Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Xtreme and Windows Vista
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just finished my first incursion into Vista Beta 2. Overall, first impression is not bad at all - but that's not what I want to talk about.

I just tested Winstep Xtreme with Windows Vista and I am glad to say that everything basically works. There are a few points, though:

1 - Windows Vista no longer carries the VB5 Runtime. In the middle of all those thousands of system files, one wonders how difficult it would have been for Microsoft to keep on including the VB run times with the OS - it's not like there aren't THOUSANDS of applications written in VB5 and VB6 still being used every day.

I guess this means Xtreme setup will have to include the VB5 runtime DLL from now on.

2 - Even though NextSTART is still perfectly able to replace the Windows taskbar, Vista has separated the Start Button from the taskbar itself. In practice, this means you can still see the round Vista Start button even when using NextSTART task management. Should be a simple matter to fix.

3 - Oddly enough, Vista seems to use TWO separate systrays now. One for applications and another for system notification icons. NextSTART currently only displays the application systray.

And those are the only issues I found. Everything else seemed to be working properly, which is actually quite nice. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:23 pm 

Quote:
In practice, this means you can still see the round Vista Start button even when using NextSTART task management.

I get this now in XP with certain WindowBlinds skins that use an irregular start button.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]