Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart stops working
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 pm 

Whenever I select an item from the Control Panel menu (WinStep/Settings/Control Panel/control panel item), I get the following message:

NextSTART has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.....

>Close program

and NextStart then closes.

I am using NextStart v 11.10

Does anybody have any clues as to why this is happening?

Control Panel is defined in the Menu Properties Editor as:

Item Type: Virtual Folder Menu
Label: Control Panel
Virtual Folder: Control Panel

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: NextStart stops working
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Usually this would be a problem with a corrupted Control Panel applet causing anything that enumerates Control Panel items to crash (Window's Explorer is imune to this because it uses an independent process to peform this enumeration, if something crashes it's that process and not Explorer itself).

On the other hand, the crash would happen when you tried to open the NextSTART Control Panel menu or the Shelf's Control Panel tab, so this is unusual (and unheard of) because, according to you, the crash happens when you actually try to launch an item.

What happens if you open the Windows Control Panel in Explorer, drag one of the items into a NextSTART menu (or the 'Main' tab in the Shelf) and then launch that applet via the newly created shortcut?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 am 

<< What happens if you open the Windows Control Panel in Explorer, drag one of the items into a NextSTART menu (or the 'Main' tab in the Shelf) and then launch that applet via the newly created shortcut?>>

I dragged the following items from an opened Winows CP:

1. Administrative Tools (produced a Virtual Shell Item). Displayed an empty sub-menu when clicked.

2. Desktop Gadgets (produced a VSI) Displayed Dekstop Gadgets window when clicked.

3. Internet Options (produced a VSI) Displayed an Internet Properties window when clicked

4. Date and Time (produced a VSI) Displayed Date and Time settings window

I then deleted the ControlPanel menu item and re-created the CP menu (produced a Virtual Folder Menu and a CP Virtual Folder). However, when I selected an item from the Control Panel menu, I got the same error message as before:

NextSTART has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.....

>Close program

and NextStart then closed.

So the only wat I can access any CP item is to ude Windows button and selct CP from there.

I spent a great deal of time setting up NextStep's menu system, so I don't really want to have to re-install NS from scratch.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Other than a corrupted Control Panel applet causing the problem, no idea what it might be, sorry.

What you can do is create an empty menu with the NextSTART menu editor and then drag all the items from the Windows Control Panel into it (if the Control Panel is in classic view instead of categorized view, you should be able to select and drag all the items at once).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]