Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 64 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Theme Builder discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:24 am 

Thanks for keeping us up to date Jorge! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a problem! Glad you understand. :)

Remember I'm also very, very, interested in finally seeing the Theme Builder out. I'm tired of the same old 'boring rectangular' shapes for the Shelf, docks, and most of the modules, for instance. :wink:

Once the Builder is out (or perhaps while I am working on finishing it) I plan on adding a ton of extra skinning options for the various modules. For instance, it would be nice to be able to control where each of the weather forecast icons (and associated text) appear in the Weather Desktop Module, instead of having the whole forecast section appear 'in bulk'. For the clock it would also be nice to be able to control the various tidbits of info separately (for instance, day of the week, hour, minutes, seconds, etc...) and so on.

Implementing something like this before would be a real PITA because the skinning options for each module were restricted to a single individual panel and I simply did not have the room to add them. With the Theme Builder I can implement something similar to the (really elegant) way Sysmetrix solved this problem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 pm 

Any progress update with the builder?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm 

Any update on this project? Very interested.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know.

Unfortunately it is currently stuck in the mud.

Besides the fact that doing something like the Theme Builder is terribly boring for me (although also an absolute necessity), in v16.2 I changed so much code to support the introduction of new modules (the first result of that effort being the battery monitor module) that all the module related code in the Theme Builder became obsolete.

So it must be redone. More boring work to add to boring work. Sigh.

On the other hand, although I might take my time, I do tend to keep my promises. Look how many years Nexus was nothing but vaporware... until one day.

Also, I'm aware that the Theme Builder will not only encourage people to make skins for Winstep, as it will open the door to some great advancements in terms of what the skins can do.

For instance, for the desktop modules I would really like to make something similar to what Nick did for Sysmetrix. He came up with a really smart, elegant and easy way to skin Sysmetrix.

Pity he gave up on it, although I can guess why: not everybody is willing to forego the security of a regular job (especially when you have a family to feed) for the uncertainties of making and selling software on your own.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:39 am 

Can we download the old version of the builder that came with 9.5 or it simply won't work?
I downloaded the one from the link here and as you can see, it has blank areas [most]. I uninstalled, triple checked the file paths where it pointed to and nada, zilch, nothing.
:(
http://prnt.sc/cfzasm

I must be doing something wrong...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 pm 

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Can we download the old version of the builder that came with 9.5 or it simply won't work?
I downloaded the one from the link here and as you can see, it has blank areas [most]. I uninstalled, triple checked the file paths where it pointed to and nada, zilch, nothing.
:(
http://prnt.sc/cfzasm

I must be doing something wrong...

Well, if he's doing something wrong...so am I! :wink:

I'm running this on Windows 10 running WinStep Xtreme; The only tree item that seems to have anything associated to it in the reading pane is under 'Dock' (\Dock and \Dock\*). Everything else shows a blank page.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

KENGUIL wrote:
I'm running this on Windows 10 running WinStep Xtreme; The only tree item that seems to have anything associated to it in the reading pane is under 'Dock' (\Dock and \Dock\*). Everything else shows a blank page.

The Winstep Theme Builder version that was made available is not even a beta, it is an early alpha (as stated).

It *only* allows you to do native Nexus dock backgrounds, and it was 'released' (note the quotes) 'as is' to get some feedback.

Now, as I repeatedly stated above, making the Theme Builder is something that is *extremely* boring for me. There is no challenge in there so I basically have to force myself to work on it.

Even then, I would probably have dedicated more attention to it *if* those interested had given me the feedback I needed. Not only did that NOT happen, as NOBODY is using it to make native Nexus themes even though you can (which, with support for overlays, etc, can be far superior to any RocketDock, ObjectDock, or RK Launcher skins out there).

The problem is that the ratio of skinners vs. normal users is catastrophically low these days. It was already pretty low when I made the decision of removing the skinning settings from the GUI back in 2009, to help reduce UI clutter.

That skinning has always been somewhat of a 'dark art' doesn't help either. As far as I know, apart from WindowBlinds, Nick Decker's Sysmetrix (now long gone) and Winstep applications before v9.10, no other skinnable applications ever had a GUI for skinning.

Those serious about skinning got into it by modifying text configuration files plus learning what each setting did via trial and error or talking to other skinners.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:17 am 

winstep wrote:
The Winstep Theme Builder version that was made available is not even a beta, it is an early alpha (as stated).

I completely understand. I wasn't trying to shame anyone, just reporting some feedback as I've just started the long slog towards making my own themes (basically because I'm not fully satisfied by the ones out there).

winstep wrote:
Now, as I repeatedly stated above, making the Theme Builder is something that is *extremely* boring for me. There is no challenge in there so I basically have to force myself to work on it.

I've gone through the files and there are a metric ton of settings in them. Do you have these documented anywhere? Could you document them for us? That way one of your many fans who happens to also have some slight skill at programming (such as me) who had some spare time (which I might have just a little of) could 'assist' you in making a 'Theme Builder'. I have to admit that changing settings randomly to see what they do just sounds boring to me but if that's where I have to start...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:26 pm 

Jorge, would one of the older versions that still had theme settings in the settings generate themes that would work with the current version? If so, do you still HAVE one of those old versions that you could maybe release for folks that really want to make themes?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 am 

Quick Question: If I modify a setting in one of the theme configuration files, does the change take effect immediately or do I have to move to another theme and back?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

KENGUIL wrote:
Quick Question: If I modify a setting in one of the theme configuration files, does the change take effect immediately or do I have to move to another theme and back?

You have to reload the theme.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:35 pm 

A few things I worked out by changing only one configuration item at a time.
There are settings which I will probably write down for myself when I am out of creative mode so I remember them [avoid senior moments...]
:)

- Seriously though, any configuration file it seemd logical to me that this is a file that loads when the theme loads so it has to be reloaded when any changes are made.
I found a quick way is to open it via 'preferences' on the taskbar, load another and then go back to what I am editing in the config file. I can then click "apply" and see the changes immediately, as long as I leave the Winstep open.

I have looked at ways to increase sizes and for example make a custom designed menu from the start menu. In the 9.5 it is possible to put background images and feather or opaque and more but that facility is not available without the builder in v16 and by just editing configuration files. Mindy43 has one out there called "Imbhotep" I think? - which if a person is prepared to put the time in and do divided images, the larger menus are feasible. I must say it is not a fast process though because I have done it. The NEW builder will make all the difference and to be honest, it does not quite work the way it is expected in Windows 8.1 if using 9.5 which I found out the hard way..... so I will wait for the updated version....

SO - until Jorge does the new builder for version 17? Hopefully before Xmas would be awesome.... We can wish.[Please Jorge?]
:)
Cheers

PS - here is one created pixel by pixel TOTALLY with config files

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 am 

BassdudeNZ wrote:
SO - until Jorge does the new builder for version 17? Hopefully before Xmas would be awesome.... We can wish.

I'm sure it will be before Christmas, just not sure WHICH Christmas. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
[I'm sure it will be before Christmas, just not sure WHICH Christmas. ;-)

There ya go. You're learning. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 64 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next