Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't move bar to second screen?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm 

Hey guys,

I'm suddenly not able to move the Nexus Bar over to my second screen, I was originally able to when I first installed the software but the option is now grayed out; tried re-installing but still no luck.

Any ideas? I'm stumped :?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Can't move bar to second screen?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Devil is always in the details, of which you have shared nothing. :D

So allow me to guess (and even if I don't get it right it's still useful information): you're running Windows 10, right?

While Nexus supports system wide high-DPI, Windows 10 introduced something even newer, which is *individual* DPI settings *per monitor*. If it took a very long time for applications to start supporting system-wide high DPI, even fewer (if any) applications currently support per monitor DPI settings.

And here is the problem: if the application does not specifically tell Windows that it has support for high-DPI settings per monitor in its built-in manifest, Windows will then literally LIE to the application about screen resolutions, etc...

I understand why Microsoft did it this way, but if it solves some problems, it also creates others, as you can see.

The solution for now is to make all monitors share the same DPI settings (if one is 100% DPI and the other 125% DPI, you must make *both* either 100% or 125% DPI). So, check the DPI settings of all your monitors - if you change them you will need to restart Nexus.

Something else that might be happening, has to do with how you configured Windows to see all your monitors: either as separate individual monitors, where the desktop extends to each one, or as a single big monitor. In the latter case Nexus will also only be able to see a single monitor, which would disable the monitor selection combo box.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm sorry I haven't a clue.... ;) Sorry can't be any help at all here.

But this reminds me of a not entirely unrelated issue, Winstep and Win10 Virtual Desktops. I would imagine the latter can be quite useful if you don't have a very large screen with very high res or esp. if using a laptop, thanks largely to the idiotic widescreen format which limits esp. vertical screen estate.

Is it possible to have Xtreme, either wholly or parts thereof, active on several of these VDs (oops, definitely no pun intended!), or is this something you might consider Jorge, or impossible/too complicated?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Is it possible to have Xtreme, either wholly or parts thereof, active on several of these VDs (oops, definitely no pun intended!), or is this something you might consider Jorge, or impossible/too complicated?

As far as I know the dock, Shelf, etc, already move automatically to the current VD, unless MS changed something in the mean time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

As far as I know the dock, Shelf, etc, already move automatically to the current VD, unless MS changed something in the mean time.

Ah, brill! Haven't really used VDs yet, but I could see situations where I may do so and having Winstep on the active VD will be most useful.

Oddly, haven't really seen anything on VDs anywhere here so far. Used to be the buzz thing about 20 years ago - remember BeOS? (Everybody forgot that OS/2 already had them! Or at any rate as a third party add on, IIRC by a company we both know well Jorge.) And didn't Hooverdesk also do them?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 am 

nexter wrote:
Oddly, haven't really seen anything on VDs anywhere here so far. Used to be the buzz thing about 20 years ago - remember BeOS? (Everybody forgot that OS/2 already had them! Or at any rate as a third party add on, IIRC by a company we both know well Jorge.) And didn't Hooverdesk also do them?

I was using virtual desktops back in the Windows 3.1 era. Thanks to Norton Desktop for Windows (a brilliant piece of software at the time). I have asked Jorge about virtual desktops a few times (he pointed me to the app I currently use instead of MS's due to wanting to have a selector visible on screen to switch between desktops).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
nexter wrote:

I was using virtual desktops back in the Windows 3.1 era. Thanks to Norton Desktop for Windows (a brilliant piece of software at the time). I have asked Jorge about virtual desktops a few times (he pointed me to the app I currently use instead of MS's due to wanting to have a selector visible on screen to switch between desktops).

Wow! You were brave enough to use Win 3.1 Paul!? Shocking. ;) (Steered clear of it myself, too horrible, but did experimentally run NT 3.5x which had the same ghastly interface and propensity for BSoDs, so not much better.)

Yes, I remember reading about Norton DT at the time, and had another pretty decent Norton app here - N. Commander, only half decent file manager then available under Win.

Some sort of visible selector for VDs is definitely useful. And that app is, BTW? BeOS went a bit OTT with their huge grid, I remember (ran it here till about 4.x, though not very useful as so few apps available and no security, no login/pw even), but the one under OS/2 was quite neat, sort of dock-like ISTR.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:

Ah, brill! Haven't really used VDs yet, but I could see situations where I may do so and having Winstep on the active VD will be most useful.

Tried it, works great Jorge. Only thing is you need to create a TaskView link somewhere, obviously - I put it on Workshelf here. But, as Paul mentioned, a VD app with some sort of visible on-screen representation would make for much easier switching of VDs.

BTW, anybody know what happened to HoverDesk/Nextview in the end? ISTR the guy was about to give up on it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 pm 

winstep wrote:
Devil is always in the details, of which you have shared nothing. :D

So allow me to guess (and even if I don't get it right it's still useful information): you're running Windows 10, right?

While Nexus supports system wide high-DPI, Windows 10 introduced something even newer, which is *individual* DPI settings *per monitor*. If it took a very long time for applications to start supporting system-wide high DPI, even fewer (if any) applications currently support per monitor DPI settings.

