Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:29 am 

I can only think of a few things that would be nice... I mean, so much is already in the app. The UWP support is amazing.

* Sound events for individual shortcuts. (Seems like all of the sound associations are global currently.)

* More animation/effect options. Not sure exactly what those would be. Maybe an option to attach custom effect graphics created by the user for mouseover/launch/attention/delete. (As an animated PNG maybe.)

* Portability. Would be nice to keep on my USB drive with all of my portable apps.

* The water ripple thing is interesting. Wondered why there weren't more things like that. Say like a distortion effect that follows a mouse hover or something.

* An option to show a shelf/dock as an item on the system the start bar or system tray. Sometimes they don't respond to screen edge bumps. I did associate one of the tabs of a shelf with a hot key, which works alright to bring the shelf up. Still do wonder if it would be nice to click an icon in the system tray to do so.

* An option to totally hide a shelf offscreen. This may already be possible and I just haven't seen the option. As it is, my shelves always take up a portion of the edge of the screen. Maximized programs cover them, but my desktop seems a bit cluttered when everything is closed.

* The built in modules are pretty awesome. Love them! There is just one more that I'd like - a slideshow. Maybe to place on the desktop or hover over on a dock.

Again, great program! Interest in this sort of Windows modification and tailoring seems low these days, with a lot of other programs discontinuing or never being maintenanced. Winstep is basically the only and best show in town!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 am 

I would like to see a "drawer" applet for the startbar, similar to the one you could get in Gnome....

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ankush85698 wrote:
I would like to see a "drawer" applet for the startbar, similar to the one you could get in Gnome....

If you are using Winstep Xtreme and therefore NextSTART to replace the Windows taskbar, you can have the NextSTART taskbar hold a pointer to a Grid Stack in WorkShelf (or even a dock). Same thing as a Drawer in Gnome, AFAIK.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am 

It is possible now to show system tray in a dock. If I can hide icons selectively in the tray, it will be great feature for me, because few programs have an option not to show their icons in systray.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sekar wrote:
It is possible now to show system tray in a dock. If I can hide icons selectively in the tray, it will be great feature for me, because few programs have an option not to show their icons in systray.

Yes, you can show the system tray icons on any dock - that feature has been there for years, even on the free version of Nexus.

However, since tray icons are originally 16x16 icon images, they will look a bit bad when magnified to normal dock icon sizes. This is why in the paid versions (Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme) allow you to customize those icons using your own higher resolution versions.

As for which systray icons appear on the dock and which appear on the expandable 'tray', you can use Windows own built-in mechanism for that (or you can tell the dock to display all icons regardless).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am 

winstep wrote:
However, since tray icons are originally 16x16 icon images, they will look a bit bad when magnified to normal dock icon sizes. This is why in the paid versions (Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme) allow you to customize those icons using your own higher resolution versions.

As for which systray icons appear on the dock and which appear on the expandable 'tray', you can use Windows own built-in mechanism for that (or you can tell the dock to display all icons regardless).

That`s OK. But how can I hide some icons from the system tray? Some of them I want to see and some not. Thanks for quick response.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said, you use Windows own built-in mechanism for that. Since the XP days the tray has been divided into what you can always see and tray icons that are usually hidden but can be accessed by expanding the tray.

Which icons appear where can be defined through Windows (Windows Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Notification Area - Select which icons appear on the taskbar). Right below this option Windows also allows you to turn some system icons on or off.

If you want to display all tray icons in the dock at once including those that are normally hidden, you can, but in that case the only way to control which icons appear and which not is via each application's individual settings.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am 

I hided icons in options of systray in Windows 8.1, but they are still displayed in Nexus dock, containing system tray. Restarted program, but nothing changed.

And of course, it will be more preferably, if Nexus uses its own mechanism for that, not Windows built-in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Assuming you are running the free version of Nexus, open Preferences, go to the Content tab and make sure 'Always show all system tray icons' is disabled. This way only the system icons are displayed in the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 pm 

hello
1.an option for removing two annoying mini-tab button from drawer and all other.because when you use a small tab size or a long title ، the title of tab didnt show completely.

2.an option for resizing drawer tab and its title.objectdock already have this feature

3.grid stack without any animations and support original windows right click menu for stacks items."standalone stack" already have it but if in the future add in nexus will be greater.

4.a tabbed dock 100% like objectdock not Shelves

5.a light and slim version of nexus without any animations and sound and skinned menu and shelvs. only contain drawer and dock and grid stack.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

amymor wrote:
1.an option for removing two annoying mini-tab button from drawer and all other.because when you use a small tab size or a long title ، the title of tab didnt show completely.

Those mini-tabs are there for a reason. For instance, clicking the expand mini-tab allows you to keep a drawer open regardless of current auto-hide status until you click on it again.

If you want to have more space for the tab title, I suggest you play with that Drawer's icon spacing settings instead (Drawer Properties -> Appearance tab -> Icon Spacing). Alternatively, use shorter tab titles and/or abreviations.

amymor wrote:
2.an option for resizing drawer tab and its title.

You can simply re-scale the Drawer: Drawer Properties -> Appearance tab -> Drawer scaling.

