Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 pm 

nexter wrote:
Me, an ogre!? Of course! I'm Shrek's dark, mean, and ugly alter ego! :P

But really, we weren't really mean, were we? Just giving a bit of friendly, if humorous, advice, and all for free! ;)

Nah nah, all good. Just a little friendly banter back atcha. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:30 pm 

Hi, just stumbled upon NeXuS, and it almost fits my use case:

Working around the pesky taskbar scrollbar on laptop.

I use the taskbar vertically and with ungrouped icons in order to build a mental map of multiple browser windows easily. But when I pop one too many window, the native taskbar scrolls and I loose track of my map.

NeXuS is great because I can group the native taskbar's icons and still have a second taskbar where I prune all windows except my browser's.

The only thing I'm missing, is the equivalent of the native taskbar's highlight on the active window's icon. Basically tells me where I'm at.

Any chance this might come around?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:52 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aidan wrote:
Hi, just stumbled upon NeXuS, and it almost fits my use case:

Working around the pesky taskbar scrollbar on laptop.

I use the taskbar vertically and with ungrouped icons in order to build a mental map of multiple browser windows easily. But when I pop one too many window, the native taskbar scrolls and I loose track of my map.

NeXuS is great because I can group the native taskbar's icons and still have a second taskbar where I prune all windows except my browser's.

The only thing I'm missing, is the equivalent of the native taskbar's highlight on the active window's icon. Basically tells me where I'm at.

Any chance this might come around?

I doubt that is possible. However, for what you want you would probably be better off getting Winstep Xtreme and using the native Windows Taskbar as well as Xtreme's NextSTART taskbar replacement. However, even there it very much depends on the individual theme whether the window that currently has focus has its icon highlighted, although most if not all more recent themes probably include this. You can always try out Winstep Xtreme for free for 30 days before deciding if this would suit you.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:23 am 

sonic wrote:
I've asked for these elsewhere but just to repeat the request in the official place.

1. Alarm functions in the workshelf clock. Multiple alarms with pop up messages.

2. Calander with pop up reminders.

I like your ideas, would be great

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kiren wrote:
I like your ideas, would be great

Eh? That already exists in the paid versions (Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme).

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: 2 long time wanted features by me
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:51 pm 

Vlad wrote:
Hello Jorge,

Here are 2 of the gripes I had with Winstep from day one, even before deciding to buy it:

1. The ability to acces the windows 10 right click context menu for a taskbar pinned app, for a pinned dock/shelf/drawer app (I know that at that time there was no drawer...). The windows 10 has some genuine useful things in that menu, like the most recent files opened by that app (and the ability to pin those files), for example.

It would be really nice to be able to access that menu (native Windows 10 pinned app menu) when you right click (or maybe ALT+rmb?) on an shortcut app that is in a dock/shelf/drawer.

if this implement
2. I remember a while back, I asked if you can implement the app switching via drag and drop files over an app preview in a dock... And you did that. Thank you again Jorge! It is great. Now here is what I have noticed, using that quite often: sometimes it can get... I don`t know: fiddly? You drag and drop a file you want to share, let`s say from explorer to desktop whatsapp app. So you start to drag the file from explorer over the whatsapp icon, you wait a while, the preview window pops up, you start to move the file to preview window, you wait a while, the whatsapp window is pushed in front and you move and drop the file in the app. All this waiting is kind of disruptive and also sometimes when you try to move the mouse (that has the file coming with it) from the icon in the dock to the preview window, in the time you try to do this the preview window disappears and you have to start all over.

Having control over the time it takes for the popup preview to appear and also the time it takes to disappear could maybe make things go smoother for drag and drop app switching?

So, what do you think Jorge about that? Do you think it is worth the trouble to look into it?

I wonder if this implementation could have been done earlier on a modified version of WhatsApp like this FMWhatsApp Apk because if there was any problem during the experiment it would not have any effect on the original WhatsApp....

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:28 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Could we please have 'mouse over' on NextSTART title bar gadget buttons to bring it inline with the rest of the programme?

And the Taskbar really needs a lot of TLC to make it useable in vertical orientation, Jorge. Vertical 'Tasks' backgrounds would be a good start, or else rotate them appropriately at least.

Another thing - could we have a setting to make Grid Stacks stay open until closed by clicking a 'Close' gadget? Just as an option. I'd certainly find that very useful and convenient.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:58 pm 

1. Go back to using an ini file instead of writing to the registry. Those of us without administrative privileges are stuck with older NS versions, and forget about WS!

