Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to change digital clock icon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 pm 

/ADMIN EDIT:

Given the number of views on this thread, it seems a lot of people are searching for this.

Regardless of the direction this thread took, below you can find the answer to the two common questions regarding the clock module: how to not show the calendar in the iconic version of the module and how to show the digital version of the clock module on the desktop under Winstep Xtreme (solutions that had not yet been implemented back in 2013 when this thread was started).

Desktop modules in Winstep Xtreme are free form skinnable, therefore it is up to the theme's author to choose if the desktop version of the clock module is displayed in analog or digital format. In 99.9% of the themes out there (if not 100%), the author has chosen the analog format.

Here is what you need to do to force the desktop clock module to show in digital format (and chose the look without the calendar beneath it) and stay that way regardless of the current theme:

1. Open (WorkShelf) Preferences.
2. Go to the Modules tab.
3. Select the Clock module.
4. Select 'Digital' for the Icon Style.
5. Click 'Clock Settings'.
6. In the Digital Clock Color section, enable or disable the 'Show time only' checkbox. This will determine the appearance of the digital clock (i.e.; there are two possible versions: one with the calendar, one without the calendar).
7. Press Ok to close the Clock Settings dialog.

Stop here and press OK to close Preferences if all you wanted to do was use the alternate version of the digital clock. For the desktop module in Xtreme:

8. Go to the Themes tab.
9. Select 'Clock' from the top left combo box that says 'Winstep Themes'.
10. Scroll up the list of available clock themes until you find the first option, which should be <None>.
11. Select <None> for the clock theme. This ensures the desktop version of the clock module will now appear in the iconic module format.
12. Click 'Theme Options' button and lock the clock theme (this will prevent the theme of the clock from being changed when you switch to a different theme, in this case so it always remains as <None>).
13. Press OK to close the Theme Options dialog and OK again in Preferences to apply the changes.

Note that the same procedure can be used with any of the other desktop modules to force them to display in their iconic format. The actual size of the desktop module can also be changed via the desktop module scaling options (see Modules tab on Preferences or the Scale sub-menu in the right click context menu of a desktop module).

/END ADMIN EDIT

so far winstep has been great , except for one thing. the digital clock icon.
i don't really like the calender hanging down underneath. i would like to have one that shows just digital, for date and time. tried every digital clock icon i could find and none work. i have found several themes that have the kinda clocks i would like, downloaded them and still get the same thing. i even tried to go in to theme file and replace the skin, icon and nothing changes or they show up with the text running on the out side of the clock window.

can someone please tell me how to fix this?

i considered using the beatnik clocks, but if i have to do this whats the point of having winstep? if it comes down to it i'll just remove winstep and go with window blinds or something else. it's a same cause i really do like everything else about winstep and nexus.

Post subject: Re: How to change digital clock icon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, let me get this straight: in spite of all that Winstep can do you are willing to remove it because you can't have the digital clock module looking exactly how you want it to?! :shock:

Well, here's proof you can't please everyone. :D

Since I can't find your email address on the registrations database and given your other posts, I assume you are using the free version of Nexus.

Under Winstep Xtreme you can have free form desktop modules, which are the 'grown up' brothers of the modules inside the dock. Those you can skin at will. Desktop modules are not available in the free version of Nexus, however.

The modules in the dock are *icons*. As such, and although they are already pretty flexible as they are (for instance, you can change the background of the digital clock module, choose different icons for the recycle bin, use a different animation for Wanda, etc...) there are limitations to what can be done with them - especially when talking about the digital clock module, which needs to be updated in real time with digits that are *visible* at nearly all icon sizes.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 am 

winstep wrote:
So, let me get this straight: in spite of all that Winstep can do you are willing to remove it because you can't have the digital clock module looking exactly how you want it to?! :shock:

Since I can't find your email address on the registrations database and given your other posts, I assume you are using the free version of Nexus.

Under Winstep Xtreme you can have free form desktop modules, which are the 'grown up' brothers of the modules inside the dock. Those you can skin at will. Desktop modules are not available in the free version of Nexus, however.

