Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 859 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
2. Dropdown list that changes current screen controls to applicable monitor, with monitor number on monitor thumbnail at right of screen.

That's the one I would go for too... I really like your idea of putting the monitor number on the thumbnail.

Chuck wrote:
As for the new beta...

1. Like the Preferences reorganization.
2. The effects are a refreshing addition for those interested.
3. LOVE the alarms addition to the clock module.
4. LOVE the new effects panel (seeing them side by side makes it far easier to choose)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! :)

Btw, have the 'capacity over 100%' issue with your laptop battery, as well as the manufacture date which should now show N/A, been fixed? And are you getting the voice notifications when your laptop switches from AC Power to Battery and vice-versa?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:13 am 

winstep wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! :)

Btw, have the 'capacity over 100%' issue with your laptop battery, as well as the manufacture date which should now show N/A, been fixed? And are you getting the voice notifications when your laptop switches from AC Power to Battery and vice-versa?

The issue is solved and voice works appropriately.

One suggestion: have option to select voice for Battery Event Actions. For example:

Low Battery Level: "Warning. Low battery level."
Critical Battery Level: "Warning. Critical battery level."

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
One suggestion: have option to select voice for Battery Event Actions. For example:

Low Battery Level: "Warning. Low battery level."
Critical Battery Level: "Warning. Critical battery level."

Hmmm, but there are already voice notifications for those two events, regardless of what is set in Event Actions.

Low Battery Level: "Low Battery Notification."
Critical Battery Level: "Critical Battery Notification. The System will shutdown soon"

Although I like your 'Warning' version better than my 'Notification' version.

Or do you mean make those two options available even if Voice Notifications are disabled?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
Hmmm, but there are already voice notifications for those two events, regardless of what is set in Event Actions.

Low Battery Level: "Low Battery Notification."
Critical Battery Level: "Critical Battery Notification. The System will shutdown soon"

I must have missed that.

Quote:
Although I like your 'Warning' version better than my 'Notification' version.

Or do you mean make those two options available even if Voice Notifications are disabled?

I wasn't thinking along these lines. If voice is disabled, I personally wouldn't want a "battery warning voice override." (although others might)

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:42 am 

Badge Count on Email Checker? Animated Mail Icons for Email Checker?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:
Badge Count on Email Checker? Animated Mail Icons for Email Checker?

What's a badge count?

And as for animated icons, yeah, I thought about it already.

For instance, the new battery module supports multi-state icons already (although not exactly animated icons the principle is the same). Wanda also supports animated icons (in fact I have a couple of freaking great alternative fish animations here).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:24 pm 

Badge Count where there's a small number in the upper right corner of the icon to show the total number of unread emails in the Inbox.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:27 pm 

Also in the Main Preferences window under the Docks & Shelves, has it been considered giving users the option to name the shelves. Having multiple docks is hard to distinguish other than using having the arrow pop up to show you and or remembering the # of the dock and location.

Being able to name each one within that tab only would be nice.

Main Dock. Side Dock. System Dock. Etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nutrynion wrote:

You can't change the names there, but you can change them in the docks themselves: right click the dock control icon for each one, select 'Dock Entry Properties'. The Label Field for the dock control icon is the name of the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm 

Hello, I've always wanted an option to launch a calendar application (Google Calendar or Windows 10 Calendar App, etc.) when clicking on the Winstep Clock/Calendar module icon. I know in the current version, clicking that icon now pulls up the built-in Windows calendar pop-up with the date/time settings, but that is not the actual Windows Calendar Application. It would be nice to have a Calendar module with an icon that automatically shows the current month & day and also lets the user set that icon to launch the Calendar application of their choice. This would pretty much be a replica of the Mac calendar app or the one in Objectdock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 pm 

Oh I didn't know that. I always hide the dock control icon. lol Thank you!

winstep wrote:
Nutrynion wrote:

You can't change the names there, but you can change them in the docks themselves: right click the dock control icon for each one, select 'Dock Entry Properties'. The Label Field for the dock control icon is the name of the dock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 pm 

Dino7405 wrote:
Hello, I've always wanted an option to launch a calendar application (Google Calendar or Windows 10 Calendar App, etc.) when clicking on the Winstep Clock/Calendar module icon. I know in the current version, clicking that icon now pulls up the built-in Windows calendar pop-up with the date/time settings, but that is not the actual Windows Calendar Application. It would be nice to have a Calendar module with an icon that automatically shows the current month & day and also lets the user set that icon to launch the Calendar application of their choice. This would pretty much be a replica of the Mac calendar app or the one in Objectdock.

