Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 am 

1) It would be nice if the tray icons could be moved anywhere on the dock, without the trailing separator (waste of space).
This is useful if you want recently running apps be displayed on the right. (I was used to this from ObjectDock).

2) There should be a slider in the options dialog, to allow setting the distance between icon labels and the dock.

3) The smoothness of the graphics could be improved.

4) An option for selecting the clock label format (instead of "Clock", one should see something like "19 August 2010, 12:43").

5) The possibility to use system icons in modules and system commands (e.g.: My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:05 pm 

vasca wrote:
1) It would be nice if the tray icons could be moved anywhere on the dock, without the trailing separator (waste of space).
This is useful if you want recently running apps be displayed on the right. (I was used to this from ObjectDock).

2) There should be a slider in the options dialog, to allow setting the distance between icon labels and the dock.

4) An option for selecting the clock label format (instead of "Clock", one should see something like "19 August 2010, 12:43").

5) The possibility to use system icons in modules and system commands (e.g.: My Computer, Recycle Bin, etc).

these are fine, but the default date format needs to stay month first, day second, and year last. this is what the majority of the world is use to. i can see an option to change it day first, month second, and year last, but not having it that way by default.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vasca wrote:

I see the potential for major confusion in removing the separator.

vasca wrote:

Err, not sure I understand how that would be useful?

vasca wrote:

What exactly do you mean by 'graphics'? Icons? You can use PNG files instead of ICO files. If you mean animations, which, specifically? There are settings in Preferences to control the speed/smoothness of animations and the 'Effect Settings' button also does the same for the magnify and other mouseover effects.

vasca wrote:

That I agree. :-) And the weather module label should display the location.

vasca wrote:

Instead of using the My Computer IC (Internal Command), for instance, try dragging the My Computer icon from the Desktop into the dock.

krazdkiller wrote:
these are fine, but the default date format needs to stay month first, day second, and year last

The date format would be whatever the system default is on your PC.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 pm 

winstep wrote:
vasca wrote:

I see the potential for major confusion in removing the separator.

vasca wrote:

Err, not sure I understand how that would be useful?

vasca wrote:

What exactly do you mean by 'graphics'? Icons? You can use PNG files instead of ICO files. If you mean animations, which, specifically? There are settings in Preferences to control the speed/smoothness of animations and the 'Effect Settings' button also does the same for the magnify and other mouseover effects.

vasca wrote:

That I agree. :-) And the weather module label should display the location.

vasca wrote:

Instead of using the My Computer IC (Internal Command), for instance, try dragging the My Computer icon from the Desktop into the dock.

krazdkiller wrote:
these are fine, but the default date format needs to stay month first, day second, and year last

The date format would be whatever the system default is on your PC.

Goddamn, the date format was just a suggestion. As I said "one should see *SOMETHING LIKE* ...", for instance, I don't use mm/dd/yyyy format, i use dd/mm/yyyy (that's the standard for Romania/Europe), but you should be able to use whatever...even the system locale as somebody said.

About the icons in the tray and the separator: how could you possibly be confused? Tray icons are mixed together in groups of small icons...(at least, I can't see a useful behaviour in presenting them in standard (normal) icon size).

The app is too chunky concering the graphics (tested on XP PRO SP3, Dell Inspiron Turion 64X2 @1.8GHz, ATI graphics chip and Windows 7, Sony VAIO, Intel i3 @2GHz, nVidia up-to-date drivers). I'm not talking about .PNGs or any other "icon" files involved. Just the performance.

About the slider for setting the distance between icon label and actual icon...well...it's really simple actually...there's about 1-1.5 the size of the icon space between the two items... really ugly.

"Instead of using the My Computer IC (Internal Command), for instance, try dragging the My Computer icon from the Desktop into the dock."...that's not gonna help, I want right-click->properties straight from the dock... OD has it, in fact it's in the OS...why should the wheel be reinvented with new menus and stuff like that? Besides, messing with the OS theme is a bad ideea...the menus (context-menus, at least) should use the native menu controls...

Anyway...just dropped by to say hi! (and bye, for now)...going back to OD+, for now, nothing beats it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, that was kind of trollish, in my opinion.

Quote:
"Instead of using the My Computer IC (Internal Command), for instance, try dragging the My Computer icon from the Desktop into the dock."...that's not gonna help, I want right-click->properties straight from the dock... OD has it, in fact it's in the OS...why should the wheel be reinvented with new menus and stuff like that? Besides, messing with the OS theme is a bad ideea...the menus (context-menus, at least) should use the native menu controls...

Had he stayed long enough to listen, I would have been able to tell him that to get the full Explorer context menu items for shorcuts in the dock, all he needed to do was select the 'Show full right-click context menus' setting in the Advanced tab of Nexus Preferences.

That setting is not enabled by default in the free version of Nexus because then users complain about long right-click context menus. Since this is a question of personal choice, there really isn't a 'right' default.

Quote:
Tray icons are mixed together in groups of small icons...(at least, I can't see a useful behaviour in presenting them in standard (normal) icon size).

Again a question of personal choice, other people will strongly disagree with you. At least Nexus allows you to choose.

