Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List - Upload and Download speed in taskbar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nelsoncarvalho wrote:
I would like to have the upload and download speed on the taskbar, one over the other.

If you are running Winstep Xtreme you can capture the Net In and Net Out desktop modules into the NextSTART taskbar.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

Yes. It is very good.
But my suggetion is to show the velocity (in and out) and not an icon.
Thanks.
Nelson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nelsoncarvalho wrote:
But my suggetion is to show the velocity (in and out) and not an icon.

Not sure I understand, then. The icon shows current bandwidth usage in text format as well (i.e.; overlapping the histogram icon).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 pm 

one feature/functionality suggestion, though im not sure is it possible or how much work would it be, or how many people would appreciate it

Nesting a dock inside windows taskbar (as a toolbar)

one of the reasons i rolled back from win 10 was a known bug(although maybe rare since they were fading out the quick launch) was that even though you could make a quick launchin win 10 the folder permissions/ownership (dont remember exactly)would occasionally get messed up and every shortcut would require a security prompt.
That was one of the bugs that i have found people talking about online, and solved it but they kept occurring
(i only have a few icons in quick launch, one of which is workshelf (in case i need to close and restart it)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

The Cpu, Net and Ram Meter modules are great. Would it be posible to take advantage of a software like Aida64 Extreme? I have this software installed and I think it would be a great combination. Winstep has excelent way of showing the data that Aida64 can read from sistem.
Including suport for displaying Aida64 system reading, you could have a very useful addition to your own software that will certanly apeal to many of the people using Winstep product, without needing to develop a full fleged system monitoring module.
This software offers multiple easy to acces ways of reading all the data it colects: temperature readings, disk activity readings, CPU, GPU, Fan and just about anything else about your hardware.
Can you look into this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
The Cpu, Net and Ram Meter modules are great. Would it be posible to take advantage of a software like Aida64 Extreme?

Oh, I use Aida64 (previously known as Everest) myself, and I'm aware - because I looked into it before - that they actually implemented a mechanism to export information to external applications via memory mapped files (IIRC).

Now, here lies the main problem: the information user A might want to see displayed can be very different from the information user B wants displayed. That is why Aida64 implements the information panel as a simple text based window - there is no simple way to design a cool looking desktop module that would also be dynamic enough to accommodate different levels/amounts of user-selected information.

Some years ago there was a popular application called Sysmetrix which was actually pretty good at this: it displayed various bits of system information in a single free form (skinnable) panel, unlike Winstep modules which are, well, more modular/granular. The issue with this is that *which* information a specific skin displayed had to be preset by the person doing that specific skin/theme, and not by the user himself. In practice this meant that you could find some real cool skins which did NOT display all the information you wanted, and others that did but were not as cool/good looking.

Despite this Sysmetrix was quite popular, and the fact that it was free also meant it had a ton of different skins/themes available for it, which kind of made up for that shortcoming. Unfortunately Nick, as it happens to every freeware author whose creation becomes popular, eventually got into a position where he had to choose between his full time job and dedicating more time to Sysmetrix. He chose the former (can't really blame him) and Sysmetrix stopped being developed further.

So, Sysmetrix approached this issue as a 'all in one' panel, while Winstep applications take a different approach (different information gets split into different modules/widgets, which can then be turned on/off at will).

The days in which skinning was very popular (i.e.; there were many users making different skins/themes) are now also long gone. Very few people make skins these days.

All these issues make a collaboration with Aida64 highly unlikely, although not impossible. This is something I would like to revisit once the core functionality of Winstep Xtreme/Nexus is finished and I finally focus solely on adding more modules.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:45 pm 

Thank you for the detailed answer!
I have red your reply twice, to make shure I understand corectly. I see your point about prioritising core functionality and I agree.
I am not a coder nor do I know your "roadmap" so here is what I am thinkimg: Winstep suite still looks like a good match for Aida to me. Even a personalised Cpu meter, that allready has gouge, meter and text suport is better than the output they are offering. In my novice "coder" opinion, all that would be required would be to alow for multiple instances of a module, renaming an posibility of selecting between meter, gouge or text output (skin dependent). But I do not know the coding inplications nor the time that you can aford to invest inthis direction.
Please let me know if my point of view is not corect. Also thank you for the time you allready alocated to explain the matter to me. I will not push on the subject from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:09 pm 

