Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:26 am 

Nutrynion wrote:
If you open the properties for the dock of interest, click Behaviour, then More Options, and UNCHECK "Shift Icons to make room for new entry..." option, they won't move around, but you can still drop files onto the dock or icon to launch an app.

And yes, make sure the global setting to prevent icons from being moved is turned OFF as well.

Cool! Solved! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:47 am 

cheez wrote:
Nutrynion wrote:
If you open the properties for the dock of interest, click Behaviour, then More Options, and UNCHECK "Shift Icons to make room for new entry..." option, they won't move around, but you can still drop files onto the dock or icon to launch an app.

And yes, make sure the global setting to prevent icons from being moved is turned OFF as well.

Cool! Solved! Thanks!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:06 pm 

To be able to create a tabbed docks instead of having to use a shelf. And be able to each tab a custom color like object dock. Here is a picture of what I mean

Attachments:
install_005.jpg
install_005.jpg [ 134.88 KiB | Viewed 38534 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

scottvf wrote:
To be able to create a tabbed docks instead of having to use a shelf.

The Shelf *is* a tabbed dock. What do you have against it? :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm 

winstep wrote:
scottvf wrote:

Haha, well I don't think anyone has anything against Nexus vs. ObjectDock, but I see what he means.

2 things OD has over Nexus specific to the shelf tabs is colorization and location options whereas, the tabs have more colorful schematics affording the user easier identification of each tab in a distinguished manner.

As well, location options for OD include the ability to also dock them on the sides of the screen whereas Nexus is limited to only the top or bottom. A feature I personally would like to see with Nexus Dock. For now, I just use a standard dock to pin items I want, but for the folders, I use the Show in a Folder Menu option to compensate.

However, these things are not conducive to high productivity. I suppose one can run both dock programs, but we all want to just have one, right? With as many options and flexibility as possible... ; )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:08 am 

winstep wrote:
scottvf wrote:

the shelf acts differently then a dock. Also you can't create more then one shelf like you can a dock. I would like to create 2 tabbed docks. 1 for games and have the categories tabbed. and second for programs with the same.
winstep has less bugs, that's why I changed to it from object dock. Object dock would keep switching tabs on top by itself when you moved it. and it would sometimes stay on top of other windows even though not on top was unchecked. I would have to check on top then uncheck it to temporary fix it.
I just want to help improve the product and being able to make tabbed docks would do this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look, I have to acknowledge that currently there are certain limitations which can be a bit frustrating:

There can only be one Shelf, it cannot dock to the sides of the screen (i.e.; no vertical Shelf), and modules are single session only (i.e.; you can't have multiple clocks each showing the time in a different time-zone, or multiple weather monitors showing weather conditions for different locations, etc...)

99.9% of users will not need or use the features described above and are quite happy with what the application already does.

And there is one thing I think you will have to admit: I may be biased, but I believe what *is* already implemented in Winstep works far better than anything offered by 3rd parties.

The limitations I described above exist mainly because, back in July of 2000 when work on WorkShelf started, nobody saw the need for more than one Shelf. In fact, the Shelf was the whole application, there was nothing like it at the time - docks (and Nexus) only came much later, in November 2006.

Even the desktop modules were first implemented in November 2000 - long before Stardock's DesktopX saw the light of day. Again, there was nothing like it at the time.

What I am trying to explain is that the rest of the code was build upon this single-Shelf, single-module, foundation. This already did not happen with the docks, though: they were designed from the get-go to support multiple docks and sub-docks.

So, adding support for multiple Shelves and multi-session modules now means having to make profound changes to a LOT of *very ancient* code which is currently working fine. When you make changes like that, you risk introducing a ton of new bugs.

However, I do recognize the need for this. So much so that in v16.2 a HUGE effort was made (it's hard for you guys to have an idea, thousands and thousands of lines of code were changed) to make it much easier in the future to not only add more modules as to finally be able to have multi-session modules.

The result of this was the new battery module in v16.2, the first new module to be implemented in over 10 years (the last one had been Wanda in March 2005). But now new modules are much easier to add, so a new hard disk meter module is already in the pipeline (and notice how something like that only makes sense/is possible if you add support for multi-session modules too ;-).

So many changes had to be made to module related code that it is almost a small miracle v16.2 is not crashing left and right.

Implementing multiple Shelves, plus the ability for them to dock vertically, will require a similar effort. Again, many lines of ancient code which was previously working fine will have to be changed.

At the same time I have been adding a lot of missing key functionality lately. For instance, the language bar internal command was added in v15.9 - irrelevant functionality (like multiple Shelves are for 99.9% of users) for most native English users, *critical* functionality for others. Full support for high DPI systems (also added in v15.9) is another example.

And we finally have the Winstep Theme Builder - the GUI front end for making Winstep themes - nearly out the door too.

As you can see, a HUGE effort is being made lately to introduce all this missing functionality in so many different areas. Things take time, that's all - while you wait, try to enjoy what is already there and is unique to Winstep applications... there is just so much to explore!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:37 pm 

/end rant... well done. I applause your hard work and effort personally and have the utmost respect. By all that I said specifically I personally have nothing against those minor limitations. I work around it with other options and and a huge fan of all of it.

