Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: How to disable losing window focus
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 pm 

Hi,
I use Nexus Ultimate 12.2.
When I move cursor to the top of screen or to the any sides with the docks -- docks appear on screen and focus from active window switched on the any visible dock.
How to disable it? I want the docks appear only and set focus ONLY by mouse click

Sorry for my bad English :oops:

Post subject: Re: How to disable losing window focus
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:50 am 

I just registered to ask for the exact same thing.

I have the dock on the right side of the window, and it's pretty annoying when you are scrolling manually in a maximized window and you move the cursor too far, so the dock gets the focus and you can't scroll anymore, you have to click the previous window to continue scrolling.

RocketDock's behaviour was better, the dock did became visible when this happened, but you didn't lose focus, so it wasn't a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What version of Nexus are you running? Preferences -> About tab -> top right corner.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since you mentioned a maximized window, I assume the dock is being activated by bumping the screen edge with the mouse pointer.

Although the dock does take the focus away when activated like that, it is also designed to automatically hide itself again - assuming auto-hide is enabled, of course - by simply moving the mouse pointer away from it - no need to click on anything.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm 

Yeah, but if you're holding the click because of manually scrolling, you don't get the focus back. It would be better if you only lose focus when clicking the dock.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am 

Well, nevermind, I uninstalled it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your first post didn't specify that you were manually scrolling by holding the click (or at least it wasn't immediately obvious to me).

You do have a point, but I can't just 'fix' the problem by preventing the dock from getting the focus when you bump the screen edge without first making sure this won't break something else (such as drag & drop when the dock is hidden, for instance) - and that takes time.

Not the first time I applied a 'quick & easy fix' by request only to be bitten back with the unintended (and not immediately obvious) consequences of that fix - Nexus does a lot more than all the other docks do, and is actually a very complex application.

Since the scroll bar is on the far right side of the screen *and* we are talking about maximized windows here, you could have *probably* solved the problem by enabling the 'Ignore edge bumps near the titlebar button area of maximized windows' setting on the Edge Bump Settings dialog.

Sorry I didn't reply in time for you to try that out, got distracted by other things and ended up forgetting about your post.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: How to disable docks appearing when cursor hovers edge of sc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:43 am 

You can't the feature isn't in nexus...(mabye in the future)
But you can disable dock appearing when your mouse moves to the edge of screen simply be going to Dock Properties>Position>(Disable)Bring Dock over when mouse bumps screen edge and bring dock forward on mouse over _____

Hope it helps
Cheers...
:D :mrgreen: 8) :) :lol: :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
You do have a point, but I can't just 'fix' the problem by preventing the dock from getting the focus when you bump the screen edge without first making sure this won't break something else (such as drag & drop when the dock is hidden, for instance) - and that takes time.

And for future reference, I was right in not doing this.

The dock NEEDS to take the focus when it activates, because only the active window receives keyboard input.

In this thread HERE, some users want to control the dock with the keyboard in their Home Theater systems, so I am now adding full keyboard support to the dock (which was partially already there but was not working well at all).

First a keyboard shortcut is assigned to the dock to activate it. Once the dock is active you can use the arrow keys to select a particular icon, and also open sub-docks. Pressing the Enter key will launch the currently selected icon.

Again, this would not be possible if the dock did not automatically get the focus on activation.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:22 pm 

winstep wrote:
First a keyboard shortcut is assigned to the dock to activate it. Once the dock is active you can use the arrow keys to select a particular icon, and also open sub-docks. Pressing the Enter key will launch the currently selected icon.

Again, this would not be possible if the dock did not automatically get the focus on activation.

I think maybe for desktop users we should have the option to disable keyboard access for the dock, which is essentially useless to me, and I'm guessing others. I'd think that we could have a simple toggle to allow for keyboard access or not, then tied to that "If KB access=NO → Nexus Never Takes Focus on Mouseover/Autoshow"

Still, it's a minor inconvenience, and I'm not planning on uninstalling Nexus Ultimate for something so small. It would be nice to have an option for us desktop users, though.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I've decided to add that option. In the next release you'll find it as a 'Grab focus when activated' setting (enabled by default) in the Activation Settings dialog of the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm 

Let's see how long it takes M$ to break it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DanDaBear wrote:
Let's see how long it takes M$ to break it!

Actually I only added that option so you can turn it OFF. Currently the dock always grabs the focus/becomes the active window when you activate it.

And yes, I do have to 'fight' MS for that to work. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]