Quote:
The app is too chunky concering the graphics

I asked him to be specific and this is what I get.

Quote:
there's about 1-1.5 the size of the icon space between the two items... really ugly.

:shock:

Such a strong statement for something so minor, IMO. :D

Quote:
Anyway...just dropped by to say hi! (and bye, for now)...going back to OD+, for now, nothing beats it.

And nothing ever will for you, if this is how you evaluate other docks. :wink:

Anyway, hi... and bye (for now)! :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:51 pm 

to be honest the guy is an idiot(i avoided calling him what he really is). starting with the date format. most peeps know that the business standard worldwide is mm/dd/yyyy. as for most of the rest of his stuff i'm not even going to go there. you have a fantastic suite of programs and when possible you always give peeps what the ask for. i personally think the guy just came here to bash winstep. keep up the great work with the programs ans websites.

winstep wrote:
Hmm, that was kind of trollish, in my opinion.

Quote:

Had he stayed long enough to listen, I would have been able to tell him that to get the full Explorer context menu items for shorcuts in the dock, all he needed to do was select the 'Show full right-click context menus' setting in the Advanced tab of Nexus Preferences.

That setting is not enabled by default in the free version of Nexus because then users complain about long right-click context menus. Since this is a question of personal choice, there really isn't a 'right' default.

Quote:
Tray icons are mixed together in groups of small icons...(at least, I can't see a useful behaviour in presenting them in standard (normal) icon size).

Again a question of personal choice, other people will strongly disagree with you. At least Nexus allows you to choose.

Quote:
The app is too chunky concering the graphics

I asked him to be specific and this is what I get.

Quote:
there's about 1-1.5 the size of the icon space between the two items... really ugly.

:shock:

Such a strong statement for something so minor, IMO. :D

Quote:

And nothing ever will for you, if this is how you evaluate other docks. :wink:

Anyway, hi... and bye (for now)! :D

Last edited by ChuckysChild on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 pm 

Quote:
going back to OD+, for now, nothing beats it.

What Bullshit!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys, keep it civil and no name calling or personal attacks.

As for the date format, well, English is the current Universal language, but European standards also exist, and, under those, the date format is dd/mm/yy. There is no right or wrong here, and this is a mute point anyway, as the software will use whatever format is defined in the Windows locale settings - so everybody is happy. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

krazdkiller wrote:
to be honest the guy is an idiot(i avoided calling him what he really is). starting with the date format. most peeps know that the business standard worldwide is mm/dd/yyyy. as for most of the rest of his stuff i'm not even going to go there. you have a fantastic suite of programs and when possible you always give peeps what the ask for. i personally think the guy just came here to bash winstep. keep up the great work with the programs ans websites.

Removed the quote and the font size (the latter not required at all in this case).
America and England both use the am/pm time format. A lot of countries don't. By your own definition, we would be using Mandarin since the majority of the world population speak that language natively, yet we don't. Instead we use the English language.

My point is: In the end it is not up to Jorge to decide what the correct format should be. It should be up to the end user to decide what he or she is used to (and since the user can define that in Windows, he or she automatically defines it in Winstep as well). If I'm talking about the first of February, I expect to see 1-2-2011 and not 2-1-2011. Others expect the other way round (America mainly). The easiest method to solve it is to replace the month by the name instead of the digits (February the 1st, 2011) which eliminates any possibility for confusion. (Note that in Dutch for example we say "1 Februari 2011" but that is a moot point as that is defined by the language).

I do agree that some people are quite short-sighted when they're trying out a different program. It's not like we can help it, they just don't know that they need to keep an open mind and see it from the point of Winstep instead. In the end it is easier for every developer to work with the customers that keep an open mind as opposed to having a strict list of requirements. Jorge shouldn't copy ObjectDock, he needs to make the program unique instead. Adding popular functions is a good idea (Why do you think that a lot of MMORPG's are similar in several ways?) but his primary focus has to be implementing new features that are unique to Winstep, to innovate. (For the sake of argument I'll just forget updating, bug squashing and such) If you don't innovate, why would people still pay for updates or why would they consider Winstep when they want to improve their situation?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 pm 

bud it's nice you have an opinion, but i only said that the international standard for business is mm/dd/yyyy. i never said it should be the winstep default. as for the opinion on the font size i chose, not needed. do not appreciate some one coming down on me when all i was doing was coming down on someone who asked for it and deserved it. this is not the first time you have pulled this stunt.

kutagh wrote:
krazdkiller wrote:

Removed the quote and the font size (the latter not required at all in this case).
America and England both use the am/pm time format. A lot of countries don't. By your own definition, we would be using Mandarin since the majority of the world population speak that language natively, yet we don't. Instead we use the English language.

My point is: In the end it is not up to Jorge to decide what the correct format should be. It should be up to the end user to decide what he or she is used to (and since the user can define that in Windows, he or she automatically defines it in Winstep as well). If I'm talking about the first of February, I expect to see 1-2-2011 and not 2-1-2011. Others expect the other way round (America mainly). The easiest method to solve it is to replace the month by the name instead of the digits (February the 1st, 2011) which eliminates any possibility for confusion. (Note that in Dutch for example we say "1 Februari 2011" but that is a moot point as that is defined by the language).

