Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: WorkShelf Versus Nicely Designed NextStart Menu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:28 pm 
I've downloaded and briefly played with the WinStep FullPack. Other than the modules, I can't see how WorkShelf is any better than a nicely designed NextStart Menu. Maybe some of you expert WinStep users can enlighten me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use NextSTART and WorkShelf at the same time, and I would say that even if both are basically glorified program launchers, they are quite different in how they work and nicelly complement each other. Otherwise, why would we have quick launch toolbars (or even the desktop itself) when we can always use the Start Menu (and vice-versa)? Surely there are advantages (and disavantages) in each system, that is why most people use both.

NextSTART is a text-based menu system. WorkShelf focus is on icons, not text. Personally I prefer a quick program launcher like WorkShelf for frequently used applications and NextSTART when I need to dig in for a rarelly used application.

NextSTART also provides features that WorkShelf does not (like the Startbar, hotspots, etc...) and WorkShelf does the same with its modules, etc... There are many other differences, but I will let some other Winstep user speak about them if they so wish. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:09 am 

I'd have to say that WorkShelf is far and away the most useful of the two, for my personal needs. Any Windows machine I use immediately gets WS installed on it (along with NextSTART, too). I feel lost on Windows without it

It's much easier to build several shelves and populate them with frequently used apps, folders, workflow project data, etc...

Of course, I use it as it was originally intended, as a multi-layered desktop replacement hugging the bottom of the screen. I use NS more for access to system functions and "deep folder drilling."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:58 am 

you can also use WS to group project apps, documents, help files, etc. Each project can have its own tab. It's great.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]