Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Any chance of a cross-platform version?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 pm 

Short personal computing History in short because I was alive when it happened with a few things missing...

UNIX
|
MacGUI based on UNIX
|
IBM tries to compete employs current MS boss when young and his buddy to write an O/S = Desktop Operating System [DOS]
|
Mac Creates Windows over UNIX underlay
|
Billy leaves IBM and tells them not to release DOS 5 but they don't listen.
|
IBM fails badly, Billy release DOS 6 fixes IBM 086 onto 286 issue and Microsoft is born and then copies MAC and gets away with it somehow with Microsoft Windows.
thus starts the never ending "this version will be fixed in the next service pack"
THEN ----DOS: 6- 6.1 - 6.11 6.2 - 6.22 etc still happens now except they call it
"Windows update and critical update - security risk potential". They never got it right.
|
SUMMARY
IT'S ALL MARKETING. MS has the biggest marketing ploy of all and the most bums on seats.
Bascially, if you go into MAC and bring up a terminal, it is pretty much freeBSD and 90% of the UNIX commands that have not been totally locked out work perfectly.
There are no reserving of memory space issues on a MAC like with PC, with enough RAM you can run without Virtual memory on your HDD and more.
Do I hate windows> No, not at all. People say "Oh but windows is the best networking computer".
That is also wrong. TCP/IP was written on UNIX and the stack is way smaller on UNIX and runs much faster. To top it off, the so-called revolution in Active directory [AD] is a direct and poor copy of Novell Directory Services [NDS] which still today as early as version 3 was more secure than the latest enterprise Microsoft server.
People wanted Bells & Whistles and paid for it dearly. Additionally, SQUID Proxy [LINUX] is still the least hacked proxy server on the planet. Microsoft is the easiest hackable O/S on the planet because it is still full of holes. Why do you not hear of the super serious viruses infecting the Mac or Linux? for a very good reason, it's not full of holes.

A Windows based PC is simply now the majority so you work with it and live with it. All the most popular Art, Video and Music recording programs still run faster and better on a MAC. I could say why... but this is more tham I wanted to share in the first place and it's a poor summary at that and as long as you buy a genuine Intel based i7 PC and a nVidia card, you can run either O/S on the same machine now anyway.
Cheers

SO crossing platforms? You've got to be kidding - unless it was written on MAC or UNIX first and then you have to make holes in it unless the programmer was an assembly and Command Line C programmer like Steve Jobs..

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2