Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 632 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Genie Effect
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
Flogisch wrote:
Hey there, I would really like a Genie effect when you minimize or open windows from the dock just like mac's do.

I really hope that this feature is beeing added.

Hopefully someone is reading this and is going to write a reply if this is possible or not :D :pray:


Oh someone is reading this, but you won't like the answer though, which is 'no can do, sorry'.

Too much effort for very little return.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
Humberto wrote:
Hi Jorge, I would like to give you some suggestions:

1 - Add an option to disable only Winstep sounds without disabling the voices.


Just added that for next release.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Genie Effect
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm
Posts: 12
winstep wrote:
Flogisch wrote:
Hey there, I would really like a Genie effect when you minimize or open windows from the dock just like mac's do.

I really hope that this feature is beeing added.

Hopefully someone is reading this and is going to write a reply if this is possible or not :D :pray:


Oh someone is reading this, but you won't like the answer though, which is 'no can do, sorry'.

Too much effort for very little return.


Sorry for the late reply... :)
Uff, that's really sad to hear.

Not even as "Addon" or so? I would also purchase the addon. :mrgreen:


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Genie Effect
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
Flogisch wrote:
Not even as "Addon" or so?


Not even as an 'addon'.

IIRC, ObjectDock featured that effect and it was constantly running into problems where it worked right on some systems and not at all (or very badly) on others, etc... It would need to be made in Direct3D to be fast enough, and it is something too tied to the system for me to be comfortable, especially now that Windows 10 changes the rules every 6 months or so.

I really don't need that type of aggravation for something as minor as a Genie window minimize effect, sorry. :)

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Genie Effect
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm
Posts: 12
winstep wrote:
Flogisch wrote:
Not even as "Addon" or so?


Not even as an 'addon'.

IIRC, ObjectDock featured that effect and it was constantly running into problems where it worked right on some systems and not at all (or very badly) on others, etc... It would need to be made in Direct3D to be fast enough, and it is something too tied to the system for me to be comfortable, especially now that Windows 10 changes the rules every 6 months or so.

I really don't need that type of aggravation for something as minor as a Genie window minimize effect, sorry. :)


Oh, alright. Thanks tho :)


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 am
Posts: 1
Hello! New guy here! I must say that I really love this software! It's almost perfect.

Maybe someone has asked this before but... I don't seem to find an option for the dock to not appear when I'm browsing on Chrome. I use the dock on top and I usually have a lot of tabs open and it's somewhat annoying when the dock appears... It's driving me nuts! Haha.

Maybe add this option on a future release?

Thanks!


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
sds28 wrote:
Maybe someone has asked this before but... I don't seem to find an option for the dock to not appear when I'm browsing on Chrome. I use the dock on top and I usually have a lot of tabs open and it's somewhat annoying when the dock appears... It's driving me nuts! Haha.


There are a ton of different settings you can change to help with accidental dock activations. First, if the dock is set to 'always on top' you can, if you haven't already, enable the 'Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top' option in the Behavior tab of Preferences/Dock Properties.

You can then either fine tune the Edge Bump Settings (Behavior tab -> Activation Settings -> Edge Bump Settings button) or you can change the activation method from 'edge bump' to 'edge swipe'.

Moving the dock to the bottom of screen instead of the top also helps, of course.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:04 am
Posts: 9
Any chance we could get the same kind of "magnify" effect for mouse over effect on shelf icons that we have for the dock? Would very much love that :)

*I know we currently have the "zoom" effect on the shelf icons, but it is a little choppy, and usually get's stuck on zoom out until I click on something else (see screenshot)


Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 294.23 KiB | Viewed 1269 times ]
Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
jon.s.nelson wrote:
Any chance we could get the same kind of "magnify" effect for mouse over effect on shelf icons that we have for the dock? Would very much love that :)


No. The background of dock's can expand dynamically to accommodate the magnified icons, but the Shelf cannot. EDIT: and that is just one reason, there are several others. For instance, docks do not have text labels under each icon, nor tabs with text, the Shelf does - text rendering is EXTREMELY slow compared to the rendering of icon images.

jon.s.nelson wrote:
*I know we currently have the "zoom" effect on the shelf icons, but it is a little choppy, and usually get's stuck on zoom out until I click on something else (see screenshot)


Try setting the background transparency to 1% instead of 0%.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:04 am
Posts: 9
winstep wrote:
Try setting the background transparency to 1% instead of 0%.


Thanks, that did the trick.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Posts: 121
Greetings to everyone! Hello Jorge!

I got an idea while trying to find something fast in the "System Try" drawer: it would be great to have a type as you go search in drawers and shelfs.
How about it Jorge? Is it possible from a practical point of view?


I for one think that this would bring a nice productivity boost. I am curious to see what others think....


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
Vlad wrote:
I got an idea while trying to find something fast in the "System Try" drawer: it would be great to have a type as you go search in drawers and shelfs.
How about it Jorge? Is it possible from a practical point of view?


While I like the idea, implementation would be everything.

First, you wouldn't be able to see what you are typing, so imagine if you mistype a letter (that would probably happen very often) - here we could actually put the Shelf base option to good use and display whatever you are typing there.

