Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: error: access violation on startup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:47 pm 

I found this topic posted previously in this forum by user TSteadman (April 2012) and it ended without a resolution.

I just installed the free version of Nexus (12.02.0995) on my Win7 Pro x64 laptop and the next time I started my computer I got the same result as TSteadman. As soon as the Tip-of-the-day window appeared I got an Error:Access Violation.

As he did back then, I turned off the tip-of-the-day and everything seems to be starting okay now. Was this issue ever resolved? It isn't that I actually want the tip-of-the-day but it is knowing that I am running something with a 'bug' in it that bothers me.

Post subject: Re: error: access violation on startup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 am 

I'll give you my personal opinion, that may not agree with what more experienced users think, and any diagnosis made by the developer. To get a "Error:Access Violation" either your anti-virus or Windows Defender put out such a warning. I ran free Nexus for a while and did not encounter such a problem. And it would have to be some service checking what Nexus is doing. If you can, working offline, disable both and check if the error persists.

Let us know of the test result.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 pm 

The results are : no results. I turned tip of the day back on and to be sure that it was causing the access violation problem I restarted my computer. Lo and behold... no access violation. I never made any changes to any system settings and never installed anything since nexus. When I first installed nexus I got the access violation error the very first time I restarted and every time I restarted (several times) until I turned off tip of the day. I now can't make the problem re-occur so I guess this topic can be considered closed. Not that I want to see the tip of the day but I will leave it on for a while to see what happens. Thanks.

By the way, I have nexus set up the way I want and so far I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 pm 

I am glad it is solved then. You know an error like that (that I can think of) could occur if 1) Nexus tried to write to memory areas of Windows; 2) Memory areas protected by the anti-virus for some reason; 3) Areas requiring administrative permissions while working without them; or 4) Memory improperly allocated for some other application or runtime service.

But the important thing is that it is now running smoothly. Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]