Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ekko wrote:
I too would very much like this please, is this under consideration at all?

Unfortunately I don't think this will be possible. The taskbar icon badges are performed using a communication method between the application and the Windows taskbar that the Winstep application is not privy off.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:56 am 

Hi everyone, don't know if someone else already posted this request.

Since Microsoft released Windows 11 v22H2 (my current build is 22621.608), they removed the possibility to dock the Taskbar to the upper screeen edge while autohide is on (and I'm still wondering why!! :evil: ).
This brings NextStart to behave weird, since I can still set the Taskbar up but the Start Menù appears in the lower left angle of the screen.
Setting through Windows preferences the Taskbar up with autohide off does not prevent the Start Menù from appearing in the wrong position and furthermore, the NextStart Taskbar does not attach to the upper screen edge but it shows a few pixel downwards, as if it shows under the Windows Taskbar.

Hope in a fix!

Baio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, first Windows 11 22H2 is a buggy mess. I know because I'm unfortunately also running it here. :twisted:

Second, I need you to rephrase all you wrote above but this time correctly identifying everything, please (e.g. "NextSTART taskbar" or "Windows taskbar", "NextSTART Start Menu" or "Windows Start Menu") so I know what is what.

EDIT: Never mind, I blame it on being awake for far longer than I should.

The Windows Start Menu cannot be moved by the Winstep application, if that is what you are referring to, and this has been true since the Windows 7 days. Under Windows 7 moving the Start Menu caused it to become visually corrupt, with Windows 10 and Windows 11 the Start Menu window is now - believe it or not - a full screen window with transparent parts, making it impossible to calculate the size of the Start Menu itself and therefore to move it anywhere.

All this has obviously no effect on the NextSTART Start menu.

As for moving the *Windows* taskbar to the top of the screen, I don't even see an option in the Windows taskbar settings to do such a thing, with auto-hide or without auto-hide. All I know is that MS completely nerfed the taskbar under Windows 11.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:18 pm 

winstep wrote:

As for moving the *Windows* taskbar to the top of the screen, I don't even see an option in the Windows taskbar settings to do such a thing, with auto-hide or without auto-hide. All I know is that MS completely nerfed the taskbar under Windows 11.

There is a way. If I can script it then it is feasible? It's a registry edit. This said 03 is the default and anything registry changing they caution for good reason.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3

The 01 value moves Taskbar to the top.
The 02 value moves Taskbar to the right.
The 00 value moves Taskbar to the left.
The 03 value moves Taskbar to the bottom.

Truthfully, the way they designed it, I feel it works great on top or bottom - the way it shifts and looks right and left, notsomuch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
winstep wrote:

There is a way. If I can script it then it is feasible? It's a registry edit. This said 03 is the default and anything registry changing they caution for good reason.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3

The 01 value moves Taskbar to the top.
The 02 value moves Taskbar to the right.
The 00 value moves Taskbar to the left.
The 03 value moves Taskbar to the bottom.

Truthfully, the way they designed it, I feel it works great on top or bottom - the way it shifts and looks right and left, notsomuch.

Ouch! I (almost) wish you'd done this via PM to Jorge - next thing you know, we'll get some fool or fools who's/'ve totally messed up their registry. ;) :P

Well, wouldn't surprise me anyway, truth be told. (Never underestimate the stupidity of humans. :P )

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And talking about taskbars, one thing I have been head deep working on in the past few days (and is already nearly 100% functional, currently trimming the extra hair) is the ability to have docks (and shelves, and drawers, and grid stacks) in different monitors displaying only the running applications for that monitor.

In other words, implementing what in Windows 11 is described as

"When using multiple displays, show my taskbar apps on: All taskbars/Main taskbar and taskbar where windows is open/Taskbar where window is open."

This also paves to way for multiple taskbars in NextSTART (one per each monitor) a request that has been for a very long time on the to-do list.

Adding a feature like this is a lot more complicated than it might seem at first glance because it means changing ancient internal structures and methods - spread all over the code - that were never built from the ground up to support multiple taskbars, or per-monitor taskbars.

Luckily the work has been going well so far, but the potential for introducing new bugs in code that was previously working fine is huge. On the other hand, so is the reward. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good news re: Nextstart Taskbar! It's long overdue for a lot of TLC really. But it'll keep for now, I guess. :)

(I have a whole list of issues/buglets etc. for the TB! :) )

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:03 am 

Im only using one monitor regularly with tv connected but turned off unless i have company, but good chance ill be able to stumble upon a bug nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Work on WorkShelf and Nexus Ultimate for per-monitor running application lists is finished and the new feature is working fine.

