no way to know if it works or not because nobody else is suffering from this problem here.

I'll let you know once I have some beta code you can try.

By the way, are you running ANY software whatsoever that interferes with, or changes, the way windows are minimized?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 pm 

I paid for the Winstep Extreme Basic Edition, if that helps.

i mainly just wanted it to remove the windows taskbar altogether as winstep has nice theme's, show's running programs, and has the all important system tray. other than that i dont use the other features like the dock shelf or widgets.

the only thing i thought might break the hook might be the copy of windows i have, as it came on the laptop preloaded with my new alienware m14x, i cant see a reason for it to break the shell, unless there is a driver or pre-installed program interfering

i certainly do appreciate you looking into this for me jorge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:15 pm 

I was using Nexus Dock on my old XPS laptop with no issues. XPS blew up and my new laptop, another Dell, has all my programs re-installed including the Nexus Dock.

My new laptop exhibits the exact same symptoms as the thread starter. Did this issue get resolved?

This issue is making Nexus Dock unusable for me and am having to hate every minute of using Objectdock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you running v11.10 already? It was released today - that's the first official release that implements the SystemParametersInfo method I mentioned above.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next