Some applications send notifications that cause the NextSTART and Nexus to open and flash the icon. Cisco Webex is one of these, and the app won't let me switch off notifications. My wish is that I could right click on the tab in the task bar and see a menu item that will allow me to disable notifications (actually to cause Winstep to stop opening NextSTART and Nexus). Once disabled, right clicking on the tab would show a menu item to reenable notifications again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:37 am 

I recently updated my license from my purchase in 2012 to see if some of my desires have been updated.

A few things I notice are still lacking and I'd like to suggest them here:

1) The ability to colorize/use a different icon / apply effect to applications that are running.

2) The ability to not allow multiple instances of an application to be run at the item level (some can be, others not, in the same dock or drawer)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

szalkerous wrote:
I recently updated my license from my purchase in 2012 to see if some of my desires have been updated.

2012, eh? Well, that's quite a jump. Since you already stated what was still missing from your perspective, it would also be nice to know your first impressions after making such a big jump: which new things did you like the most?

szalkerous wrote:
1) The ability to colorize/use a different icon / apply effect to applications that are running.

Hmmm... not sure I fully understand this one? Care to elaborate?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 pm 

winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

szalkerous wrote:

maybe he means more options for this?
http://prntscr.com/hiaxr8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
maybe he means more options for this?
http://prntscr.com/hiaxr8

If so he can already use different icons...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 pm 

winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

I think what he's talking about is the ability to have an application's icon either change color or change to a different icon when it's running. I'm guessing he means in Nexus or Workshelf, or maybe Quicklaunch?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm 

vectornut wrote:
winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

I think what he's talking about is the ability to have an application's icon either change color or change to a different icon when it's running. I'm guessing he means in Nexus or Workshelf, or maybe Quicklaunch?

Sorry guys, I probably should be have been more concise on my product and thoughts.

I'm coming from/to Nexus Ultimate (just the docks/drawers). I use it for my work laptop as I'm a software engineer and trying to organize all my tools and utilities becomes a huge hassle. Work wouldn't buy it for me, so I bought it for myself. I did recently get a new-ish laptop and as such wanted to preserve my toolbars and such...and simply decided to upgrade it to get any new features and updates, and ensure that it's Windows 10 compatible.

Now, that being said--

What I was looking for was to be able to set up a generic application link in a toolbar or shelf, and have it be able to track if that process (or at least one matching it) is currently running on the system. If so, I'd like to be able to have it use an effect, or an alternative font/color arrangement, to show that the process is running on the system. This way I can quickly see that I already ran the program at some point. I have a few manual-start daemon services that I need to launch for certain types of work and knowing they're already running would be really ideal instead of having to hunt through task manager to find the process.

This also ties in with being able to set "only launch one instance" options on the item itself, and not the whole shelf bar or Nexus-wide.

I'd assume this wouldn't be too bad to add in, I already have code that does something similar in .NET for a monitor program service I have written. On a separate thread, I snapshot all the running process names and PIDs into a List object every few seconds and then separately on my "refresh" cycle thread I poll that list to see if my object is running or not, and update a flag. I'd think in concept Nexus could do something similar and then apply (or remove) any "When application is running" behavior customizations.

Does that make sense? :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm 

winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

2012, eh? Well, that's quite a jump. Since you already stated what was still missing from your perspective, it would also be nice to know your first impressions after making such a big jump: which new things did you like the most?

To be honest I haven't done an apples-to-apples comparison... but what I'm mostly looking for is deeper customization and improved performance--especially around system resource impacts (CPU/memory/etc.). Lightweight is good for me.

So far it seems to operate well on my "new" laptop (quad-core Intel w/HT) and that's important as I'm usually eating up all my system horsepower on Visual Studio and a bajillion web browser tabs. I tweaked the Windows 7 theme to look as close to my Win 10 as possible. Kinda hoping someone comes out with a Windows 10 clone theme at some point.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 58  Next