And here is the problem: if the application does not specifically tell Windows that it has support for high-DPI settings per monitor in its built-in manifest, Windows will then literally LIE to the application about screen resolutions, etc...

I understand why Microsoft did it this way, but if it solves some problems, it also creates others, as you can see.

The solution for now is to make all monitors share the same DPI settings (if one is 100% DPI and the other 125% DPI, you must make *both* either 100% or 125% DPI). So, check the DPI settings of all your monitors - if you change them you will need to restart Nexus.

Something else that might be happening, has to do with how you configured Windows to see all your monitors: either as separate individual monitors, where the desktop extends to each one, or as a single big monitor. In the latter case Nexus will also only be able to see a single monitor, which would disable the monitor selection combo box.

Hey there, apologies for the lack of details. Yes I'm running Windows 10 using one 3840x2160 Monitor and another at 2560x1440. I've tried setting the window scaling solution to 100% but unfortunately the monitor selection box is still greyed out.

I recently configured my Graphics cards to use SLI, given your latter point I imagine this would be the cause, would there be any fix around this other than disabling it?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RashedAl wrote:
I've tried setting the window scaling solution to 100% but unfortunately the monitor selection box is still greyed out.

Did you remember to restart the Winstep application after doing that?

RashedAl wrote:
I recently configured my Graphics cards to use SLI, given your latter point I imagine this would be the cause, would there be any fix around this other than disabling it?

So you have more than one graphics card? Are both monitors connected to the same graphics card?

Also, if by SLI you mean AMD Eyefinity or nVidia Surround, then those modes 'lie' to the OS to make it believe it is dealing with a single big resolution monitor instead of multiple separate monitors. However, given that your two monitors have different sizes and screen resolutions, I don't think that is the case - in which case SLI is only used by games and doesn't affect your Windows desktop experience (or the Winstep application).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am 

nexter wrote:
Wow! You were brave enough to use Win 3.1 Paul!? Shocking. ;) (Steered clear of it myself, too horrible, but did experimentally run NT 3.5x which had the same ghastly interface and propensity for BSoDs, so not much better.)

Yes, I remember reading about Norton DT at the time, and had another pretty decent Norton app here - N. Commander, only half decent file manager then available under Win.

Some sort of visible selector for VDs is definitely useful. And that app is, BTW? BeOS went a bit OTT with their huge grid, I remember (ran it here till about 4.x, though not very useful as so few apps available and no security, no login/pw even), but the one under OS/2 was quite neat, sort of dock-like ISTR.

Well, it was probably 3.11 but still . . . most all of my games were DOS, so I would actually exit Windows for them. The virtual desktop program is called Dexpot.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
Well, it was probably 3.11 but still . . . most all of my games were DOS, so I would actually exit Windows for them. The virtual desktop program is called Dexpot.

Ah, thx Paul, I'll have to look into that, already seeing the usefulness of VDs here, but the Win 10 variety with that Task View is just too messy for my liking. Got that on Workshelf now and also in NS menu,but still....

Uuuuugh, DOS! That 8bit-with-16bit-support excuse for an OS. (I preferred working in a unix shell come to that.) Reminds me of the old bit-ness thing about old Win3.x - a 16bit interface sitting on an 8bit OS (an't remember the 4bit thing) by a 2bit company that doesn't give 1bit about its users, or something like that.

And still we are stuck with essentially a 32bit OS with 64bit support that even now still carries a lot of 16bit baggage. Sad that MS went so fundamentally wrong. At the latest by the time of Win7 appearing they should have called curtains on NT and developed a new, proper 64bit OS with an emulation layer for previous 64bit and 32bit apps to help the transition, much as 'The Dark Side' did with MOSX. (At least that's one thing they did get right with that crippled OS.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm 

winstep wrote:
RashedAl wrote:
I've tried setting the window scaling solution to 100% but unfortunately the monitor selection box is still greyed out.

Did you remember to restart the Winstep application after doing that?

RashedAl wrote:

So you have more than one graphics card? Are both monitors connected to the same graphics card?

Also, if by SLI you mean AMD Eyefinity or nVidia Surround, then those modes 'lie' to the OS to make it believe it is dealing with a single big resolution monitor instead of multiple separate monitors. However, given that your two monitors have different sizes and screen resolutions, I don't think that is the case - in which case SLI is only used by games and doesn't affect your Windows desktop experience (or the Winstep application).

I restarted the PC after changing the scaling options of each monitor and it seams to have worked. Is there any workaround for this? at 100% the text on the 4k monitor is just too tiny :shock:

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RashedAl wrote:
I restarted the PC after changing the scaling options of each monitor and it seams to have worked. Is there any workaround for this? at 100% the text on the 4k monitor is just too tiny :shock:

Unfortunately not currently. Adding high DPI support *per monitor* is not a trivial task. :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 pm 

winstep wrote:
RashedAl wrote:

Unfortunately not currently. Adding high DPI support *per monitor* is not a trivial task. :(

Ah no worries, I'll just stick to having it on the default monitor.
Nexus seams to be the only dock software that actually works well with windows 10!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]