I would donate more to this project if there were an option because I think it's well deserved.

If in any way what I said personally came across offensive, I do kindly apologize.

I am a hardcore customizer, hacker and have been for many years. When I see other people address a specific issue, I empathize with them because I know what it's like to want that one piece of detail that would benefit their particular interest.

But, we can't have it all. I know. Definitely, I know.

It's still all a great program and there will be no time soon I ever choose to not use it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:
If in any way what I said personally came across offensive, I do kindly apologize.

No, not at all.

And if I sometimes seem a bit 'aggressive' in a reply, it's only because I do care and it's something I am passionate about. So please don't take it personally either. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:26 pm 

Oh I completely understand. Off topic but few weeks ago I had realized a lot of my music was missing. Stuff I've collected over the years since I was a teenager. Stuff that you cannot find anymore. I still have the CD's but they're neatly packed away in storage in the back of the house. I'm not going to dig them all out just to re-rip them all, one because it's tedious, two - neither myself or my partner have any device in the house that has a disc drive on it. lol

Well, in all the sadness I came to accept that a lot of it was just gone. But then it hit me, I still have my laptop I got in 2011, that once, I built this new pc, I stopped using, a year or so ago, and low and behold, I quickly took the Hard Drive out of it, mounted it inside the new beast and voila.

That feeling when something you care so much about is powerful. When people always used to make fun of me, including my dad, about how much music I have and how one person could ever listen to it all, I would get so upset. It's my thing. Don't attack me for my thing!

lol

Anyway, yes, it's healthy to have a passion for something you personally enjoy. More people could learn a bit of humility from it. Having hobbies and interests that are unique to the individual is what separates us all. There are so many people these days that I know, like my dad and my partner that lack hobbies and what do they do when they don't have anything to do? They sleep. UGH

Me, I am up until 1:30/2:00 am every night messing with this kind of stuff (customizing, playing with the dock, figuring out more tweaks and ways to modify the system simply because I enjoy accomplishing the fact that I can, more than actually using my pc for anything productive) and listening and organizing my music and making mixes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, Apple said it best. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cheez wrote:
Huh? I must be missing something then. Every time I try to drag a file to the shortcut on the dock, I get a "circle and slash" icon indicating it doesn't work. Oh dear. What am I missing in the setting?

cheez wrote:
Ah! I see the problem. The dock icons must be unlocked from dragging to allow that to happen. However, that's not ideal. If the dock icon dragging is unlocked, dragging a file to the dock will displace the icons' position (in an attempt to create a shortcut on the dock). Not exactly eye-candy. Is it possible to launch the shortcut by dragging a file even with the icon-drag function locked?

I went back to the offending code and did some work on this.

Locked docks should not allow items to be moved/re-arranged within the dock, but they still should allow a) customizing dock item icons via drag & drop of image files, b) launching a document with a particular application by dropping that document into the application's icon in the dock and c) copying and moving files *into* shortcuts to folders in the dock.

b) and c) were already working even if the dock was locked, so I'm not sure why you were getting the 'forbidden' drag & drop operation feedback. I did fix a couple of misc.issues that might be giving you that impression, implemented a), and tested the whole thing to make sure it now works as intended.

By the way, were you referring to the *dock* or to the *shelf* (tabbed dock)? The drag & drop code for docks and the Shelf is different - I just finished working on the code for the docks and am now going to do the same thing for the Shelf.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:56 pm 

Is there anyway to include or adjust the setting of the dock so that when you open a new window, or program, app whatever, and the task icon appears, rather than widening the dock proportionately to keep it centered in place wherever the user set it to, that just the end the task icon/thumbnail appears on, widens out in that direction, keeping the rest of the dock locked in place?

(That's like a really long run on sentence question. lol)

Hope it makes sense though. It's just such an eyesore, and I personally would love to take advantage of all that happening in one dock, but to relieve myself from epileptic anxiety, I deploy a separate dock to just show the open tasks by themselves.

No biggy. Just a random poke at something to do differently. Perhaps as an option to choose when new tasks appear, widen dock proportionately or to choose disproportionate expanding to one side only.

Hope your day is well!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:
Is there anyway to include or adjust the setting of the dock so that when you open a new window, or program, app whatever, and the task icon appears, rather than widening the dock proportionately to keep it centered in place wherever the user set it to, that just the end the task icon/thumbnail appears on, widens out in that direction, keeping the rest of the dock locked in place?

Either undock the dock (so it becomes a floating dock) or align it all the way to the left side of the monitor. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:41 pm 

lol I've already done all that. But even so, that gets tricky. Because when you don't have any open tasks, and the dock is independent on its own set only to show open tasks, if it's docked horizontal, the icon appears one icon space over than where it should be. But if it's docked vertical, this doesn't happen. So the latter is my default method of setup.

:P

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 58  Next