Alternatively you can make your own customized theme.

amymor wrote:
3.grid stack without any animations

Since you don't seem to like animations, those can be disabled in the General tab of Preferences by selecting 'Disable all animations'.

amymor wrote:
and support original windows right click menu for stacks items."standalone stack" already have it but if in the future add in nexus will be greater.

The right click menus for Grid Stack Items display the same options you get in Explorer provided the 'Show full right click context menu options?' is set to 'Always'.

amymor wrote:
4.a tabbed dock 100% like objectdock not Shelves

You have to understand that Nexus Ultimate is not ObjectDock. In fact, the tabbed dock (Shelf) in Nexus Ultimate predates ObjectDock by many years. I suggest you get used to a new way of doing things instead of trying to turn Nexus Ultimate into ObjectDock.

amymor wrote:
5.a light and slim version of nexus without any animations and sound and skinned menu and shelvs. only contain drawer and dock and grid stack.

This shows me you haven't been using Nexus Ultimate for very long. :)

Nexus Ultimate is modular and nearly everything can be disabled/customized. You can disable animations in the General tab of Preferences. You can disable Sounds and Voices in the Sounds tab of Preferences. You can disable the Shelf in the Docks & Shelves tab of Preferences (I would, however, first try to understand all that Shelves can actually do - hint: they are a LOT more powerful and flexible than tabbed docks in OD).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 am 

winstep wrote:
This shows me you haven't been using Nexus Ultimate for very long. :)

I used 19.2 version a week ago. and didnt like its style.i want a simple dock(with supporting oirginal right click).sry i was wrong about right click menu in Grid stack and disabling its animation(that was about stack docklet in OD and rocket dock).
winstep wrote:
Nexus Ultimate is modular and nearly everything can be disabled/customized. You can disable animations in the General tab of Preferences. You can disable Sounds and Voices in the Sounds tab of Preferences. You can disable the Shelf in the Docks & Shelves tab of Preferences (I would, however, first try to understand all that Shelves can actually do - hint: they are a LOT more powerful and flexible than tabbed docks in OD).

i know i can disable all thing in preferences.but because some reason i need lower memory & cpu usage. Y'z dock only use 1mb of memory. OD 14mb . nexus 10mb.rk launcher 3mb.
but i dont understand in OD & Nexus why cpu used when i move mouse pointer between previews of windows in taskbar?(about 1-2% cpu usage).also when i move a window, nexus use 1-2% cpu.
all dock launchers i tested (about 20 launcher) have some problem.Y'z and RK have problem With "show desktop" button. OD slow my boot time . and nexus has ugly interface for me.i played with all its setting. but after a day i cant accept some its design.anyway nexus has many great features that arent available in other docks.(but some of these features aren't important to me)
however thank you for your reply :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

amymor wrote:
i know i can disable all thing in preferences.but because some reason i need lower memory & cpu usage. Y'z dock only use 1mb of memory. OD 14mb . nexus 14mb.rk launcher 3mb.

I'm sorry, but in these day and age where most modern systems have at least 8GB RAM and most have 16GB of RAM, it makes no sense to talk about those kind of really low memory usage numbers, especially when you consider that the browser you are using right now to read this (whatever it is, they are all the same in this respect!) uses *10 times more RAM* than Nexus just to display *a single blank web page* (not making this up, Chrome uses 150 MB *at launch* just to display a blank web page, just tried it here to confirm!). You're nitpicking.

Anyway, you might want to read this Optimizing for Speed and Memory Usage page on the Winstep web site. Also, the application has options in the Advanced tab of Preferences that allow you to change the balance between speed and memory usage.

As for features that are and aren't important, surely you understand that what is important to you might not be important to someone else, and vice-versa. This is one of the reasons why Nexus is so modular and customizable.

As for not liking the look of the GUI, well, that's personal taste. You can actually use different Standard/Light/Dark modes for it (which you can select in the About tab of Preferences) and even skin it using an application like WindowBlinds. Most like it or don't really care, others like you might not. Given that the application itself is skinnable, once you've got it setup just the way you want you won't be forced to look at the GUI much anyway. :)

As far as I know, Nexus is the only dock still in active development - all the others are dead and have been for a very long time. For this reason, it's also the only dock that is currently *fully* compatible with Windows 10.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 am 

winstep wrote:
I'm sorry, but in these day and age where most modern systems have at least 8GB RAM and most have 16GB of RAM, it makes no sense to talk about those kind of really low memory usage numbers...

when you use your system for gaming , that 1mb memory usage or cpu usage become important for you.and you didnt answer me why nexus use cpu when i moving a window :?:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

amymor wrote:
when you use your system for gaming , that 1mb memory usage or cpu usage become important for you.

19-12 years ago, perhaps, but not these days. Exactly how old is your system?!

amymor wrote:
and you didnt answer me why nexus use cpu when i moving a window :?:

If it does it doesn't even register here, and it probably depends on what you are doing and your settings because I really have no idea what could be causing that based on your description. What are your system specs? What CPU, RAM, video card?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 58  Next