The modules in the dock are *icons*. As such, and although they are already pretty flexible as they are (for instance, you can change the background of the digital clock module, choose different icons for the recycle bin, use a different animation for Wanda, etc...) there are limitations to what can be done with them - especially when talking about the digital clock module, which needs to be updated in real time with digits that are *visible* at nearly all icon sizes.

you got that straight, i would and will remove something that doesn't do everything i want it to do. that's why i download the trial version of winstep xtreme,just about a week ago, after using the free nexus which i now will remove also.

and i was very pleased with the product, all except the digital clock thing,that i had decided to over look, until i read your post.

and you know what they say about assuming something, "you make a a...." i hope you know the rest. as far as the email address i used to register in this forum with, it is one of many junk email address i use to catch all the junk mail that is usually sent when you register some where. and you would have never seen it in your database.i just wanted you to know that.

although it may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but you just cost yourself probably about 300 bucks. i had planned to recommend winstep to all my brothers and sister, my parents, and a couple of others, who most time try and use the programs i recommend. seeing how i use most of them in my business. speaking of which, if i spoke to people that come into my shop the way you did to me, i would have to close the doors tomorrow. and what other posts are you talking about, i only posted one topic and replied to another poster in that topic, thats it. you sure can tell alot from these three post hunh. forgive me if i don't know everything about your product after only six days. as it stands now i think i know all i want to know, and probably will not try and learn any more about it.

just so you know i'm not exactly computer illiterate, i may not know all the terms and lingo, but i can follow instructions, and have had a couple of things that i've taken and re-skinned, out of one theme and used in another theme of my own . and it worked pretty good. i was told how to do this in another forum, where i had been looking for themes.

no i think i will take my hard earned money, and my family's and spend it else where, some where they treat you with a little respect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sincerely, I have no idea what you took offense to.

You never mentioned if you were using the free version of Nexus, Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme, so, to save time, I deduced it by reading your other posts in the forums and searching for your email address in the registered users database.

I went to the trouble of doing that because my advice regarding the digital module would depend on what you were running. I don't know why you decided to take offense to this, if that is indeed what you took offense to.

Personally I think that deciding to stop using Nexus because you can't customize the in-dock digital clock *exactly* the way you want it (even though it is already customizable) is akin to not wanting to drive a Lamborghini because you don't like the shape of the bolts on the wheels. But you're entitled to do it, the same way I am entitled to my opinion. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 pm 

jorge try the following for a starter.

winstep wrote:

you have a very bad habit of doing things like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, but did you see the smileys in those two phrases?

Perhaps it's a problem with American vs. European culture (let Skagon be the judge on that). I don't believe the customer is always right, for instance. He is *if* he is, otherwise he is not and I won't act like it just because he's a (potential) customer.

Hounddoghowlie could have simply said 'I have a problem with the digital clock, is there a way to customize it further?'. In that case the part you quoted above would be missing because there would have been nothing to trigger it.

Instead Hounddoghowlie chose to threaten to stop using Winstep software because of an extremely minor limitation (considering how customizable Winstep software is in general). I think his motivation for doing so is obvious - perhaps someone else would bend over backwards to accommodate a threat.

Even then I simply stated my opinion, and in a jokingly manner. He took it badly and decided to 'punish' me by withholding an hypothetical purchase. Pity because the software itself has nothing to do with his decision, but, again, it is his choice and he is entitled to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

you might be right it just might be a matter of how americans and europeans are taught to interpret things. as you mentioned about the smileys i was taught that a flip comment even with a smiley at the end is still inappropriate. i do agree to stop using winstep over one item with all winstep has to offer is ridiculous.

hounddoghowlie, if you haven't done so already you might want to go through the features of the various winstep products. cause even without the gadgets they have tons to offer anyone. i have winstep xtreme, but i don't run any of the gadgets.

http://www.winstep.net/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

I'm going to add my two cents here, and yes, I'm American. I did not find Jorge's comment offensive.

I do feel that HOUNDDOGHOWLIE overreacted probably because of the frustration of not being able to set up Xtreme exactly the way he/she wanted especially after going through the trouble of skinning etc.

HOUNDDOGHOWLIE, like Jorge said, it is impossible to please everyone. He tries his best to accomplish it. Xtreme is VERY customizable.

I don't know if you've seen my videos, but a perfect example of that which I'll post the links to are evident that I had to not use a couple of things in Xtreme and used other programs instead.

