Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:04 am 

amymor wrote:
winstep wrote:
I'm sorry, but in these day and age where most modern systems have at least 8GB RAM and most have 16GB of RAM, it makes no sense to talk about those kind of really low memory usage numbers...

when you use your system for gaming , that 1mb memory usage or cpu usage become important for you.and you didnt answer me why nexus use cpu when i moving a window :?:

Jorge DOES use his system for gaming. ;-) Which, now that I think about it, might explain his mysterious disappearances every time a cool new game comes out (just kidding--he is a gamer, though).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
Jorge DOES use his system for gaming. ;-) Which, now that I think about it, might explain his mysterious disappearances every time a cool new game comes out (just kidding--he is a gamer, though).

Ahah, that's not why (temporary burnouts are real lol!) but I do game, of course. :)

This said, I am not a good example since I run top of the line hardware (e.g.; my *previous* system would still be considered high end now despite being 5 years old).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am 

Hi,

I have several ideas in my mind:

1) Add an official tool that we can manage the theme like create, edit, export theme ..etc..

2) Winstep have great feature that "colorize with dominant color of desktop background" that will colorize the color of dock based on desktop wallpaper but if we use another wallpaper application like DeskScape, Wallpaper Engine..etc the color of the dock can't change based on the color of the wallpaper. Do we have plan to add an option for this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 am 

Please, please, please just add these small changes:

1) Add and option for activating the dock ONLY with a shortcut. Even when I assign a shortcut, the dock keeps activating every time I bump the center of the screen.

2) Please include Win key among the shortcuts used to activate the dock. e.g. "Win + D"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:42 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Basshunter wrote:
1) Add and option for activating the dock ONLY with a shortcut. Even when I assign a shortcut, the dock keeps activating every time I bump the center of the screen.

What happens if you:
  1. Right-click the dock Nexus icon and choose Dock Properties.
  2. Switch to Behavior tab.
  3. Click the Activation Settings button.
  4. And uncheck the two "Bring dock forward" checkboxes?

Attachment:
WorkShelf_2019-10-11_00-37-13.png
WorkShelf_2019-10-11_00-37-13.png [ 88.53 KiB | Viewed 79691 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A ***hidden*** docked dock will ALWAYS activate when you bump or swipe the screen edge. This is to prevent users from locking themselves out of their docks (by forgetting the keyboard shortcut, for instance).

The 'Bring forward' settings have to do with z-order only, i.e.; bringing the dock on top of other windows. Not sure if that is what he meant by 'activating' though, if it is your solution will work.

Otherwise what he can do to prevent accidental edge bumps is change the activation method to an 'edge swipe' instead of 'edge bump'.

As for including the WIN key for shortcuts, that is not possible as these shortcuts are reserved by the system. Still plenty of ALT, SHIFT and CTRL combinations to choose from. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 am 

Changing to "edge swipe" just made things worse. I keep having problems with the dock activating accidentally. Again, an option to prevent dock activation from edge bump would be highly appreciated. This way I can set it to be activated just by a shortcut or at least with one of the edge corners. But honestly it doesn't makes any sense to choose one of these options right now since they won't prevent to accidentally activate the dock everytime i'm trying to navigate on my Chrome tabs. It could be added as an option and not the default behavior if you wish. I decided to gave nexus a second chance, but honestly this is driving me crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I fail to see how an edge swipe can make things worse, as it requires you to swipe the mouse pointer *along* the edge of the screen for quite some distance and withing a short period of time before anything happens.

I can understand accidental activations when 'bumping' the mouse pointer against the screen edge in a perpendicular way as you reach for a Chrome tab or the titlebar of a maximized window and overshoot, but an edge swipe requires dragging it parallel to the edge and right along it.

Anyway, if you look in the Activation Settings dialog you should notice there is a 'Edge Swipe Settings' button. Clicking on it allows you to adjust the time (and distance) required before an activation occurs. Just set the distance to maximum and the time to minimum, this should basically disable the edge swipe mechanism and thus prevent accidental activations of the dock when it is hidden beyond the screen edge (I assume this is what we have been talking about all this time, right?).

Likewise, you also have settings for Edge Bump activations which you can adjust to your liking.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 pm 

The problem I find with Edge swipe (dragging it parallel to the edge and right along it) is that I find myself doing that exact same movement many times specially when working with Chrome tabs.

I actually find it really natural to have an option that let you assign a hotkey and prevent the dock activation by any means except by that hotkey. But anyways, I think there's no point on keeping arguing. I'll just try the settings you proposed and see how it behaves. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Basshunter wrote:
I actually find it really natural to have an option that let you assign a hotkey and prevent the dock activation by any means except by that hotkey.

Yes, on the surface it seems like a no-brainer. But do you know the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" ? :)

As a developer with over 20 years of experience dealing with thousands of users, I know *exactly* what would happen if I did that: a percentage (no matter how small it is) would forget the key combination they set to activate their dock (also keep in mind that the free version - the one with most users by far - only has one dock and it's through the dock users normally access Preferences).

From those, another percentage would then not know how to access Preferences to check and/or change the hot key combination, and that is assuming they would actually remember having disabled edge activation in the first place - most would immediately uninstall the application thinking of it as buggy (which is VERY bad), the remaining would write to support.

Now keep in mind that even only 0.1% of 1 million users is still 1,000 people. That's a lot of bad will, mails, energy and time wasted for a 'feature' only a handful of people in the world might find useful.

It's a balancing act. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 am 

Jorge, how much longer are we going to have to wait to be able to move multiple modules at the same time? I know you won't let them snap together, and even though I disagree, I understand your reasoning, but <ctrl> click to select multiple and move would sure bey nice.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:17 am 

Wish I could get Windows' right click menu on my NeXus dock icons.

