Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

staticanimal wrote:
nexter wrote:
staticanimal wrote:
i think the ability to allow nexus to automatically change things like the theme based on the system's light\dark mode setting would be neat

That is a total nonsense! Given the nature of being freely themeable and being capable of giving the user a multitude of different themes, this would be utterly impossible - how the hell could Nexus possibly pick a 'matching' theme!

..... by implementing an option to pick specific themes for use depending on whether the system is in light or dark mode maybe??? it doesn't sound hard to pull off, much less "utterly impossible".

That may - or may not - be a possibility, albeit a fussy thing.... An option that you omitted to mention in your OP.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:59 pm 

I'd just like the ability to adjust the spacing of the separators. I'd rather it not be the same width as an icon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

razorsouo wrote:
I'd just like the ability to adjust the spacing of the separators. I'd rather it not be the same width as an icon.

That is not in the realms of possibility, so not going to happen. A quick search of the forum would have told you that as the question has arisen before.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: SHELF TAB ROW obstructs full screen apps & feature sugge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:30 am 

I tried to upload a picture showing Youtube video controls obstructed by the shelf tabs, however upon browsing for the file and pressing the "add the file" button, it is no longer listed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gavin D Staveley wrote:
I tried to upload a picture showing Youtube video controls obstructed by the shelf tabs, however upon browsing for the file and pressing the "add the file" button, it is no longer listed.

Working fine here, as you can see:

Attachments:
Win11_22H2_CPU.jpg
Win11_22H2_CPU.jpg [ 38.42 KiB | Viewed 868675 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gavin D Staveley wrote:

I see you tried again and then deleted your post. There is a size (KB) limit to the screenshots you can attach to a post, perhaps that is the problem? Try resizing your screenshot (just make sure it remains legible) and make sure to save it in a compressible format such as JPG.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:44 am 

winstep wrote:
Gavin D Staveley wrote:

I see you tried again and then deleted your post. There is a size (KB) limit to the screenshots you can attach to a post, perhaps that is the problem? Try resizing your screenshot (just make sure it remains legible) and make sure to save it in a compressible format such as JPG.

Attachments:
File comment: That's what it was, the original was 4K. As you can see youtube controls at bottom of screen are obstructed. It would be nice if the shelf could be set to disappear and reappear when the edge is "bumped" by the mouse pointer the way the docks can do...?
UploadThis2.jpg
UploadThis2.jpg [ 364.13 KiB | Viewed 868276 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 am 

An option to have grid stacks remember their position would be nice. For instance I have a grid stack on the left side of the dock and I don't want to move it over because I don't use that particular one that much so I try to keep my go to apps in the middle of the dock.

Problem is the grid stack then pops up at the extreme left edge (it's programmed to center itself on the grid stack icon which can sometimes mean part of it gets rendered off screen), it would be nice to be able to reposition it a bit more to the right towards the center of the screen even though the icon is on the left side.

Just to clarify... don't need an option to "move" the grid stack window, it's actually already possible to grab it and slide it over so that part of things is already done. Just needs an option/ability for it to "remember" where you left it so it can reopen in the same spot every time instead of resetting to it's default position.

Shouldn't be too complicated to add, or if it is a simple alignment option (left, center, right) would be sufficient if it can be done for each grid stack and not just all of them globally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

whmxtra wrote:
An option to have grid stacks remember their position would be nice. For instance I have a grid stack on the left side of the dock and I don't want to move it over because I don't use that particular one that much so I try to keep my go to apps in the middle of the dock.

Problem is the grid stack then pops up at the extreme left edge (it's programmed to center itself on the grid stack icon which can sometimes mean part of it gets rendered off screen), it would be nice to be able to reposition it a bit more to the right towards the center of the screen even though the icon is on the left side.

Just to clarify... don't need an option to "move" the grid stack window, it's actually already possible to grab it and slide it over so that part of things is already done. Just needs an option/ability for it to "remember" where you left it so it can reopen in the same spot every time instead of resetting to it's default position.

