Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, don't follow. Screenshots?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 pm 

It would be nice if the date in the system tray showed the day of the week. User selectable, perhaps?

Edit: Just found out that the DOW is shown in the Nexus clock, so wish pretty much cancelled...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 am 

I don't know how hard this would be, but would it be possible to add the ability to fine tune module placement by making it so that we could use a key combo (CTRL-arrows) to nudge modules into alignment?

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 pm 

winstep wrote:
Asagrim wrote:
On Windows 8 I habitually use the jumplist not only to access the most recent documents (for which there is a menu in most programs), but pinned documents (which are jumplist specific). These can be file paths in explorer, a template or project glossary for my work in office, playlist files in my music player and so on and so forth.

Finally someone answers my question regarding why Jump Lists are so useful to them!

I'll put another vote for Jump Lists. I've been trying out Objectdock on a Windows 7 laptop and 3 things finally killed my use of it: 1) the lack of Jump Lists, 2) the fact that the dock covers the edges of maximized windows, making them inaccessible (unless you hide the dock somehow, which kills the eye-candy, which is a big part of why you use a dock!), and 3) a little thing, but launching a new iteration of a running app was un-pretty (no icon, which is still functional, but I do it so often that the missing icon keeps scratching at my awareness).

It looks like Nexus fixes #2 by reserving screen space for the doc, which is not necessarily ideal but is the second-best answer. The best answer, imo, would be some way to temporarily or briefly send the dock to the background, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

I'll be trying out Nexus to see how it handles #3.

#1, though, is a big feature for me. My reasons are the same as Asagrim's. The jump lists are incredibly useful to access my most-frequently-used targets, defined by my pinning them, as well as my most-recently-used targets, with two clicks: right-click icon, left-click target. The most-frequently-used targets can be approximated in a dock by setting up a menu of some kind, but that's more time-consuming and less intuitive to set up. Moreover, that still doesn't make the most-recently-used targets available.

I'm very pleased to see that Nexus is still in active development, though. That's another apparent weakness of Objectdock; it appears to be near-abandoned by Stardock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 am 

FamilyManFirst wrote:
It looks like Nexus fixes #2 by reserving screen space for the doc, which is not necessarily ideal but is the second-best answer. The best answer, imo, would be some way to temporarily or briefly send the dock to the background, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

P.S. I've found the "Activation acts as a toggle" option, which solves this perfectly. Now if Jump Lists get added, this can completely replace the Taskbar.

Very nice dock!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FamilyManFirst wrote:
The best answer, imo, would be some way to temporarily or briefly send the dock to the background, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

If the dock is set to 'always on top', you can also set it to hide automatically whenever you open a maximized or full screen window.

FamilyManFirst wrote:
I'll be trying out Nexus to see how it handles #3.

Nexus is pretty flexible in terms of task management:

1. Icons of running tasks can be grouped by application, or you can have an individual icon per each open window.

2. Running applications can be completely independent from shortcuts in the dock, or you can 'combine' them (e.g.; if you already have a shortcut to Firefox in the dock, opening a Firefox window will not add an icon to the running applications section at the right, instead a 'running indicator' shows up under the Firefox shortcut in the dock).

3. Nexus can be set to launch multiple copies of the same application, or only launch an application if that application is NOT already running (in which case the application is brought to the foreground instead). The latter behavior, if enabled, can be overridden by SHIFT + left clicking or double-clicking a shortcut on the dock.

FamilyManFirst wrote:
I'm very pleased to see that Nexus is still in active development, though. That's another apparent weakness of Objectdock; it appears to be near-abandoned by Stardock.

Objectdock's developer no longer works for Stardock, and there aren't many of us doing this type of applications.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:16 am 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:
2. Dropdown list that changes current screen controls to applicable monitor, with monitor number on monitor thumbnail at right of screen.

That's the one I would go for too... I really like your idea of putting the monitor number on the thumbnail.

Now that 16.5 is out, is there hope for reserving space on multiple monitors any time soon?

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Now that 16.5 is out, is there hope for reserving space on multiple monitors any time soon?

Yes. But that will come with other features too, such as (optionally) one NextSTART taskbar per each monitor.

If you have any ideas regarding that, now is the time to spit them out. ;-)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 am 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Yes. But that will come with other features too, such as (optionally) one NextSTART taskbar per each monitor.

If you have any ideas regarding that, now is the time to spit them out. ;-)

Great! How about the ability to separate taskbars by Windows/hardware processes and user installed software processes such as Winstep?

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:07 pm 

I have Nexus docked to the bottom of one of my monitors. Nexus never uses the entire width of the monitor so many times I run my mouse down to the bottom to activate it and nothing happens because I missed it. It would be nice if there was a setting that would cause Nexus to use the entire width of the monitor. Then the "Align dock to which side of the screen?" setting would refer to alignment of icons within the dock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jorick wrote:
I have Nexus docked to the bottom of one of my monitors. Nexus never uses the entire width of the monitor so many times I run my mouse down to the bottom to activate it and nothing happens because I missed it. It would be nice if there was a setting that would cause Nexus to use the entire width of the monitor. Then the "Align dock to which side of the screen?" setting would refer to alignment of icons within the dock.

Docks, by definition, do not extend beyond the icons.

There are also two practical drawbacks to something like that: first, you would be wasting CPU cycles to redraw an empty part of the dock that is not even in use, second, you're forgetting that docks can also be made of tiles (i.e.; a square bitmap behind each icon instead of a single bitmap background). An extended tile-based dock would look like crap. :)

There is a reason edge bumps only activate the dock if you bump the area where the dock is hidden: to minimize what is the biggest drawback in terms of auto-hiding docks, which is accidental activations when you're simply trying to close a maximized window or something like that.

What could work is a setting to make the dock activate regardless of bumping the area where the dock is hidden or not, i.e.; regardless of which part of the screen edge you bump.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 pm 

Quote:
What could work is a setting to make the dock activate regardless of bumping the area where the dock is hidden or not, i.e.; regardless of which part of the screen edge you bump.

That would work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 am 

An Interruptor to switch easily between Winstep and Standard Windows, I am not the only one using the computer, and my wife has some difficulty with the use of Winstep, so it would be could to be able to switch to standard windows jsut by a click.

Franck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

virtual_francky wrote:
An Interruptor to switch easily between Winstep and Standard Windows, I am not the only one using the computer, and my wife has some difficulty with the use of Winstep, so it would be could to be able to switch to standard windows jsut by a click.

Exiting to 'normal' Windows is as simple as exiting Winstep Xtreme.

Just make sure there is a shortcut to Winstep Xtreme on your Windows desktop, then add a 'Quick Exit Winstep Xtreme' shortcut to one of your docks.

Clicking that IC shortcut on the dock then exits Winstep Xtreme without prompting you first. Running Xtreme again is afterwords a simple matter of double clicking the Winstep Xtreme shortcut on your desktop.

Voila! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm 

Thanks for your answer, so simple, should have thought it earlier.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 58  Next