I'd like to still be able to use the screen corner to go back to the desktop, (although I think the solution for this is to buy the full version and make a second dock in the corner ;])
I would also like to see access to the Windows quick settings/ notification tab, and the windows calendar.

Wish I could disable the "Are you sure you want to exit NeXus??!1one?" popup window.

Wish I could scroll on the volume control icon in the system tray to adjust volume without having to click the icon.
Being able to color it would be cool too.

Currently trying to figure out how to make the spacers between my dock, the currently running apps, and my system tray 1px wide (Red arrows in attached screenshot).

It's probably because my icons are at 1px spacing, but I can't seem to drag my icons between two running apps, although it only happens in certain instances. If you look at the attached screenshot, I can not drag icons in the places marked with the no-go symbol (Blue in screenshot), which is what my mouse cursor turns into when I drag an icon there. I can move things anywhere else with no problem.

Love the application, been using it for ~a month or two. Just bought the full version if only to get my volume icon to the left side of my tray. I use my phone as a remote touchpad, so over wifi (mouse latency/ missed inputs) I often overscroll off the end of my dock, closing it.
So maybe even an option for a bit more padding an the end of the dock?

Love to see that you're here responding to users! I didn't see a better place to post a bug report, so this kinda turned into one. If there are things I'm missing, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Just noticed that it's NeXus blurring my tray icons when I mouse over them. Wish it didn't do that.

Attachments:
nexus.jpg
nexus.jpg [ 70.54 KiB | Viewed 78657 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

the_lane wrote:
Wish I could get Windows' right click menu on my NeXus dock icons.

Open the dock properties screen, go to the Behavior tab. Make sure 'Show full right click context menu options' is set to 'Always'. This makes the dock display all the options it would (e.g.; Open With, Send to, etc...) if you had right clicked on that item in Explorer (assuming it is an actual application or file, of course).

[/quote]I'd like to still be able to use the screen corner to go back to the desktop, (although I think the solution for this is to buy the full version and make a second dock in the corner ;]) [/quote]

Not sure what you mean by 'go back to the desktop' ?

Anyway, I think you should take a look at the List of Internal Commands. Internal commands are items you can add to the dock that perform specific actions - many of the things you request below can be made through them.

the_lane wrote:
I would also like to see access to the Windows quick settings/ notification tab, and the windows calendar.

If by notification tab you mean the Windows 10 Action Center, just add that specific internal command to the dock. As for the Windows Calendar, just drag it from the Windows 10 Start Menu into the dock - Winstep applications fully support UWP apps.

the_lane wrote:
Wish I could disable the "Are you sure you want to exit NeXus??!1one?" popup window.

Nexus is not the type of application you run and exit frequently. Anyway, again internal commands can come to your rescue: simply add the 'Quick Exit Nexus' internal command to the dock and then click on it instead to exit.

the_lane wrote:
Wish I could scroll on the volume control icon in the system tray to adjust volume without having to click the icon.
Being able to color it would be cool too.

Yeah, not going to happen though - the dock only supports static icons and the functionality in the dock tray icons is the same as in Windows.

the_lane wrote:
Currently trying to figure out how to make the spacers between my dock, the currently running apps, and my system tray 1px wide (Red arrows in attached screenshot).

You can't. In part due to the nature of the dock's magnification algorithm, spacers are ALWAYS the size of an icon. One advantage is that you can customize individual spacers with specific images if you want to.

the_lane wrote:
It's probably because my icons are at 1px spacing, but I can't seem to drag my icons between two running apps, although it only happens in certain instances.

Nexus supports *full* drag & drop functionality, which means you can do stuff like drop documents *into* application icons to open the document in that specific application. You can also drop PNG, ICO and TIF image files directly INTO an item in the dock to quickly customize that item's icon (probably very useful functionality to you).

As such, it needs to know when your intention is to add an item to the dock via drag & drop or perform one of the above functions. If you drop an item in the space in-between icons this is pretty clear - of course you have reduced this spacing to the bare minimum, which can then cause problems.

Does this also happen if you increase the icon spacing a bit? Also, in the Behavior tab of the Dock Properties screen, is 'Lock icons and prevent them from being dragged' checked (I assume not, otherwise you would not be able to drop items into the dock at all)?

the_lane wrote:
So maybe even an option for a bit more padding an the end of the dock?

Just add spacers at the ends of the dock with blank PNG images as the icon?

the_lane wrote:
EDIT: Just noticed that it's NeXus blurring my tray icons when I mouse over them. Wish it didn't do that.

As far as I know, Nexus is the only dock able to display system tray icons. Now, here is the problem: in the Windows taskbar, tray icons have typically been very small 16x16 icons (and in the Windows taskbar they do not magnify, they always remain the same size).

Because of this applications more often than not provide a small 16x16 image for the tray icon. When the dock magnifies, that is the image it has to work with, so it has no choice but to magnify the small 16x16 icon into a bigger size which causes the blurriness (there are no miracles eheh).

This is one of the reasons why, in the paid versions, you are allowed to customize tray icons with higher resolution images (this can still be a time consuming task, though). If you are already running the paid version (Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme) check the Tray tab in Preferences.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:54 pm 

Hello,
I am a new user of Nexus (ultimate)
There is a functionality in windows which is very useful to me to know that the passage of the mouse on the icon of the taskbar allows me to display the window that I wish to see appear when there are several open .

Bmzen

Sorry but i use google translator for messages

Post subject: IMAP Idle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:28 pm 

Any chance of implementing IMAP Idle support for the Email checker? That way one could get notified immediately upon new mail, instead of polling every minute (for servers that support it, of course).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 58  Next