Shouldn't be too complicated to add, or if it is a simple alignment option (left, center, right) would be sufficient if it can be done for each grid stack and not just all of them globally.

You're not asking for much, are you?! :P

I doubt any of those options would be possible, and if they were, I'd think they would not be easy to implement, given the nature of grid stacks. But Jorge might know different, of course.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 pm 

Well most of the code is already there, you can drag the window anywhere you want, and you can resize it by dragging on the edges. Plus it does already remember the window size so regardless of how many files are in there it opens at whatever size you left it at. If it were dynamic (changing size based on # of files) it would be pretty much impossible as it would be different for everyone and would change according to how few/many files are in there, but since it is static (in terms of remembering it's size) it shouldn't take too much to make it remember the position as well.

I don't do much windows programming but I do write a lot of linux code as well as the usual php/mysql stuff so not that different. Really it just seems like adding another 2 values (X and Y) for position and replacing the code that centers it on the icon with the variable for the stored values.

Or if that is a lot of work a simple option in the grid stack settings for left, center or right of icon would work too, but I would think that's a lot more work because it involves editing the interface controls instead of just storing a couple extra values.

But you're right, only Jorge knows for sure hehe.

Another request would be the option to override the global settings when setting up the sensitivity for edge bumping when editing the settings for docks, drawers and shelves.

For example, I had a shelf at the top of the screen that I ended up turning off because it kept triggering when I was switching tabs in edge (yes I can use the reserve space option but I want the extra screen space hehe). I don't want to adjust the sensitivity because then it makes the docks and drawers sluggish and I like them just the way they are, so it'd be nice to have an option to override the global setting on a specific dock/drawer/shelf and have it set up a bit differently than the rest.

That's probably a lot more work though :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

whmxtra wrote:
Well most of the code is already there, you can drag the window anywhere you want, and you can resize it by dragging on the edges. Plus it does already remember the window size so regardless of how many files are in there it opens at whatever size you left it at. If it were dynamic (changing size based on # of files) it would be pretty much impossible as it would be different for everyone and would change according to how few/many files are in there, but since it is static (in terms of remembering it's size) it shouldn't take too much to make it remember the position as well.

I don't do much windows programming but I do write a lot of linux code as well as the usual php/mysql stuff so not that different. Really it just seems like adding another 2 values (X and Y) for position and replacing the code that centers it on the icon with the variable for the stored values.

Or if that is a lot of work a simple option in the grid stack settings for left, center or right of icon would work too, but I would think that's a lot more work because it involves editing the interface controls instead of just storing a couple extra values.

But you're right, only Jorge knows for sure hehe.

Another request would be the option to override the global settings when setting up the sensitivity for edge bumping when editing the settings for docks, drawers and shelves.

For example, I had a shelf at the top of the screen that I ended up turning off because it kept triggering when I was switching tabs in edge (yes I can use the reserve space option but I want the extra screen space hehe). I don't want to adjust the sensitivity because then it makes the docks and drawers sluggish and I like them just the way they are, so it'd be nice to have an option to override the global setting on a specific dock/drawer/shelf and have it set up a bit differently than the rest.

That's probably a lot more work though :P

Ooh, not just a Linux user but a Linux coder! Kudos, whmxtra! May one ask what projects?

Linux provides my main OSes for a long time now, principally Ubuntu but I also use Fedora, and on one machine I also have good ol' Debian. My own coding days are long past, having been under Nextstep/Openstep in Object C (fab IDE that was!) and some Java with Solaris, plus a bit of web coding with php/mySql, and the closest I ever came to Windows coding was in Openstep Enterprise for Win NT.

Is there ever anything that's easy under Windblows? :P Things certainly seem to be getting next to impossible for Win32 except with that ghastly .net. So, I remain fairly pessimistic, until Jorge can tell us differently. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

whmxtra wrote:
Really it just seems like adding another 2 values (X and Y) for position and replacing the code that centers it on the icon with the variable for the stored values.