I do agree that some people are quite short-sighted when they're trying out a different program. It's not like we can help it, they just don't know that they need to keep an open mind and see it from the point of Winstep instead. In the end it is easier for every developer to work with the customers that keep an open mind as opposed to having a strict list of requirements. Jorge shouldn't copy ObjectDock, he needs to make the program unique instead. Adding popular functions is a good idea (Why do you think that a lot of MMORPG's are similar in several ways?) but his primary focus has to be implementing new features that are unique to Winstep, to innovate. (For the sake of argument I'll just forget updating, bug squashing and such) If you don't innovate, why would people still pay for updates or why would they consider Winstep when they want to improve their situation?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Krazd, you usually have a strong opinion and I respect that even if at times I don't agree, but today you are being a wee bit too agressive. Is everything ok?

It's a beautiful day outside and it's not worth getting upset over these things. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Krazd, you usually have a strong opinion and I respect that even if at times I don't agree, but today you are being a wee bit too agressive. Is everything ok?

It's a beautiful day outside and it's not worth getting upset over these things. :D

I agree. I don't think that it is required to "come down on someone" though. In the end it is better if Winstep's community is known as "Friendly" and not "Aggressive towards ignorant users". It is not worth it paying any attention to such an user, a waste of time (and causes annoyance with other users).

Sorry if you feel offended, but I see no need to lower yourself to their level by being abusive towards them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm 

winstep wrote:

sorry but kutagh took what i said and changed it. i have no patients for that. i respect others opinions, but not when it is simply designed to make someone sound like they did something wrong when they didn't. as for saying something to the guy i think you can see that the only reason he came into the forum was to bash the winstep products. that in my book is trolling, and deserves a responce. i'll be fair maybe i should have taken it to the pm sys instead. with that said i consider this matter closed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:19 pm 

i had one other thought about nexus. i do not know if you can or cannot do it, but how about a way to list programs on a dock as well as the current icon view. with this say for adobe cs4 and office i could list their programs on a dock instead of building a new hotspot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:09 pm 

So I've been using Winstep XTreme for about 2-3 weeks now, and it's a great product! To be honest, I've gotten the most use out of the dock (and can't wait for Stacks to be implemented). However, Shelves are quite a powerful feature and I intend to use them much more in the coming months. NextStart doesn't seem too useful at present, but the HotSpot integration is a step in the right direction.

Anyhow, I'm not here to blow smoke. I had some thoughts about where the software might go in the future:

1. I like being able to have my dock take up the bottom part of my screen, much like a Mac dock does, so nothing overlaps it. However, I have programs that require lots of screen real estate, and the ability to do one of the following would be great:
- Have a list of exclusions, as in windows which CAN overlap the dock
- When I double-click the dock to hide it, it should take the limitation off

2. The NextStart bar could really benefit from streamlined customization. Windows has had the ability to swap out the Start Button for some time now with a bit of hacking. However, the process is trying and finding a Start Button you like is a pain in the @$$. It would be nice if the NextStart button could be swapped out on-the-fly. As it were, swapping out a few bitmaps isn't too bad, but customization using the front-end would be nicer (like a menu option).

3. NextStart could also afford to expand on the HotSpot concept. Right now you can do the XTreme internal commands, and launch a program, but it would be nice if you could do things like bring up the ALT+TAB/WIN+TAB menu or lock the screen.

4. NextStart could benefit in paralleling some of the features of the Windows taskbar, such as resizing the different pieces. For example, I don't need a Quick Launch area (because of the dock) or a TaskList (as I have running tasks listed in the dock). However, if I eliminate both of those from NextStart, the Taskbar hugs the Start Button.

5. This is less a suggestion and more what I see as possibility I guess. However, it seems like with encompassing features of XTreme, you could easily implement your own file browser, allowing customization of that as well. Because XTreme is built on top of the Windows shell, not into it, this allows the ability to have far more complex (or simplistic) functions built into (or added on to) your own file browser!
Examples: http://lifehacker.com/399155/five-best- ... e-managers

6. I'm not crazy about the Nexus Dock starting a new instance of a program whenever I click the Launch item. It would be nice if I could customize it, to decide what clicking the Launch item a second/third/etc. time would do, such as bring the original program to the front, or minimize all instances of the program, etc.

7. The Nexus Dock can group similar items into one icon, but would it be possible to lump these groups into the Launch item if one is available? Both the Mac Dock and the Windows 7 Taskbar benefit from this, as you only have one icon to go to when you want to access any instances of this program. Having a Firefox icon on my dock which launches a new instance, and another which all the instances are grouped into, is quite confusing.

I would just like to point out that one thing that Winstep has done better than most dock applications (if not all of the ones I've tried out) is conserve CPU load! Graphic enhancements, such as dock item zooming and the Vista blur effect, are really the only hit that the Winstep programs have inflicted on memory, and even those are quite minimal. Keep that up!

Anyhow, just some thoughts I've had in using your software. Thank you for your time, and can't wait to see what the next rev brings!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 58  Next