That is the beauty of Winstep Xtreme. It allows you to even add programs that are not a part of any Winstep product to make the best of users varying tastes.

I hope that your misunderstanding of Jorge's statement becomes clear and you change your mind about not using Winstep Xtreme.

The following link has a lot of info you that you should find useful. It has the names and links of the programs and configurations I used.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4530

The following link clearly shows the clocks that I use and also that I use the Windows taskbar to enable me to use the clock on the taskbar. All I had to do is uncheck a box to disable the Winstep taskbar via NextSTART.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr8UPacC ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm 

Well, since I was asked, I will offer my input in this.

Firstly, Jorge, it is true that sometimes the way you phrase things is -- or can be seen as -- somewhat brash. Especially when people request or comment on something and you don't agree. Even for European standards.
However... this isn't the case here. Your above comment, I found perfectly legitimate and I myself wondered the exact same thing. Dropping Winstep because of the... clock (!!!) is like having a Lamborghini (for free) and sending it back because there's no way to change the ashtray.

Secondly, that point 'hounddogwhatever' made, is baloney on its own. If he dropped *every* programme that doesn't do *exactly* what he wanted, he shouldn't be using Windows at all. Windows doesn't have a customisable clock either. Actually, Windows doesn't have *anything* customisable, except perhaps the colour of the crappy-looking windows. And it doesn't have docks, shelves, toolbars or anything else outside the taskbar. The fact that Winstep and Nexus exist, is because Windows doesn't have such stuff, therefore, Windows is missing things that he wants (otherwise he wouldn't be considering using Winstep). So, since he's using Windows, that means that he *can* actually learn to live without things, and the whole hoopla about "oh if I can't get it *just* so, I won't use it" is bull. Pardon my french. And the same goes with *any* programme out there. Every person is different and there isn't *one* programme which can be configured any way anyone wants.
So, 'maybe' he is doing this, because here, he *can* talk to the creator; whereas, if he called Microsoft and said something like "the taskbar isn't the way I want it, so I won't buy Windows and neither will my family and friends"... the people in Microsoft's call centre would be rolling on the floor laughing their asses off for weeks. In other words, they wouldn't give a toss. Here, he knows that he has *some* chance of intimidating the creator.

Thirdly, I never have and never will appreciate the attitude "if you don't do what I want, I won't buy your thing". It's blackmail. Period. Oh, and the "I won't suggest it to my family and friends" is bull too. Trust me, I worked for a computer magazine, I could very easily have told Jorge "you either do what I want or else I'll write a review and bury your product and 25000 people will read it". I never did. And even though all of my friends and family ask me for everything, I can't say that they'd buy something just because I told them.
In fact, I *have* recommended Winstep to a few, who I thought would benefit from it, and still, none of them bought it.
In second fact, I *have* written a very positive review of Winstep in the magazine, but I still can't claim that even 1% of the readers bought or would buy it (which would still be 250 people). I don't know how many people bought it, but I never asked for anything in return from Jorge either. Nor as a bribe, nor as a blackmail. In fact, I bought my copy of Winstep Xtreme myself. And invested a LOT of time making a theme from scratch, and the only blackmail I did was when I said I'm not releasing it until he finishes the theme creator.

So, all in all, I'd say, dude... please. And yes, we'll either get a "no really, screw you if you don't believe me" answer, or no answer at all. What I know is that
a. you don't ditch a great programme just because you don't like the... clock, and
b. if you want something changed or improved, you make the suggestion in the nicest way and wait
You don't come in, just to say "oh, I just tried it and because I don't like the clock, I'm uninstalling and going to windowblinds or whatever".
If you were to do that, you'd have done it without telling us here. I've uninstalled a lot of programmes I didn't like, but the number of times I did it and posted it in the programme's forum, is zero.
I think it's more probable that he came here to do his song and dance, and have Jorge go like "oh, so sorry, please don't uninstall, I'll fix the clock and here, have a 20% discount" or so. And when he realised his act folded, he turned to the "oh, you just cost yourself so and so, because I'll tell everyone not to buy it, I'll tell my daddy, I'll tell my mommy, I'll tell my little sister, my big brother, my uncle, my cousin, I'll even tell granny not to buy".