That is not the problem. The problem is not thinking things through :D

Let me explain why that would not work:

1. You are talking absolute x y coordinates, and you keep forgetting that a) the parent grid stack icon might be moved somewhere else within its container and b) the parent shelf/dock/drawer/sub-dock/whatever might also be moved somewhere else.

2. Users would accidentally start moving their grid stacks (some not even understanding what just happened or how they did it) and pretty soon you would end up with a huge mess.

whmxtra wrote:

More work or not, this would make more sense than remembering the previous position. Still, making more sense does not mean it makes sense: the grid stack already tries to open centered to the parent icon (optimal position) and will only automatically adjust its position if this would make it pop up outside the screen.

whmxtra wrote:

That reasoning could be applied to all global settings and then every time the user wanted to change something he would have to copy those same changes to every single object. Ugh.

Why don't you just change the shelf activation method to 'edge swipe' instead?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:49 pm 

Nexter, I mostly work with Alma Linux and cPanel/WHM. Most of my coding is custom work for customers that need specific things. And a lot of my work doesn't even require coding, just managing the server, keeping things updated and secure etc.

Jorge, you have a point on the positioning but an optional setting (left off by default) would give users more options. I can't speak for other users but I prefer my grid stacks to open more or less in the middle of the screen, not way off to one side where it's harder to see them without having to turn my head all the time hehe. Even if I move the grid stack, or the dock etc I'm still going to want them to open in the same spot, plus I could always drag it to a new position if I needed to. It's already possible to drag the window anyways, it just won't stay there when it closes :P

An option to choose left, right or centered would at least be appreciated. Then it still stays with the icon but also allows for moving it over a bit.

As for the global settings, not sure why they would have to change every object, if they only have 1 or two custom settings the rest would still use the global settings so if they wanted to change the theme for instance, that would still apply globally.

The option to have different settings for a specific dock, shelf etc would only affect that specific dock, and wouldn't need to be copied (unless the user wants to copy that dock/shelf).

I get what you mean by it getting messy if you apply it to all global options, but I wasn't suggesting that, only the edge bumping/swiping settings.

Edge swiping I haven't tried, will give that a go and see if it works better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:57 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

whmxtra wrote:
Nexter, I mostly work with Alma Linux and cPanel/WHM. Most of my coding is custom work for customers that need specific things. And a lot of my work doesn't even require coding, just managing the server, keeping things updated and secure etc.

Ah, right, the sort of Cent-OS successor. Like the concept of an 8-year LTS! :) Didn't realise cPanel was still around! Came across it in the '90s - shows you how long I've been out of touch with that side of things. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:19 am 

nexter wrote:
Ah, right, the sort of Cent-OS successor. Like the concept of an 8-year LTS! :) Didn't realise cPanel was still around! Came across it in the '90s - shows you how long I've been out of touch with that side of things. :)

Yeah, CentOS was my preferred flavor but since I have to deal with cPanel and they don't support it anymore I had to move all my customers to Alma servers. It's pretty much the same anyways. At least I have 8 years before I have to worry about doing server moves again, hopefully I'll be retired by then :)

cPanel actually started in the 90's so you must have come across them in their early days right after they left burstnet/nocster.

It's come a long ways in terms of features etc, but now they sold out to an investment company that is stuffing it all up. That same company literally owns every single web control panel for servers and VPS systems, with the exception of windows. Hell they even bought WHMCS.

Quick question, I redid things a little and now instead of 2 docks I also have 2 floating mini docks that only have 3 icons each on them.

For some reason, randomly, 1 of the mini docks will collapse and just show the dock icon and I have to double click it to show it again.

It happens randomly, and not always the same dock, sometimes it's the one on the right, sometimes it's the one on the left, sometimes it's neither of them. Weird, can't find anything that would be causing it, and all the docks have the same settings except the mini docks aren't set to collapse/hide at all, I turned that off so they just show on the desktop and not over other windows.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next