Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Completely disable edge bump?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:23 am 

I like having nexus show and hide on a keypress. I have the keys mapped to a side button on my mouse. I would like to disable edge bump detection completely but I can't find an option to disable it. The closest thing I can find is to set a delay and the max is 2000ms. The delay works for the most part, but the mouse still seems to find it's way to the edge of the screen at some point. Is there an option somewhere to disable the edge bump? Or perhaps an entry in the registry to turn it off or set the delay to longer than 2 seconds?
Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Completely disable edge bump?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately there is no way to completely disable the edge bump, since that would make it nearly impossible to retrieve an hidden dock unless a hot key is also assigned to it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 am 

Thank you for the response. I had feeling that was the case. It would be nice if disabling edge bump was possible. Perhaps a warning of some sort could popup if it were to be disabled with no way to recall the dock.
Thanks again, great program.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 am 

I found a work-around to the problem. I made a small program with Autohotkey to move the mouse one pixel away whenever the cursor touches the edge of the screen. Now, the dock never pops up by accident and I can recall and hide it at any time with a mouse click.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:55 pm 

put preferences for workshelf and nextstart in the programs group on the startmenu so if some one sets something wrong they can still get to preferences to change it back(alowing for the addition of a setting to disable edge bump). i'd also suggest removing preferences from the systray. most people don't want more icons there than necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:47 pm 

bd2635599 wrote:
i'd also suggest removing preferences from the systray. most people don't want more icons there than necessary.

Not so sure about that one. I really like the fact it's there. It's much easier to locate. All one has to do if they don't want a ton of icons on the systray is to set it to collapse and also not to display icons unless they are being used or not at all.

My comment is assuming that the Winstep systray/taskbar works the same as the Windows one. I use the Windows taskbar since the clock program I use cannot work if the Winstep taskbar is enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also, the systray icon can be quickly turned off in the General tab of Preferences. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 pm 

bd2635599 wrote:
put preferences ........ than necessary.

Also, that's chucky...

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am 

Windy wrote:
bd2635599 wrote:
i'd also suggest removing preferences from the systray. most people don't want more icons there than necessary.

Not so sure about that one. I really like the fact it's there. It's much easier to locate. All one has to do if they don't want a ton of icons on the systray is to set it to collapse and also not to display icons unless they are being used or not at all.

My comment is assuming that the Winstep systray/taskbar works the same as the Windows one. I use the Windows taskbar since the clock program I use cannot work if the Winstep taskbar is enabled.

winstep wrote:
Also, the systray icon can be quickly turned off in the General tab of Preferences. :)

neither is a proper solution. first way too many programs create systray icon than shouldn't including winstep products. second most people want some of there programs in the systray(just not all of them), so hiding it is not a valid option either.

Last edited by bd2635599 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:05 pm 

bd2635599 wrote:
neither is a proper solution. first way too many programs create systray icon than should including winstep products. second most people want some of there programs in the systray, so hiding it is not a valid option.

Huh? :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:17 pm 

Windy wrote:
bd2635599 wrote:
neither is a proper solution. first way too many programs create systray icon that shouldn't including winstep products. second most people want some of there programs in the systray(just not all of them), so hiding it is not a valid option either.

Huh? :?

corrected

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

I just don't get it. Why shouldn't Winstep create a systray icon? I could understand somewhat if there is no way to turn off or hide the systray icon, but Jorge put the option there to turn it off which he stated in his post in this thread.

There are a couple of features I would like to see added, but at least one of them is not doable. I've asked about it already. You can't please everyone. We all have our likes and dislikes, so the best thing to do is to put the option in a program to use/turn on, or not use/turn off something. I don't understand why you see that as a problem.

No program is perfect. That being said, Winstep Xtreme is pretty darn close to it. That is really tough to do, especially because of the elaborate nature of such a program that offers a myriad of options.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I just don't get it. Why shouldn't Winstep create a systray icon? I could understand somewhat if there is no way to turn off or hide the systray icon, but Jorge put the option there to turn it off which he stated in his post in this thread.

Don't waste your time, Windy, bd2635599 is Chuckychild using another login after being permanently banned from the forums for reasons everyone who is a regular here is more than familiar with. He was warned multiple times.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm 

Windy on installing winstep you should be asked if you want the icons in your systray.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bd2635599 wrote:
Windy on installing winstep you should be asked if you want the icons in your systray.

Of course. What everyone wants when they install a program and run it for the first time is to be asked a million questions before the thing actually does something.

Experience (and tests) show that in this case the vast majority of people simply ignore the questions and press 'Next', 'Next' (or whatever) to carry on with business.

What is important is that the settings/options are there so users can tweak them later (at their own leisure and as they get more familiar with the application) and that the defaults are good.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next