Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Small arrows from items in folders menus
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:13 am 

Hello, I like very much your NexusDock. I found it when Microsoft began to break custom toolbars out of taskbar.
I use your software mainly to recover this functionally in Windows 8/10, and prolly I´ll buy it if could solve a issue and so become allmost perfect (less idle %CPU usage = perfect).

The point is I hate the arrows inside the windows shorcuts icons. Usual arrows in windows explorer can be rid-off by several ways (tweak soft do, changing register). As said the main reason to use Nexus software is the ability to put items in Nexus Dock as folder menus, but all the links shorcuts have tinny arrows in the corner of icon:

Attachment:
Screenshot_Nexus_1.png
Screenshot_Nexus_1.png [ 170.99 KiB | Viewed 15769 times ]

Actual folders have the same icon in windows explorer and Nexus menus;
LNK files have arrows in Nexus menus and dont in windows explorer.
(if I right-clic over the link and get properties, the icon inside have the arrow also).

If I put the register key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="%windir%\\System32\\shell32.dll,-50"

doesnt works, so I think you don´t choose the overlay icon from the windows register and may be is set directly (or there is another optional key I unknow). I have seen also there is another smaller arrow icon in the dll (not the usual for links), may be from older windows versions like WindowsNT. May be there are another posible value in that regtree to that older icon?.

I have search in the Nexus config, at register and inside a wsbackup.wbk, but I didnt found a parameter to change the arrow icon, and there are a lot of values. :)

I can´t modify the icons in the ddl to be transparent since is a essential ddl and digitally signed; if I edit some icon inside windows crashes and dont boot.

I can change the regkey value:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"IsShortcut"=""

if I rename the regkey ("_IsShortcut"="") the items folders menus in Nexus Bar dont have the arrow overlay icon now, but then many things in Windows 8/10 doesnt work, like right-clicking in task from windows taskbar, and so on.

I have tested to restore that regkey once Nexus is launched and there are no ugly arrows, so the icon to show is setup at program launch and there are not troubles after that. I can do a script to change the regkey, run Nexus and then restore key, but I would prefer not do and find a better solution (i can explain why if interested) if posible.

So, Can you help me, please?. How could I quit those arrows from links?.

Thanks very much in advance.

By the way, I like much more the new Nexus´s menus windows10-style.

Post subject: Re: Small arrows from items in folders menus
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

zalomalo wrote:
prolly I´ll buy it if could solve a issue and so become allmost perfect (less idle %CPU usage = perfect).

Pardon me for asking, but on average exactly how much CPU percentage does Nexus consume on your system at idle?

zalomalo wrote:
The point is I hate the arrows inside the windows shorcuts icons.

You must REALLY hate those little shortcut arrows to have gone through so much trouble in order to try to disable them lol

I looked at the relevant part of the code and the irony, zalomalo, is that there actually is an *internal* option not to show the shortcut arrows when browsing folders in menus - but alas, it is not backed by any user exposed setting, so there is no way to turn that on or off.

And there is no way because, in all these years, nobody ever asked me for such an option (probably because the shortcut arrows are useful to distinguish what is a shortcut and what is an actual file) - you're the first one.

I suppose I could add a setting for that, but this would only make sense in terms of Winstep Xtreme, i.e.; under Winstep Xtreme menus in Nexus/WorkShelf inherit their settings from the NextSTART component of Winstep Xtreme. This allows the whole suite to maintain a common look and feel, and, since NextSTART specializes in customized menus, you also end up having a bunch of extra menu options not available under Nexus Ultimate and the free version of Nexus.

For instance, NextSTART allows you to define if folders appear at the top or bottom of a menu, if menus larger than the screen should display scroll arrows or be split into screen sized menus, whether hidden and system files should be shown, if file extensions should be shown, etc...

So it would be feasible to add an extra 'show shortcut arrows' setting to the latter group of options in NextSTART, which would then be inherited by the menus in the WorkShelf/Nexus component of Winstep Xtreme. Doing this for Nexus Ultimate or the free version of Nexus, however, would just be adding to the clutter since this is definitely not an feature in high demand. :wink:

What I am getting to with all of this is: if I go to the trouble of adding this feature, would you be willing to buy Winstep Xtreme then? :wink: :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 am 

Hi there! It's been 5 years since no reply was made to this post, and I'm wondering if this feature has been implemented in the meantime ??

I would really love to get rid of that small shortcut icon overlay. Is there anyway we can do it ?

Thanks and have a great day!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's also been 5 years since anyone thought of asking for that feature again, which actually makes you the second person to ask for that in 20 years or so. :)

The original OP cared for that feature so much he didn't even bother replying.

So, the answer is no, sorry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:54 am 

Darn! Well then I think I will have to get used with those shortcut icons :cry: !

Thank you anyway :wink:

Later edit:

But then again... on a second thought, is the original offer still available??

I mean I really REALLY hate those small shortcut icons.

Will you be willing to bother adding that feature if I buy the Winstep Xtreme version ??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 pm 

I'd love to get rid of the shortcut arrows. I turned them off in the registry, buy Nexus didn't care.
Also, I'd like the list of shortcuts to show up without clicking on the dock item.
Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]