Currently working and making good progress on adding per-monitor taskbar support to NextSTART.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:24 pm 

winstep wrote:
And talking about taskbars, one thing I have been head deep working on in the past few days (and is already nearly 100% functional, currently trimming the extra hair) is the ability to have docks (and shelves, and drawers, and grid stacks) in different monitors displaying only the running applications for that monitor.

In other words, implementing what in Windows 11 is described as

"When using multiple displays, show my taskbar apps on: All taskbars/Main taskbar and taskbar where windows is open/Taskbar where window is open."

This also paves to way for multiple taskbars in NextSTART (one per each monitor) a request that has been for a very long time on the to-do list.

Adding a feature like this is a lot more complicated than it might seem at first glance because it means changing ancient internal structures and methods - spread all over the code - that were never built from the ground up to support multiple taskbars, or per-monitor taskbars.

Luckily the work has been going well so far, but the potential for introducing new bugs in code that was previously working fine is huge. On the other hand, so is the reward. :D

Jorge, as consideration, you have attach / detach system tray from start.
In Win 11, it is not so nice. Maybe a similar tray concept for it if that is even possible? It seems you managed to code an extraction but that said, it might be messy separating the components so they can have their own spot on a tray? Without seeing what you did I can only estimate it to be messy and ugly if they are hard-code??

If not what woukld save real-estate by NOT using another tray would be if the icons 'bubble' popped up as you mouse over them after clicking the corner tray button in the corner tray and remained as they are when unused (invisible until clicked and mouse-over).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:09 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Jorge, as consideration, you have attach / detach system tray from start.
In Win 11, it is not so nice. Maybe a similar tray concept for it if that is even possible? It seems you managed to code an extraction but that said, it might be messy separating the components so they can have their own spot on a tray? Without seeing what you did I can only estimate it to be messy and ugly if they are hard-code??

If not what woukld save real-estate by NOT using another tray would be if the icons 'bubble' popped up as you mouse over them after clicking the corner tray button in the corner tray and remained as they are when unused (invisible until clicked and mouse-over).

Errr.... Sorry, but do you think you could perhaps 'translate' that so us mere mortals might understand it? ;) Got me completely stumped, certainly. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, me too lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:33 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Yeah, me too lol

Good to know I'm not alone in this. :) Was beginning to wonder whether I'd turned into some sort of centenarian with some kind of dementia setting on, or perhaps the 'man with the incredible shrinking brain'! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:37 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, first Windows 11 22H2 is a buggy mess. I know because I'm unfortunately also running it here. :twisted:

Second, I need you to rephrase all you wrote above but this time correctly identifying everything, please (e.g. "NextSTART taskbar" or "Windows taskbar", "NextSTART Start Menu" or "Windows Start Menu") so I know what is what.

EDIT: Never mind, I blame it on being awake for far longer than I should.

The Windows Start Menu cannot be moved by the Winstep application, if that is what you are referring to, and this has been true since the Windows 7 days. Under Windows 7 moving the Start Menu caused it to become visually corrupt, with Windows 10 and Windows 11 the Start Menu window is now - believe it or not - a full screen window with transparent parts, making it impossible to calculate the size of the Start Menu itself and therefore to move it anywhere.

All this has obviously no effect on the NextSTART Start menu.

Thanks for your replay... and sorry for my poor explanation!
As someone else mentioned, there is a way to move the Windows Taskbar in the upper position, even if you can't set the autohide on. Such setting makes the Windows Start Menù display in the correct position (upper left angle).
BUT... if I set the Windows Taskbar this way and then launch NextSTART, the result is the Windows Taskbar disappears, but the NextSTART Taskbar shows a bounch of pixels downwards:

I suppose this behaviour is due to NextSTART option "Allow NextSTART to replace the Windows Taskbar", but I was wondering if there is a way to attach the NextSTART Taskbar to the upper left edge.

Baio

Post subject: feature request
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:53 pm 

While I like the dock very much.
The send minimized applications to dock I had a suggestion I continually miss messages on Steam from family

While that is my problem would it be at all problem to add an option in dock properties
if you receive a message or a minimized application wants your attention it automatically pops up atop all windows

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next