Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CANNOT REGISTER SOFTWARE
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 pm 

I purchased winstep extreme full version a few days ago. I can not register the software. I have sent an email each day since with no reply's. I have followed every step in your email and also looking through this forum. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing and it will not register. Again I say I have followed your directions exactly and after double clicking the registeration file I check to see if it is registered and NO ITS NOT. You did not hesitate to take my money for the product but getting a fully functioning product is on the "BACK" burner I suppose.

Has anyone been able to contact "SUPPORT" successfully?

Post subject: Re: CANNOT REGISTER SOFTWARE
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:49 pm 

jorge is normally right on top of things. in the meantime exit winstep, open c\users\public\public documents\winstep\licenses and drop your key in there. then run winstep.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm 

I did just as you said and when I ran Nexus the about tab shows the upgrade button and I do not see anywhere on that screen that it is licensed.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 pm 

the file you put in the license folder is xtreme.key right? if so rightclick nextstart select preferences and at the bottom it will you if it is registered.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 pm 

The key I put in is Xtreme.wsxkey and it still does not show any registration. I have attached a screenshot.

Attachments:
Nexus.PNG
Nexus.PNG [ 159.28 KiB | Viewed 22682 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 am 

now in your first post you said you purchased winstep xtreme. from your image you're just running nexus. did you purchase and install xtreme or did you purchase and install nexus. xtreme includes nexus.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 pm 

Thank you very much for pointing that out. Somehow When I downloaded Xtreme from the link that was provided I got the download mixed up with the free version of nexus that I had downloaded earlier and had just reinstalled Nexus again. I uninstalled everything and started from scratch after your reply. Again thank you for taking the time to get me through a senior moment!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:33 pm 

dinodman wrote:
Thank you very much for pointing that out. Somehow When I downloaded Xtreme from the link that was provided I got the download mixed up with the free version of nexus that I had downloaded earlier and had just reinstalled Nexus again. I uninstalled everything and started from scratch after your reply. Again thank you for taking the time to get me through a senior moment!!!

i'm a diry blond, so i call moments like that my blonde moments. i take it all is good now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for helping out on this one, Chucky! :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:56 pm 

None of these steps work for me. I Keep getting the message that my key is corrupt. I keep waiting for an answer from support but none comes. Why does it have to take so long? And, why don't they simply send me the actual key license number instead of some corrupt file? That is the way almost every other software provider does it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In your message you make it sound like you've been waiting a week for a reply, when in fact you just got your key (and sent an email to support) today! A bit of patience is always appreciated. :D

As for using a license key file instead of a serial number, it is not because I woke up one day and decided I wanted to be different. There are some very good reasons for it. :P

Anyway, the license key is self-installable, and, as such, all you need to do to register your software is *double click* it. So, the key registration method is, in fact, much simpler and quicker than having to type or copy/paste a serial number.

Now, can you please post a screenshot of WorkShelf Preferences open in the About tab? Please try to show the *contents* of the Winstep Licenses folder in that screenshot as well (WorkShelf Preferences -> Register tab -> Open Folder button).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 pm 

Hi Jorge,

All I said was that it takes too long for a response. I am comparing it to other software products that reply more quickly, especially when one is a new customer who just paid for a product that he can't use.

I explained that my key file is corrupt. Therefore it will not install with a double click. It gives me the error message that the file is corrupt. Also, I can't even get to the about tab; only the register tab. However, I could register at the register tab if I had a regular license number like the other products give. In other words, if something goes wrong as it has in my case (and obviously in other peoples' cases) then the key file does not self install by double clicking and a license number would always work. That is why i think your method is inferior.

In any event, I really like the product otherwise and would really like to use it after all this waiting. So here are the screenshots of the only places I can get to in the program (the register tab) and the key folder where I dropped the key file:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 pm 

I submitted both images in jpg form yet they don't appear in my post. What gives?

Please contact me directly via my email that I used to purchase the product. At least gmail is more reliable with attachments.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bachbeet wrote:
All I said was that it takes too long for a response. I am comparing it to other software products that reply more quickly, especially when one is a new customer who just paid for a product that he can't use.

Sorry, but I know that getting a reply in less than 24 hours is actually pretty good by any standards, especially if you take into consideration different time zones.

Furthermore, Winstep Xtreme has a 30 day trial that is fully functional. You'll still be able to use it unless you've let the trial period expire.

bachbeet wrote:
Also, I can't even get to the about tab; only the register tab.

Ah, so you did let the trial (plus the 5 day grace period) expire. :-)

bachbeet wrote:
In other words, if something goes wrong as it has in my case (and obviously in other peoples' cases) then the key file does not self install by double clicking and a license number would always work.

Actually no, you would be having the same problem. The fact that you got a message stating that the license key is corrupt means the system is working.

Usually when something like this happens it's either because the user purchased the wrong license (for instance, he registered Nexus Ultimate but is actually using Winstep Xtreme) or because he didn't download the software directly from Winstep/Cnet ('modified' versions floating around prevent the software from registering properly).

I'm not implying your case is either one or the other, by the way (there are other possible causes, but they are more rare), but check your Winstep Licenses folder, if you have both an Xtreme and an XtremeBasic license key files in the folder, deleting the Xtreme file and restarting the software will immediately solve your problem.

bachbeet wrote:
Please contact me directly via my email that I used to purchase the product. At least gmail is more reliable with attachments.

Sent you an email.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 pm 

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your help. That last problem was the whole key to my problem: deleting the extra key file in the license folder. Worked like a charm. So, I applied the outlander theme to complement my outlander WB. I then deleted the nexus.exe file as instructed (I couldn't get to this point before deleting that pesky key file) and then applied the nexus outlander dock. Wow! It looks fantastic!

Thanks so much for all your help and patience. I know I seemed peeved and I was frustrated but my level of frustration was directly proportional to my desire to have the program working properly. And that desire is related to the fact that I do think it's a great program.

Yes, I did have the program for more than the trial period and that actually helped me appreciate it more. It really is a terrific program and when used with the WBs that many of the winstep themes complement, it is simply awesome! Thanks a lot!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next