Second, the Shelf would have to remember the letters you have typed so far - at which point in your typing does it start acting on those (every time you type a character? That can become a bit slow and/or result in jerky motions. After a little pause in your typing? Good, that would even allow for backspace if you make a mistake, but how long a pause?), and at which point should the search you typed last be 'forgotten' so you can start a new one (after another pause? How long so it doesn't interfere with the pause before a search is acted upon)?

Third, what if the search you are making matches several files but the tab is not sorted alphabetically? How do you do a 'Find Next' ?

Fourth, would blind typing be better or would it be better to pop up a little search box? Wouldn't the latter get in the way and be too easy to activate by accident if it's appearance is solely based on the user starting to type? Or should it be invoked via some kind of hotkey/mouse click (which would add another step to the process) ?

And so on... :)

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 543
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:
I got an idea while trying to find something fast in the "System Try" drawer: it would be great to have a type as you go search in drawers and shelfs.
How about it Jorge? Is it possible from a practical point of view?


While I like the idea, implementation would be everything.

First, you wouldn't be able to see what you are typing, so imagine if you mistype a letter (that would probably happen very often) - here we could actually put the Shelf base option to good use and display whatever you are typing there.

Second, the Shelf would have to remember the letters you have typed so far - at which point in your typing does it start acting on those (every time you type a character? That can become a bit slow and/or result in jerky motions. After a little pause in your typing? Good, that would even allow for backspace if you make a mistake, but how long a pause?), and at which point should the search you typed last be 'forgotten' so you can start a new one (after another pause? How long so it doesn't interfere with the pause before a search is acted upon)?

Third, what if the search you are making matches several files but the tab is not sorted alphabetically? How do you do a 'Find Next' ?

Fourth, would blind typing be better or would it be better to pop up a little search box? Wouldn't the latter get in the way and be too easy to activate by accident if it's appearance is solely based on the user starting to type? Or should it be invoked via some kind of hotkey/mouse click (which would add another step to the process) ?

And so on... :)

Sounds altogether far too complicated and not worth the effort for what it would do and for how useful/useless it would be. How often would anybody need to do a search on the contents of a tab? Even the general, local system Windows search is something I may have used, at most, half a dozen times in what, about 24, 25 years? Plus perhaps a dozen times in about 20 years I may have used the search within my file manager. Granted, I'm probably not typical in this.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9592
nexter wrote:
Granted, I'm probably not typical in this.


It would actually be a very useful feature to locate files/documents quickly, especially if you are displaying the contents of very large folders as tabs in the Shelf.

A 'global' option would probably also be useful (one that would search the contents of all tabs, for instance) but a lot slower and much harder to implement properly (or perhaps make a dynamic 'Search' tab out of it displaying the results of your search, instead of switching to the target tab, like the Windows Start Menu does - this would also solve the problem of several files matching your search query).

The latter is actually a good way to solve the multiple matching issue: instead of making the selection cursor jump to the matching item, you would simply 'filter out' all the non-matching results. Of course, we then would need some way to abort the search so the full contents of that tab are displayed again.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Posts: 121
winstep wrote:

Quote:
It would actually be a very useful feature to locate files/documents quickly, especially if you are displaying the contents of very large folders as tabs in the Shelf.



This is what I am thinking also. My system try (which I have to use quite often) also has become really bussy, making hard to find stuff.

winstep wrote:

Quote:
A 'global' option would probably also be useful (one that would search the contents of all tabs, for instance) but a lot slower and much harder to implement properly (or perhaps make a dynamic 'Search' tab out of it displaying the results of your search, instead of switching to the target tab, like the Windows Start Menu does - this would also solve the problem of several files matching your search query).


nexter wrote:

Quote:
Sounds altogether far too complicated and not worth the effort for what it would do and for how useful/useless it would be. How often would anybody need to do a search on the contents of a tab? Even the general, local system Windows search is something I may have used, at most, half a dozen times in what, about 24, 25 years? Plus perhaps a dozen times in about 20 years I may have used the search within my file manager. Granted, I'm probably not typical in this.


I tend not to use windows search, because it is really slow and inprecise. That is why I think a search limited to only the active tab/active drawer, by having a lot less content to go through, would be more practical. I see a nice implementation in my Explorer replacement, that I found myself using all the time.


winstep wrote:

Quote:
The latter is actually a good way to solve the multiple matching issue: instead of making the selection cursor jump to the matching item, you would simply 'filter out' all the non-matching results. Of course, we then would need some way to abort the search so the full contents of that tab are displayed again.


A filtering of content as it matches the search is what I had in mind. This way you can click on what you need as soon as it becomes visible, without having to type the full name ( that is why I was thinking of "type as you go" aproach).
As to how to activate/deactivate the search function, what comes to my mind is this: you click to open the shelf tab/drawer and while your mouse is hovering above that tab/drawer:

Option 1
typing something activate the search and moving the mouse on another place on the screen (other than the active tab) will cancel the search

Option 2
left clicking on any place in the shelf tab/drawer (other than icons or any buttons that has a function) will trigger the search. Right clicking in the same conditions will cancel it.

So far this is what I came up with. I will think about it, as I think this will be really a nice to have option.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 632 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: