Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Whish List
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:56 am 

Wow, a dev response straight away!

Thats amazing - it takes stardock 3 years to respond, and they dont even answer the question you asked :P

Yeah I am aware of the system tray modes - I have looked at all of the different options in Nexus.

Its truly amazing software.

One thing I might contribute - when I select the option to "prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock" it reserves the screenspace for the dock.

Now, if I have HIDDEN the taskbar, it should also IGNORE the reserved space for the taskbar, but it does not.
The way I fixed this was to set the taskbar to autohide before hiding the taskbar, but it would be nice to have this automatic.

Other than that and the systray icons, I cant see any issues - and its so SMOOTH! its amazing!
Nexus dock ftw!!!!

Also, is there any chance of me getting into beta for the new nexus dock? Happy to pay for ultimate :)

-Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ashtefere wrote:
Its truly amazing software.

Thanks. :oops: :D
ashtefere wrote:
Now, if I have HIDDEN the taskbar, it should also IGNORE the reserved space for the taskbar, but it does not.

Funny you should mention this - I fixed this issue last week.

The ability to change the auto-hide and always-on-top settings of the Windows taskbar programatically only became available in XP (previously there was nothing you could do to change the behavior of the Windows taskbar without forcing a reboot first) but, the most amazing thing, is that I only became aware that this possibility existed last week!

Needless to say, I implemented it immediately and it will be part of the next release.
ashtefere wrote:
Also, is there any chance of me getting into beta for the new nexus dock? Happy to pay for ultimate :)

Registered Winstep users get to access the Beta forums section of this forum (read the 'How to access the Beta forum' post here) and get to try the betas as they become available. Have you registered Ultimate already? If so, send me a PM. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 pm 

Greetings,

I've been trying out the freebie version of nexus and find the features quite impressive as opposed to other docks/launchers. Got some suggestions which may have been posted already but one thing I miss from using Rocketdock is its ability to preview dock icons before applying a new icon to a dock as well as reverting back to the default icon. Quite handy for users who happen to have a bunch of icons to choose from.

offtopic:

One thing I'd like to ask is about WsxService. Is it safe to disable it? While searching the forums, a post indicated that it is needed for privilege escalation which I don't normally use (happy LUA user here :lol: ).

Another is that there seems to be a bug when clicking the clock dock. I have my internet time server set to time.nist.gov but when clicking the clock from the dock and checking the settings, it indicates time.windows.com and an error occurs when I try change it to time.nist.gov even when running an admin instance of nexus.

Regards and good day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

08curious wrote:
one thing I miss from using Rocketdock is its ability to preview dock icons before applying a new icon to a dock as well as reverting back to the default icon. Quite handy for users who happen to have a bunch of icons to choose from.

I have one better for you: I bet you didn't know that you can customize the icon of a shortcut on the Nexus dock simply by dropping an .ICO, .PNG or .TIF file directly into it.

So here is what you should do: open your icons folder in Explorer and set the view to 'Large Icons'. Then just drag & drop away. Much easier, heh? :wink:

08curious wrote:
One thing I'd like to ask is about WsxService. Is it safe to disable it? While searching the forums, a post indicated that it is needed for privilege escalation which I don't normally use (happy LUA user here :lol: ).

Do NOT disable the service. It's not a question of privilege escalation, the service actually *does* the stuff that requires admin privileges to perform.

08curious wrote:
Another is that there seems to be a bug when clicking the clock dock. I have my internet time server set to time.nist.gov but when clicking the clock from the dock and checking the settings, it indicates time.windows.com and an error occurs when I try change it to time.nist.gov even when running an admin instance of nexus.

Err... two issues here: first, Nexus does not allow you to choose the time server, so I'm not sure what you mean?

Second, you do NOT want to run Nexus as an high privilege application (in fact, assuming you are running the latest version, v10.6, it will pop out a warning if you try it) as, due to Window's User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI), you cannot drag & drop between lower and higher privilege applications.

In other words, since Explorer runs with normal privileges, you would be unable to drag shortcuts from Explorer into a Nexus process running with high privileges.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:11 am 

Hi there Jorge.

In response to registration - I think ill be buying nexus dock tonight when I get home ;).

I have a couple questions though, and they apply to the windows system icons.

Specifically, the VOLUME, WIFI, Network and any other icons that CHANGE their icon by themselves - is nexus dock capable of changing the custom systray icons when the normal icons change?

I guess a way to do this is to replace the specific image (poll the systray item for the icon its using) and then when the icon changes you have to replace THAT on too... though thats a bit messy.

When I think about it it sounds pretty hard to do :(

Anyway, let me know.

thanks

-Ash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ashtefere wrote:
Specifically, the VOLUME, WIFI, Network and any other icons that CHANGE their icon by themselves - is nexus dock capable of changing the custom systray icons when the normal icons change?

I guess a way to do this is to replace the specific image (poll the systray item for the icon its using) and then when the icon changes you have to replace THAT on too... though thats a bit messy.

Note that system tray icon customization will only be available in the *next* version of Nexus Ultimate.

As you correctly stated, there is an issue with customizing system tray icons that change their state or animate. Not sure how I will tackle that yet, but I guess that if the icon index changes to one which does not have a customized version, Nexus will use the *original* new state icon so not to break functionality, instead of keeping the static customized icon.

It would thus be up to the user to provide all frames/states when customizing a system tray icon - or he can choose not to customize that particular icon at all.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:10 am 

Hey,

I'm a new user to this program (Nexus) and I have to say I'm loving it. I was using ObjectDock prior to this, but decided to look around for something better and am very pleased with my change.

Now, some things I hope to see implemented in a future release of Nexus:
    1. When clicking on a program shortcut, if that program is already running (e.g. clicking on Google Chrome) there should be an option similar to ObjectDock to 'bring application to front' only, rather than launching a new instance of the program. This would save having to click on the thumbnail in the tasklist on the right of my dock.
    2. Ability to change the icons in the system tray. I have them grouped together, and they are still low quality and look a bit dodgy when compared to the rest of my dock.
    3. Stacks. Apparently this is something that is being worked on at the moment, so I'm looking forward to the implementation of this.
    4. Create a 'fix' for the Start Menu issues experienced in Windows 7. I read that this is a problem with Windows, and not Winstep, but if there is any way to fix it - please try!

Modules:
    1. Wireless network module/shortcut.
    2. Calendar (currently have to use Outlook - can't double click on the clock to bring it up). Perhaps on mouseover of the clock module, the calendar could show up like in Windows, and on double click you could access it.
    3. Change the clock module - I would prefer to merely have a simple digital readout of the clock, rather than its' current state which is a square with time and date (see screenshot). I have tried changing the theme for the digital clock, but it doesn't change in the dock when I do so. Ideally, the ability to have the clock in the system tray or to the right of it where it usually is in Windows would be great.

I think that's about it. Once again, great work on the program! I look forward to future updates.

Attachments:
File comment: Here's my dock
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg [ 234.06 KiB | Viewed 346315 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1, 2 and 3 are all in the works for next release, although 2 and 3 will only be available under Nexus Ultimate.

In fact, 1 will be part of a larger change, in which the dock will optionally act a lot like the Windows 7 "superbar", with fluid mouse over window previews and all.

Now 4 has been 'fixed' in v10.6 by making the Start Menu pop up where it usually does (instead of close to the Start Menu icon in the dock). Got tired of people thinking that the visual glitches with the Windows Start Menu were a bug with Nexus.

More modules are also on the to-do list.

As for your digital clock module in the shelf, you get that square because you're not using the magnify mouse over effect (try setting the dock's icon size to 48x48 and you'll see what the digital clock should look like) *and* an issue with the way the clock image was built in the past. Should be fixed in the next release so you always get the propert digital read-out.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:19 am 

Thanks for the quick reply, it's good to see a developer who actually listens to feedback and can respond to questions quickly!

winstep wrote:
As for your digital clock module in the shelf, you get that square because you're not using the magnify mouse over effect (try setting the dock's icon size to 48x48 and you'll see what the digital clock should look like) *and* an issue with the way the clock image was built in the past. Should be fixed in the next release so you always get the propert digital read-out.

Ok, I've just changed the icon size to 48 but it seems the icon in the dock has one theme only - that of the time with a white calendar below it. It would be good to simply have the time, and be able to move the time to the far right of the dock.

Other than that, keep up the good work! I've read that you plan to release the next version in August sometime, so I will keep my eyes peeled.

Edit: actually, my issue with the start menu is that when I type into the search box, the start menu flicks between its normal position and the left of my screen (see screenshot).

Attachments:
Start Menu.jpg
Start Menu.jpg [ 102.58 KiB | Viewed 346311 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mesaboogie wrote:
Ok, I've just changed the icon size to 48 but it seems the icon in the dock has one theme only - that of the time with a white calendar below it.

Not much you can do with a icon sized digital clock.

mesaboogie wrote:
Edit: actually, my issue with the start menu is that when I type into the search box, the start menu flicks between its normal position and the left of my screen (see screenshot).

Doh! I fixed that in Nexus v10.6 but forgot to fix it in Winstep Xtreme as well. :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:48 am 

winstep wrote:
Not much you can do with a icon sized digital clock.

I guess that's fair enough :)

Quote:
Doh! I fixed that in Nexus v10.6 but forgot to fix it in Winstep Xtreme as well. :roll:

Ah, that would explain that! Glad to have figured this out - it's not just my computer being difficult!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:29 pm 

winstep wrote:
ashtefere wrote:

Note that system tray icon customization will only be available in the *next* version of Nexus Ultimate.

As you correctly stated, there is an issue with customizing system tray icons that change their state or animate. Not sure how I will tackle that yet, but I guess that if the icon index changes to one which does not have a customized version, Nexus will use the *original* new state icon so not to break functionality, instead of keeping the static customized icon.

It would thus be up to the user to provide all frames/states when customizing a system tray icon - or he can choose not to customize that particular icon at all.

Thanks Jorge, I thought thats how you would do it. While it would be tedious not being able to state all the images at once for something like wifi, its currently the best option that I can see.

As for the startmenu thing - how bout replacing the startmenu altogether? I develop themes for litestep, and the only reason I stopped at the moment is the systray and explorer issues on 64-bit.
Perhaps something like a stack-tree? Anyway, Ill think on it some more.

Also, I cant wait for the next version of nexus! :D

-Ash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ashtefere wrote:
As for the startmenu thing - how bout replacing the startmenu altogether?

That's one of the things the NextSTART component in Winstep Xtreme does.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 am 

Ok, I'm having a recurring problem running Winstep Extreme. I changed the icon for the "System Tray Expand Button" and ever since, I encounter problems with the separator used next to the running programs/tasks. Instead of the normal separator (see above posts for example) it changes to the green arrow. If I change the icon to something else, the problem goes away. I can then use the green arrow again. I have no idea what is causing this. Help?

Check my screenshot.

Attachments:
Problem.jpg
Problem.jpg [ 81.65 KiB | Viewed 346296 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mesaboogie wrote:
Instead of the normal separator (see above posts for example) it changes to the green arrow.

Bug, thank your for spotting it. I think I fixed it for next release.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next