Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Not sure if this is possible..replace task list with ws
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:15 pm 

I probably don't really need WorkShelf (since I think nextSTART will suit me just fine) but I was playing around with something that I think would be nice...

What I'd like is for the task list to go away and then to embed WorkShelf in between the "start' hotspot and the sys tray. I know you can turn off the display of the task list, but what happens is it collapses over next to the start button. When the task list is marked not visible I'd like the positioning of the systray to stay on the right and the start button to remain on the left... then I'm able to float position the work shelf down into where the task list was. (If I need to see task I then just hover down over the 'tasks' tab). To me this provides the ultimate in quick access to what I need while maximizing space. I undestand I can have the workshelf autopop up when touching the bottom screen, but I like to be able to quickly go directly to the tab I need, which dictates that I can alway see the tabs. What would really be cool is if by default you provided an option in workshelf:

"replace task list with workshelf"

The nice thing about the above would be that you could have it autofit and expand nicely to maximize the realestate. (Doing this by hand with the workshelf floating is not as convenient). This would be so cool that I'd probably end buying workshelf simply because it would be so neat:) KDE sort of has this functionality already and it would be cool if windows had it.
Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually you can already do this - just disable the NextSTART Startbar! To disable it go to the Startbar Preferences tab and, in the Startbar section, select 'Disabled' from the pull up menu.

What happens now is that the tasklist and the systray become individual 'free floating' objects on your desktop, instead of being stuck inside the Startbar. You can individually move them anywhere you want on the screen or even disable them in turn.

As for the 'Start' button, you can re-create it (if NextSTART doesn't do that automatically when you disable the Startbar) by going to the Hotpot Preferences tab and selecting 'Left Click on Hotspot Button' as the Launch With method. I personally prefer a 'bump top left screen corner' as a way to activate hotspot 0 - can't miss and it's much faster than clicking on a button.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forgot to add: in WorkShelf, disable 'Full Screen Width' in Docked Options - this will allow you to have WorkShelf docked to the bottom in between the Hotspot button at the left and the systray at the right (with this option unchecked you can resize WorkShelf horizontally while docked by simply dragging the lateral edges).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:28 am 

WOW. Ok now you sold me:) I'm glad you replied to all these questions, because now with this workshelf docked where my task bar was, I'm purchasing the whole thing. This is very sweet!

One more quick question (well one more for now:), is there a way to get "full screen width" to work when floating the workshelf? It would be nice if I could dock the workshelf where the taskbar would be but have it fill the width between any reserved space for a start button (if I decide to use one) and the sys tray on the right. Currently as floated I have to drag it to the size I want. Not a big deal really, but would be a nice conveinence to have it resize as needed if the systray grows.

Is there a way to have the systray icons in the workshelf, if so I wouldn't really need anything but the workshelf docked on the bottom, but I don't see that as shelf choice to add.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:52 am 

With regards to the systray in WS shelf...what I have done in the past is give WS a base height of 15 or 20 and had the systray set to always on top and had the systray in the base area of WS. Here's an example:
http://www.wincustomize.com/window.asp? ... _WS_SS.jpg

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course, for this you need to set the Systray to be Always On Top. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:01 pm 

But won't that look a bit ugly when the bottom workshelf is collapsed? It looks like you'll have the systray lying on top of some of the workshelf tabs (the tabs on the right)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:18 pm 

For what it's worth I'm back to not using the workshelf. It seemed to take longer to go to the workshelf tasks and find the task there vs just clicking on it from the task bar. Actually I think i'm going to go with a nextSTART and flash desktops combo. I really like using virtual desktops at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rickcr wrote:
But won't that look a bit ugly when the bottom workshelf is collapsed? It looks like you'll have the systray lying on top of some of the workshelf tabs (the tabs on the right)?

No, that's what the base is for - the base area remains the same regardless of the shelf being collapsed or not.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]