I do that with Google Chrome. After navigating to the calendar online, I click Settings > More Tools... add to dekstop. Then I save the shortcut and add it to the dock. Also I check open as window when adding it from chrome.

I know this only acts as a quick launch to the calendar online but it serves the basic purpose. Mousing over the clock module tells the date/time as needed or using the digital icon setting instead of analog, but the look of the digital icon isn't as pleasing.

Here's a screenshot of my setup. You can right click and open image in a new tab and then mouse over the photo and click on the magnifying glass to see the full resolution image.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 am 

Thanks, but I know about that method. I have the Google Calendar icon pinned to my Windows 10 taskbar, but it isn't quite the same as having an icon that automatically updates to the correct date each day and that you can set to run the calendar app of your choice. I currently use many of the native Windows 10 "universal" apps (mail and calendar being two of them) so it would be great to have a dock with a calendar module/docklet that would allow me to launch the calendar app of my choice. Objectdock has this type of docklet built-in, but unfortunately, Objectdock has issues with Windows 10.

I also love the idea of having icons on the dock with "live badges" for notifications such as # of new/unread mail or new text messages or new Facebook notifications. There is a cool app called Startisback that is capable of showing live badges on icons pinned to the taskbar for any Windows 10 universal app that shows notification counts on the Start menu. However, the Startisback app forces you to use the Windows 7 style start menu, but I actually like the Windows 10 start menu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dino7405 wrote:
I have the Google Calendar icon pinned to my Windows 10 taskbar, but it isn't quite the same as having an icon that automatically updates to the correct date each day and that you can set to run the calendar app of your choice. I currently use many of the native Windows 10 "universal" apps (mail and calendar being two of them) so it would be great to have a dock with a calendar module/docklet that would allow me to launch the calendar app of my choice. Objectdock has this type of docklet built-in, but unfortunately, Objectdock has issues with Windows 10.

Having a 'calendar icon' on the dock that shows the current date is the easiest (and quickest) thing to implement. In fact, a calendar module has been high on the to-do list for a long time already.

And here lies the problem: Winstep modules are not simple icons. Well, ok, maybe under the free version of Nexus and Nexus Ultimate, but under Winstep Xtreme each module has a skinnable desktop version. And now we are not talking about a simple icon that self-updates anymore, but about a full-blown free-form skinnable calendar widget.

Furthermore, when I add a module, I go all the way in. I try to squeeze as much juice out of it as I possible can - some of the modules in WorkShelf would actually sell as stand-alone apps, or at least would be useful as such.

For instance, although not strictly a module, take the new Alarms feature in v16.2: there are whole applications (and some commercial) dedicated to do only that.

Anyway, I hope you understand what I am trying to say: adding a calendar module will not be a simple task.

The good news is that I started focusing on adding more modules once again. For many years Winstep applications featured the same modules: clock, recycler, weather, email checker, wanda, net meter, cpu meter and ram meter.

In v16.2 I re-wrote a ton of code (literally) to make it much, much, easier for me to add new modules in the future. The first result of this is the new battery module, also in v16.2.

The release after v16.2 will be dedicated to the Winstep Theme Builder. I don't expect a lot of time will pass between v16.2 and that one (the Theme Builder is already half-done).

Once the Theme Builder is out of the way, I was already dead set on adding another module. Not yet the calendar you want though, but a hard disk monitor with SMART based temperature monitoring plus pie charts for the files and folders that take up the most disk space, etc... (If you happened to see it at Wincustomize, imagine my face when I saw Stardock announcing SpaceMonger recently lol)

Perhaps I will also have the time to add a calendar module by then. Let's see how things go. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:22 am 

Jorge, thanks so much for the reply. It is really great how you listen to the feedback of your users, and, your explanations and responses are very thorough and detailed. It is obvious that you really care about your product. I look forward to the future releases of Winstep Nexus Dock. Currently, I'm not using any dock, because Windows 10 does not play nicely with dock applications. Previously, at various times, I was a user of your product as well as Objectdock when I had Windows Vista. I know Windows 10 has made your life difficult, LOL!, but you have risen to the challenge.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 859 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 58  Next