Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WorkShelf beta released: new Net and RAM Meter modules!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For you skinners out there who want to update their themes with the new modules before the official version is released (or for those who simply like to run the latest and greatest) , you can download WorkShelf 1.70 beta 1 from

http://winstep.skwire.net/winstep/ws-beta.zip

Instructions on how to install are on the readme file insize the ws-beta.zip file.

Note: A previous full WorkShelf or Winstep Full Pak instalation is required! Do not un-install anything, just install the beta on top of your current Winstep installation.

The advanced skinning bitmaps for the new meter modules are wsNet.bmp and wsRAM.bmp. Remember this is work in progress, much more is still being prepared, specially regarding the Net Meter module.

Last edited by winstep on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to let you know that in the mean time lots of other great features have been added to WorkShelf 1.70 (expect a new public beta very soon now). To name a few:

* You can now (finaly) drag virtual objects (those who only exist in the shell namespace and are not actual files in your hard disk - such as the contents of the Control Panel) and drop them into WorkShelf. You can even drag them into a folder type shelf (i.e.; a shelf that displays the contents of a folder in your hard disk) and a shortcut pointing to the object will be created in that folder. This means WorkShelf now accepts virtually anything that is dropped into it.

* New dynamic width tab area so that WorkShelf does not look so 'boxy'. Dynamic width tabs mean the tabs only take as much horizontal space as needed, and the user can select wether the tabs are full shelf width (the way they are now), left-justified, centered or right-justified. I tested this new feature on a lot of older themes and it looked good on almost all of them, so I am thinking about leaving the decision on how the tabs are positioned to the user instead of the skinner.

* Shortcuts in the shelf that point to image and video files are now displayed as thumbnails instead of icons.

* Icon text is now highlighted as well when the mouse pointer hovers over an icon.

* New optional 3D line separator between icons for a more 3D 'button' look.

* Clock hands are now anti-aliased and the colors of the in-shelf clock hands can now bet set.

* Added a Most Active Programs History dialog to the CPU meter - lists the top most active programs in the last 128 seconds and the percentage of CPU used by them.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, the new beta (beta 3) is out now, from the same URL specified in the first message. Check the shelf's main context menu, 'Appearence and Sounds' sub-menu - there you will be able to play with the new tab placement settings and with the 'buttons' effect. Be warned that WorkShelf is not saving those options on exit yet.

Feedback is much appreciated. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:53 pm 

Thanks for the beta. Tab settings don't seem to work with nextsetp and openstep_eui themes. The text moves, but the graphics don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's why it's a beta. :D

I haven't gotten around to non-advanced skinning themes yet.

What do you think of the new 'button look' option, btw?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:15 pm 

I like it a lot. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beta 8 is now out, available from the same URL described above.

It adds a lot of goodies, besides Wanda (a fish that everybody here seems to love, btw): automatic update checking, tip of the day, drag & drop support has been MUCH improved (previously you could not drag items from Regular shelves into Explorer windows, or even special items like those found in Control Panel, now you can), WorkShelf now supports URLs (just drag a link from IE into WS) and many more goodies. Read the ws-history.txt file to know about them all.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 pm 

Love the fish!!

Found a bug:

Go to the WS prefs screen and then to the module pref. I accidentally used the right mouse button to expand the module list then used the left mouse button to choose a module (does not matter which module). As soon as left mouse button is clicked, ws exits. I have repeated this bug 3 times.

Using the left mouse button for expanding the list and then selecting a module works fine.

Otherwise this is a killer release.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:03 pm 

One more thing, then I'll be quiet :D

Can we make our own wanda files? I see that they are *.src files....

OK, I'll be quiet now....

paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't reproduce the right click bug in here, no matter how hard I try (anyone else seen this?). What I did fix, however, was a bug where if you selected the Wanda module _and then_ another module, WS would crash. Maybe that is what the bug was really all about?

As for your own Wanda files, be my guest: just follow the format used in the other .src files and WS will automatically add the new file(s) to the available file list.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And a new beta (beta 10) has just been released. This one also allows, among other things, to use bitmaps for the meter parts (i.e.; where you choose in advanced skinning if the meter is to be drawn or taken from a bitmap - I know this option was there already but wasn't working properly).

I forgot to add the new bitmap filenames in the history file, so here they are: wsCPUb.bmp,wsCPUh.bmp,wsNetb.bmp,wsNeth.bmp,
wsRAMb.bmp and wsRAMh.bmp. The 'b' stands for Bar and the 'h'
for Histogram.

Enjoy and please let me know ASAP if you find any bugs. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 am 

Only 1 bug so far:

I can't remove the net meter from the system tray. "Hide System Tray Icon" does not do anything.

Otherwise, great build!

Any chance of eventually having skinnable icon borders in WS? (eventually, not now :-)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fixed, thanks...

As for skinnable icon 'buttons' or 'borders'... it's not in the plans, at least for now, sorry...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:04 pm 
Anything new? It's been a while since any announcements...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 pm 
Atomhrt wrote:
Anything new? It's been a while since any announcements...

Apparently they are all gone. I guess out of business or something. Too bad they had a nice product.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next