Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nexus free is basically the dock. Nexus Ultimate expands on that with for example sub-docks and Winstep Xtreme continues with adding the NextSTART environment.

By the way, Jorge, you might want to rename Workshelf.exe to Nexus.exe for consistency (since you market it as Nexus ;))

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:11 pm 

i have another idea for the workshelf tabs. how about the ability to pick between showing all items in a folder that is a tab(default view), or for folds with a large amount of items in it to be able to click on say my mp3's tab and actually open the folder. opening that tab completely in workshelf will fill my entire screen. this would also be good for movies, videos, pics, etc where you are apt to have lot of files.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
i have another idea for the workshelf tabs. how about the ability to pick between showing all items in a folder that is a tab(default view), or for folds with a large amount of items in it to be able to click on say my mp3's tab and actually open the folder. opening that tab completely in workshelf will fill my entire screen. this would also be good for movies, videos, pics, etc where you are apt to have lot of files.

Might be a neat idea but I'd go for the middle click on tab for that. Left-click actively selects tab, double-click expands tab, middle-click opens tab in a folder, right-click opens context window.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 pm 

kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

Might be a neat idea but I'd go for the middle click on tab for that. Left-click actively selects tab, double-click expands tab, middle-click opens tab in a folder, right-click opens context window.

agree. i like that. that way leftclick maintains current default behavior, and middle click to open fold is there by default.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:36 am 

I have my Workshelf always collapsed at the bottom of my screen, it is set to expand only when I click on it. I also am using the windows taskbar.
My taskbar is set to automatically hide, this way I can choose to use the taskbar, or open up the Workshelf, as needed.

The problem that I sometimes run into is:
When I try and click on an icon on my taskbar, I accidentally click on the Workshelf, causing it to expand instead. Could a feature be added that checks for when the Windows taskbar is not hidden, and prevent the Workshelf from expanding, if the taskbar is shown?

OR

A feature that would allow the Workshelf to always remain behind the taskbar would also accomplish the same thing for me.

EDIT: Please disregard this post, silly of me, but, I found an option that says:
Always below other Windows, and it works perfectly. I must say Jorge, it appears that you have thought of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:48 pm 

Workshelf only arranges icons from left-to-left on tabs. I prefer to either have them centered, or organized right-to-left depending on which monitor I'm using (I use my laptop with a 24" monitor, but also travel with just the laptop). To do this, I have to add separators on the left of the icons as necessary to create the effect on each tab (depending on number of icons and workshelf position).

As such, I would like to see an option to allow both left-to-right and center organization.

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 am 

Allow for the (ugly) digital time display to be removed from the otherwise slick-looking black clock (Atmospherica theme). It's redundant underneath the clock's hands, and really ruins its refined look.

P.S. Excellent program, btw! Most of these bar/menu tools are rather crappy and make your system unstable. Winstep appears a happy exception to that rule. :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 am 

RoseDreamJ wrote:
winstep wrote:
Hmmmm.... How many more people would also (still?) like to see this?

Referring to the Next Style file browser...absolutely. It should be just like the one that came with Nexus :P Don't forget the side-scrolling / retractable shelf / somehow expandable shelf.

James Senick

Personally I'd rather Winstep doesn't fall into the trap of trying to do too much, like so many other companies before you. Simply put: don't try and reinvent Windows. Winstep's power, IMHO, is the WorkShelf, simply because such functionality is dramatically lacking in Windows (essentially Microsoft is still stuck at the level of having icons on a desktop; that's it: no organization, grouping, etc.). I myself keep the Windows taskbar en menu structure (sorry). So, I'd say: concentrate on added-value stuff, instead of spending too much energy on trying to improve on existing Windows components (like a File Browser).

Also, I don't think people really fully understand what a sophisticated piece of software the Windows File Explorer already is (tightly integrated with search/indexing services, thumbnail previewer, right-click content-association integration etc.). No offense, but you're bound to come up with an explorer which is 'less than'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I agree, and I think the idea of writting a File Browser has been pretty much abandoned. Might have been useful back in the Win9x days, but now... :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 pm 

meimeiriver wrote:
RoseDreamJ wrote:
winstep wrote:
Hmmmm.... How many more people would also (still?) like to see this?

Referring to the Next Style file browser...absolutely. It should be just like the one that came with Nexus :P Don't forget the side-scrolling / retractable shelf / somehow expandable shelf.

James Senick

Personally I'd rather Winstep doesn't fall into the trap of trying to do too much, like so many other companies before you. Simply put: don't try and reinvent Windows. Winstep's power, IMHO, is the WorkShelf, simply because such functionality is dramatically lacking in Windows (essentially Microsoft is still stuck at the level of having icons on a desktop; that's it: no organization, grouping, etc.). I myself keep the Windows taskbar en menu structure (sorry). So, I'd say: concentrate on added-value stuff, instead of spending too much energy on trying to improve on existing Windows components (like a File Browser).

Also, I don't think people really fully understand what a sophisticated piece of software the Windows File Explorer already is (tightly integrated with search/indexing services, thumbnail previewer, right-click content-association integration etc.). No offense, but you're bound to come up with an explorer which is 'less than'.

winstep wrote:
Yes, I agree, and I think the idea of writting a File Browser has been pretty much abandoned. Might have been useful back in the Win9x days, but now... :wink:

i agree that winstep should just concentrate on the core products, and not branch out to items like file browsers. however i disagree that windows explorer is yet ready for prime time. even when everything is indexed it is slow to find what you want, at least 25% of the time it will tell that the file does not exist(then you do a manual search and there it is), you no longer can create folders that do not have the navigation pane unless you want all folders not to have the navigation pane, icon spacing is a joke(which is part of the file explore aka windows explorer. try find on a mac then try to tell me your happy with windows explorer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yeah, Windows Search has been broken since XP or Windows 2000, IIRC. It will only search files with known file types - stupid mess.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:13 pm 

winstep wrote:
Oh yeah, Windows Search has been broken since XP or Windows 2000, IIRC. It will only search files with known file types - stupid mess.

actually it won't even do that correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I haven't used Search in a long while.... I mean, what would you use Search for? And I'm a reasonably experienced PC user (in fact I'm going to do a variant of Computer Sciences next year, Gametechnology which is CS but with some subjects changed into a subject that suits game development more). The only reason that I can think of for using search is finding some file in the Windows directory... Which most users don't have a good reason for being there anyway, only the 'power-users'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 pm 

kutagh wrote:
I haven't used Search in a long while.... I mean, what would you use Search for? And I'm a reasonably experienced PC user (in fact I'm going to do a variant of Computer Sciences next year, Gametechnology which is CS but with some subjects changed into a subject that suits game development more). The only reason that I can think of for using search is finding some file in the Windows directory... Which most users don't have a good reason for being there anyway, only the 'power-users'.

there are plenty of reasons to use windows search. multiple copies of a file(to see which one is the newest), most files you download the name isn't even close to the product name(but most people at least remember part of the file name), to find a file without having to drill down through the folders to find it, etc...............

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hahaha yeah I get what you mean. Windows search is still slow and since I keep all downloads in an accessible folder I can easily find what I need (confusion about newest file? Just choose "Sort on date"). Drilling down through folders, only if you are really messy or so then it'll happen regularly, but in my opinion in the instance that I need to find a specific file that I know isn't quite accessible, I still prefer going to the actual directory since the search is slow and it doesn't matter...

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 58  Next