Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: No Comparison Chart for Nexus Ultimate vs. Winstep Xtreme?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:44 pm 

Hi Jorge, I read this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10007 in which you stated:

winstep wrote:
Ok, thanks for the screenshot and the description, I now see what you are trying to accomplish.

The Dell dock was an OEM dock made by Stardock for Dell computers. Even though it was free for Dell users, Dell paid Stardock a lot of money for it.

The free version of Nexus does not allow you to have sub-categories (called sub-docks under Nexus), and it only supports a single dock.

You can add folders to the free dock, but when you drop files into them those files will actually be moved/copied to the target folder (and my guess is that even that is failing in your case because of some read/write file system permissions issue). The contents of the folder will NOT be displayed as a sub-dock when you click on it, as it would happen (I think) on the Dell dock. Instead, clicking on the folder icon on the dock will open the folder in an Explorer window (or optionally a menu).

To do what you want you need Nexus Ultimate, the paid version of the Nexus: not only does it support nested sub-docks/categories, it supports multiple docks too (among many other features, such as a tabbed dock called the 'Shelf').

I was a little puzzled as to why you didn't mention Winstep Xtreme as well as an option. It's your premiere product of which I'm "xtremely" happy with! It also piqued my curiosity of what the differences are between Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme.

I went searching on all of the Winstep pages. I did see one for the free version of Nexus vs. Nexus Ultimate, but could not find a comparison chart for Nexus Ultimate vs. Winstep Xtreme.

Is there a reason for this? In my opinion, it would be beneficial for 1st time viewers, potential customers trying out Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme, and even users that have been using one or the other for years to see a comparison chart for those two.

I'm sure it's happened, but you might find that after seeing the comparison, there will be an increase of Nexus Ultimate users changing to Winstep Xtreme.

Post subject: Re: No Comparison Chart for Nexus Ultimate vs. Winstep Xtrem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a pretty descriptive Product Comparison page HERE.

It's not a biggie, because users can simply upgrade from Nexus Ultimate to Winstep Xtreme for the price difference if they want to later.

The thing is, while Nexus and Nexus Ultimate can be classified as 'simple' (notice the quotes :wink: ) program launcher utilities, Winstep Xtreme already goes much beyond that, being itself a shell enhancement.

Learning curve is also steeper.

As such, I recognize Winstep Xtreme might not be for everyone.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]