Anyway, I've babbled enough; you get my drift...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm 

skagon, perfectly said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm 

I saw this post and i felt i had to comment.

I used to work on sales, and the ammount of people that get out of bed in the morning thinking what complaint they are going to make its hilarious.
People with this attitude are never satisfied with anything on their lifes.
What i could not do was to talk back to the customer, just give him a choice, like buying Xtreme version or not, and even if Jorges comment was not offensive, it should be avoided.
Customer didn't ask for your opinion, asked(more like demanded but whatever) for a solution.

I am a free Nexus Dock user and the product is excelent, there aren't many free applications with this high quality.
I just don't buy Nexus Dock Ultimate or Xtreme because i use computer for simple things, but i wouldn't have a problem to pay for it if i really needed.

BTW Jorge, i'm Portuguese living in Spain.
Bom trabalho.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GraphicAdventure wrote:
People with this attitude are never satisfied with anything on their lifes.

That's the whole point. This is not usually said out loud for obvious reasons, but within closed circles software vendors generally agree that it is best NOT to sell anything to extremely problematic potential customers. Since we are usually talking about relatively small amounts($20-$40), it's simply not worth the aggravation/losing your peace of mind over it.

If the sale has been done already, some vendors go as far as 'firing' the customer (i.e.; one-sided refund of his purchase). I'm persistent in solving problems and generally don't do this unless asked to.

GraphicAdventure wrote:
What i could not do was to talk back to the customer, just give him a choice, like buying Xtreme version or not, and even if Jorges comment was not offensive, it should be avoided.
Customer didn't ask for your opinion, asked(more like demanded but whatever) for a solution.

Yes, it's true, but if there is one thing *most people* appreciate is that I always offer an explanation as to why something can/should not be done.

This, in turn, opens the door for debate, and it's not the first time a user has managed to change my mind by 'arguing' with me. Even though I strongly defend my point of view and I don't always 'cave in', invariably they find I'm pretty open minded to intelligent suggestions.

I prefer it this way, since a debate always benefits more people than a closed response.

GraphicAdventure wrote:
BTW Jorge, i'm Portuguese living in Spain.
Bom trabalho.

Obrigado! Espero que te estejas a dar bem na Espanha, já que Portugal está completamente nas couves! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm 

WINSTEP - if you actually work for the Winstep company, you were definitely way out of line in your response to a potential customer. Granted, hounddoghowlie, may have been a bit pushy in his initial email, but you as a public representative of your company should never, ever respond in the manner you did. It was not professional and frankly, as another potential customer to buy your software, I was a bit turned off by your lack of customer "finesse".

So you know, I had the EXACT same need as hounddoghowlie. The digital clock with the calendar was one of the first things I wanted to change. Now, do two customers make a problem important? Maybe not. Will I uninstall your software? Probably not. Will I pay the $$ to buy the upgrade? I would have definitely, but not after reading this post.

Before jumping on your customers, try to understand the need better and maybe speak to other customers to understand if your company should do something about it proactively. And to whoever actually OWNS Winstep, I would seriously consider taking corrective action against this support person (unless you are one in the same, in which case, you have bigger issues).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm 

I really don't care much if there's some "European" way of doing things. To me there's a right way and a wrong way. I'm sorry Jorge but going through your reply, right in the first two paragraphs I was going like "Hey, this is no way to treat a costumer. This is hostile!"

Imagine you enter an appliance store to ask a few questions about a vacuum cleaner. The salesman hits you with irony and even rubs it in your face with smileys. Anything he says after that won't really matter because you leave and will not be coming back.

I am sorry. This is how I felt when starting with your reply.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 pm 

Jorge I think you're sabotaging yourself with how you react to people when you feel insulted. Not everyone who is upset about a lack of a feature or having wasted time is necessarily a bad customer. And when you do it in public like this you turn a lot of people off.

I found this topic when I was googling just trying to find out how to change the icon of the clock. Not a great impression for people to get with such an early question.

You are a really good software developer, the app is clearly the best overall. IMO you're killing your potential. There aren't many good docks out there, pretty sure this is the best without any close competition. If you could get someone else to handle the customer service I think it would be beneficial to you.

Last edited by TelFiRE on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next