Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running Programs not updating
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm 

Yes, I noticed the update this morning, just downloaded and gave it a try before posting here. The same result as 10.6 I was running before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, not sure what I can tell you then... you already know this is not a problem with Nexus itself but with something else on your system interfering with it.

On v11.10 I even added a solution for the only known thing that can cause shell hook notifications not be delivered when running a shell other than Explorer.

You could try posting a screenshot of the Processes tab of the Windows Task Manager (don't forget to click 'Show Processes from all user') showing all running applications on your laptop, to see if we can find a common denominator. Of course, a similar screenshot from another user suffering from this problem is also required. Perhaps 3Rotor can provide one as well.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:33 pm 

Well, thanks, but no need. I re-loaded the program made some changes with no change and closed nexus down.

Reading elsewhere about a update server unreachable error it was suggested i turn the nVidia card on globally, diabling the intel discrete chip.

Loaded up Nexus again. The update checking issue was not fixed but noticed my running programs were now being updated.

nVidia / Intel graphics card switching causing the issues I wonder?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might be on to something. Unfortunately these Intel/nVidia combos are becoming more and more common.

My bet is on the nVidia and/or Intel drivers being the culprits. Otherwise, the butler did it. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, if you are having trouble with the Update Manager/Atomic Clock/Weather module/etc... not connecting, you probably have an integrated nVidia network adapter in your laptop (seems that is what is giving problems too). If so, open the Windows Device Manager and see which driver is associated to it - is it from nVidia or Microsoft?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 pm 

I have an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN, a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller under Network Adapters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And which of those are you using to connect to the net?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:22 pm 

Through a ethernet cable which I am guessing is the Realtek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That shouldn't be the problem then. Sigh.

Are you sure it's not your firewall, etc...? Have you taken your laptop to a Wi-Fi hotspot already and tried it there?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One other thing a user just reported and that might have something to do with this: if you right click the clock and tell it to 'Say the Time' does it get past saying 'The Time is...'?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:57 pm 

I too am having this problem. I originally noticed that my CPU usage was running at a constant 16%-20% when idle. The CPU meter would report Workshelf as the CPU hog, usually at a 10% usage. Exiting Workshelf brings the CPU usage back to normal. If I request the clock module to say the time, it only gets as far as the "The time is" and stops. There is no sound after that when requesting to say the time until Workshelf is restarted. Both the weather and the clock icons are flashing in the shelf (as if they are trying to update). I enabled "show running applications in this dock" and found that the Workshelf is not updating the task as originally reported in this thread.
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with NVIDIA Quadro 1000M graphics and running Workshelf 11.10.
Are all of these symtoms ralated? Need to know any adition system details?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

maddog wrote:
Are all of these symtoms ralated?

I believe so. If you set the dock to show a list of running applications and you then close one of them, does the list of running applications update? If I'm on the right track here, it won't.

At first the 'running applications not updating' and the 'weather module/update manager failing to communicate' seemed unrelated issues since they were being reported individually, but now I'm finally seeing a pattern pointing to a common cause.

It's not a problem with the shell hook used to update running applications, nor is it a firewall or Winsock problem as I thought at first. Apparently something in your systems is blocking the sub-classed Winstep control windows from receiving notification of certain events.

Without these notifications, the Winstep applications are unable to know when new Internet data has arrived, sounds have finished playing, or when new windows have been opened or closed.

Please note that this is not a bug/problem with the Winstep applications themselves, as they will work flawlessly on different systems. It's caused by something specific to the system of users affected with these problems, and the common denominator seems to be an Intel/nVidia graphics card combo.

From what I have gathered so far, disabling the Intel graphics card seems to solve most, if not all, of the problems.

My guess is thus a buggy/rogue driver or something of the kind, but - being unable to reproduce the issues here because I don't have such a system - this one is going to be a though one to crack.

I'm going to have to think for a while on what to do about it... last time something similar to this happened, it had to do with a buggy Logitech webcam control panel applet which trashed the stack and crashed Winstep applications whenever they tried to enumerate the contents of the Windows Control Panel. Explorer was 'protected' because it used an independent 'sacrificial' process to perform the enumeration.

I ended up having to buy a Logitech web cam to finally be able to reproduce the problem here and work around it.

As you can imagine, being forced to buy a new laptop, when I don't need one, to solve a bug on someone else's code is NOT something I am looking forward to.

On the other hand, if I don't, new users will just assume the Winstep applications themselves are buggy. Worse, systems with Intel/nVidia combos are getting more and more popular. So this is a lose-lose proposition. Sigh. :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, regarding the high CPU usage, my guess is that your system has a quad-core CPU. Those 16%-20% would be WorkShelf maxing out one of your CPU cores, but this apparent high CPU usage is just a symptom, not the cause of the problem.

When the weather/clock modules try to reach an Internet server, they must first make a DNS resolution request. This will translate a domain name such as 'time.microsoft.com' into an actual IP address.

This DNS resolution phase is critical - on a normal system it usually only lasts a fraction of a second, but the application runs a tight loop during it. If the event that notifies a successful DNS resolution never arrives or is blocked, the tight loop will run until the operation times out (usually after about 30 seconds). During this time the modules will be flashing and CPU usage will appear high (it really isn't, but that's another story).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

maddog wrote:
Need to know any adition system details?

One thing I would like you to try, please: if you change the theme in NextSTART, does WorkShelf also assume the new theme?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 pm 

winstep wrote:
One thing I would like you to try, please: if you change the theme in NextSTART, does WorkShelf also assume the new theme?

Changing the theme in NextSTART does NOT affect WorkShelf. Also, changing the theme in WorkShelf does NOT change NextSTART's theme.

winstep wrote:
If you set the dock to show a list of running applications and you then close one of them, does the list of running applications update?

If you mean the "Show icons of running applications as window thumbnails" feature, then the list (thumbnails) of running applications does NOT update when I close an application.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next