Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

What is your Windows version?

Vista 32 bit
31%
[ 16 ]
XP 32 bit
56%
[ 29 ]
Windows 2000
0%
[ 0 ]
Win98/ME
0%
[ 0 ]
Win95
0%
[ 0 ]
NT4
0%
[ 0 ]
Other
2%
[ 1 ]
Vista 64 bit
4%
[ 2 ]
XP 64 bit
8%
[ 4 ]
2003 Server
0%
[ 0 ]

Total votes : 52
 Post subject: What Windows version are you using?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm curious how many people have already moved on to Windows Vista and how many are still using versions of Windows older than XP.

If you are using Vista, please report if you had any trouble with Winstep Xtreme and if UAC is enabled or disabled!

Thanks,

Last edited by winstep on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 pm 

It'll be a while before I can afford/justify the upgrade to Vista. I get all the 'pretty' I need from WinStep Xtreme and WindowBlinds :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:21 am 

Jorge, I can't vote twice, but I use XP on my main machine and 2K on my secondary machine, which is my wife's primary machine.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Current Windows version
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 am 

Using XP Pro most all machines.

Using Winstep on my XP Pro production box.

Have a Vista Business installed on a lab machine for compatability testing.

Vista does and will have issues for users to deploy, UAC aside.

I can try to test WinStep on the Vista Business box if you like Jorge.

:twisted:

cef100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:12 am 

Win XP Pro on the desktop and a PIII laptop.
Win98SE on the desktop.
The desktop hasn't been updated to Xtreme since it's in storage at
the moment.

Dare I say it (falling under the Other category), Windows for Workgroups
on an older Dell laptop. I've been reliving my glory days. :-)

Connection: A fave Win3.x util, New Menu for Windows, was so missed
when I moved up to Win98 that searching for something similar led
me to NextSTART.

Marc

http://www.digisensei.info/win3/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 am 

XP Pro on all of my machines. I wont touch Vista for another year

Profile ICQ 

Post subject: Re: What Windows version are you using?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:46 am 

winstep wrote:
I'm curious how many people have already moved on to Windows Vista and how many are still using versions of Windows older than XP.

If you are using Vista, please report if you had any trouble with Winstep Xtreme and if UAC is enabled or disabled!

I'm none of the above. I use XP x64, and I had major headaches with nearly every complex (i.e. not notepad :) ) application until I disabled DEP (data execution prevention). Since turning that off, most wierd lockup or application faults disappeared. The rest of the problems turned out to nearly all be just bad coding (ignoring device indexes for multiple devices and always assuming that device [0] is the only device (any device), not using the correct graphic offsets in multi-display environment, etc).

I know what went under the hood in Vista, that's why I didn't bother upgrading. Mind you, XP x64 is just Windows Server 2003 with a pretty GUI tacked on and a couple of bits disabled, but if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... I like duck.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Too Many to Vote on...LOL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:47 am 

Ok...here goes..

My PC...Windows XP Pro Media Edition
My Wifes....Windows 98 2nd Edition
My Sons...Windows XP Home Edition

Misc...PC's for olders programs?

Windows 3.1
Windows 95

I am computer poor...LOL I repair computers and they just come here and don't leave for some reason. Some of my customers don't want to pay for the parts to have them fix and they give me the computers to use for parts. Most all of the ones they give to me are 10+ years old.

I have a ton of spare parts like a 32 Graphics card. 300 baud modem...etc.....I just can't see myself throwing them away when I may be able to help someone and give them the part they need to get their computer up and running...

So far I haven't come across one with a 5 1/4 floppy in it. I have about 2000+ 5 1/4 floppies (if they are still good) that I would love to go through and see what I use to do. One of these days it will come along and I will have a Ball !! :lol:

Just for your information...

3flash :lol:

Last edited by 3flash on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
So far I haven't come across one with a 5 1/4 floppy in it.

I have one of those drives sitting on an old PC chassis on my closet. Weird, huh? :D It originally belonged to the first PC I ever bought, a lightning fast 386 SX at 25 Mhz. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:17 am 

Fran (the angel who married me) just loves the way I attract old and wierd computer gear and it never, ever, leaves. Not even when it can't possibly work, because you never know when a cassette with the BLOAD or BSAVEd game data will magically appear...