2. When I'm using NS to browse through folders, I can double-click on a folder to open it in Explorer. Enhance that feature so that I can specify (In the NS configuration screens) the use of a filemanager other than Explorer.

3. A VWM applet for WS. Wanda was about as nonfunctional as you could get; cute, but not particularlyl helpful. I, for one, could do without the long-awaited dock, but a VWM that could be integrated into WS or the NS startbar would be a real, functional asset.

4. Refine and include something like Nick's CallHotSpot executable, so that we can open NS menus from other (i.e. non-NS) applications or shortcuts. For instance, I might use it to start a specific NS menu from an ObjectDock shortcut or from AveDesk.

Post subject: Re: 2 long time wanted features by me
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:46 am 

johnamaro wrote:
I wonder if this implementation could have been done earlier on a modified version of WhatsApp like this FMWhatsApp Apk because if there was any problem during the experiment it would not have any effect on the original WhatsApp....

I think it can be done sooner....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:48 am 

technologywell wrote:
Spammy spammishness[/url]

Jorge, I think you need a moderator or two to take care of this kind of dreck when you're not around. I nominate Ric. And Ric. I'm sure neither one of them will ever delete legitimate posts. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
technologywell wrote:

Jorge, I think you need a moderator or two to take care of this kind of dreck when you're not around. I nominate Ric. And Ric. I'm sure neither one of them will ever delete legitimate posts. :wink:

Yer darn-tootin' I wouldn't delete any legitimate posts. I would err on the side of caution. In fact, about a month ago, Jorge had to tell me I was replying to a spam post. So, see? That spam that would not have been deleted, mostly because I fell for it.

But, seriously, even if the owner can't be around to clean up the trash, having a daily janitor do it would help a lot with new user perception. Winstep is one of my three "daily" sites: Email, Directory Opus, and Winstep.

Pro-top: I have a "Daily" folder in my bookmark toolbar so I can remember things I want to check. This is also where I put shipment tracking links so I can see how a shipment is doing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
vectornut wrote:
technologywell wrote:

Yer darn-tootin' I wouldn't delete any legitimate posts. I would err on the side of caution. In fact, about a month ago, Jorge had to tell me I was replying to a spam post. So, see? That spam that would not have been deleted, mostly because I fell for it.

But, seriously, even if the owner can't be around to clean up the trash, having a daily janitor do it would help a lot with new user perception. Winstep is one of my three "daily" sites: Email, Directory Opus, and Winstep.

Pro-top: I have a "Daily" folder in my bookmark toolbar so I can remember things I want to check. This is also where I put shipment tracking links so I can see how a shipment is doing.

Funny Paul, I'd been thinking along the same lines - we're slowly drowning in the stuff here and it gives a poor impression of the site/forum - lets folk get the impression that it's 'abandonware' which of course it isn't. (Also explains the still ludicrously high viewing numbers in re: that other thread! Which really needs deleting now.)

Equally funnily enough I was going to nominate you Ric! Oh, and how about Steve perhaps, or seeker? What about you yourself, Paul? - you've been with us for a long, long time too.
And also agreed, would never abuse the privilege either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm 

nexter wrote:
What about you yourself, Paul? - you've been with us for a long, long time too.

My only issue is that work can get so hectic I only have a chance to browse the forum a few times a week. I'd happily delete any spam I found, but I wouldn't be able to keep a diligent, daily watch.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
nexter wrote:
What about you yourself, Paul? - you've been with us for a long, long time too.

My only issue is that work can get so hectic I only have a chance to browse the forum a few times a week. I'd happily delete any spam I found, but I wouldn't be able to keep a diligent, daily watch.

Well, I tend to be a bit irregular myself a lot of the time but I'm sure among a few of us like yourself, DD_Ric and myself we could keep the crap at bay. :)

And it really is getting way beyond a sick joke. It's really time to move the forum to phpBB3 - hell, it can't be *that* complicated to shift the customisations over, I'm sure it wouldn't be more than a couple of hours or so work for a php regular, and I could probably manage it even myself, albeit in a matter of a week or four. ;) (I did a few bits for websites in the past, with an older version of php (and mySQL), but that's quite a long time back now...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:12 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This 'spamfest' is really out of hand now - a few moderators should be top priority as and when Jorge returns to the fold as it were. Never seen so much chopped pork rubbish in a forum before.

Jorge, as and when you get to read this, here's a short wish list of things that ought to be a top priority.

Rather than adding any new features, fixing all outstanding issues/bugs/etc., of which there are still quite a few. And a whole lot of TLC for the Taskbar, also so long overdue.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next