Just for the record, I've currently got living in our cellar: (and please note, to avoid loss of consciousness, none of the following (with one exception) could possibly ever run Winstep software - most wouldn't even fit the download):
- Motorola D2 kit (working but one display lost the 'e' segment)
- complete Apple IIC (genuine) with 9" mono monitor and stand and printer
- Apple IIe (one genuine, one clone)
- Commodore 64 (1 shoebox model, 1 aftermarket model, 1541, 1522, and the VIC-20 printer and all manuals, etc) and 1520 monitor
- Microbee 32k and mono monitor
- Microbee TC256k and monitor and CP/M, etc
- IBM PC XT with 5Mb (yes, the ridiculously massive 5 megabyte model)HDD
- Pulsar Little Big Board standalone (plus 3 bare boards, SCSI cards, six channel serial cards, TurboMegaBoards, 8" floppy adapters, etc)
- Pulsar LBB Z80B (128k) plus 80186 (1MB) still running (just) multi-user TurboDOS 1.4 system (and HP 700/41 terminal)
- Amiga 2000 with 2GB SCSI drive and workbench, etc
- acoustic 300baud modem, various other "cutting edge" modems (12/75, 2400, 9600, ISDN)
- and more that I haven't had a chance to get to yet (we've only been here 7 years, whaddaya want, a miracle?)
Oh, there's also a HP Netserver LM 486DX66 (dual 486 horsepower with 8 giga bytes - yeah, you know you want that much - of RAID5 SCSI storage set up as 4 hotswap 2GB drives), a couple of clone 486s, and my little baby, a 266MHz wafer PC with an 8" VGA LCD monitor and 30Gb HDD running W98. Eventually it'll be installed in briefcase. Eventually.
And a HP Omnibook 600 running Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and an Omnibook 800 running W98, and a bag full of an Omnibook 425 (386, 4Mb RAM, 300Mb PCMCIA HDD, Win 3.0, DOS 5.0, but it's all in bits. One day....
And hundreds of Zilog parts (SCCs, DMAs,CPUs, PIOs, DARTs), GALs, EPROMS (2716/32/64 and a couple of the 256k and 1Mbit parts), TTL stuff, spare 386DXs, 486s, 256k and 1M SIMM (the old 64-pin simms, not the new ones).
Eventually, I want to set up an exchange so that all this stuff doesn't go to waste, and other folks can "browse" and swap and so on. I've started to try it out in the CP/M newsgroups, and on the BOINC Australia site, but not many people know what the stuff is, and the ones who are most interested are the ones who just want to throw money at me, and that's not what it's about.
Oh, and I've got two Xeon 3.2GHz CPUs going really cheap to a good home. They've been powered up but used less than 100 hours. I've got passive heatsinks for 'em, but they're really heavy (about a kilo each I think)... But if anyone's interested, gimme a yell. I might be able to dig up some VRAM and other stuff if that would be useful...
Sorry for hijacking another thread...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:34 pm 

uac is the first thing i turn off. between zonealarm, counterspy, and ca internet security nothing runs that i do not want running. then i have winpatrol kill services and startup items i do not want. i do not know if under sp1 uac blocks programs that you all ready gave permission to like pre sp1 but i am not willing to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They're still blocked.

You need to deal with the UAC every time you want to run an application that needs Admin access. There are some annoyances that have been greatly minimized with SP1, however, like the four UAC prompts every time you copied a folder to a restricted access location like Program Files and then tried to rename it. Now you only get one prompt. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:54 pm 

i am running vista ultimate sp1. i have uac completely disabled, plus i can go to the rightclick context menu and take ownership of any file or folder.

there is nothing wrong with vista post sp1 if you know what you are doing. as for win 7 it really is only a service pack to vista. there are not enough changes or enough new in win 7 to warrant paying for it. i do not pay for service packs. like it or not all xp is is win 2000 and win 98 combined, and we all know what 2000 and win me were like. vista is far more stable than xp since sp1.

Last edited by ChuckysChild on Sun May 31, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 am 

Maybe Windows 7 will fix all our nightmares?
gn...gnn...gnnn...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry I couldn't hold it in... :lol:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah, but I already saw some videos about it that gave me some cool ideas to implement in the NextSTART taskbar. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next