Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: 2 long time wanted features by me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:07 am 

Hello Jorge,

Here are 2 of the gripes I had with Winstep from day one, even before deciding to buy it:

1. The ability to acces the windows 10 right click context menu for a taskbar pinned app, for a pinned dock/shelf/drawer app (I know that at that time there was no drawer...). The windows 10 has some genuine useful things in that menu, like the most recent files opened by that app (and the ability to pin those files), for example.

It would be really nice to be able to access that menu (native Windows 10 pinned app menu) when you right click (or maybe ALT+rmb?) on an shortcut app that is in a dock/shelf/drawer.

2. I remember a while back, I asked if you can implement the app switching via drag and drop files over an app preview in a dock... And you did that. Thank you again Jorge! It is great. Now here is what I have noticed, using that quite often: sometimes it can get... I don`t know: fiddly? You drag and drop a file you want to share, let`s say from explorer to desktop whatsapp app. So you start to drag the file from explorer over the whatsapp icon, you wait a while, the preview window pops up, you start to move the file to preview window, you wait a while, the whatsapp window is pushed in front and you move and drop the file in the app. All this waiting is kind of disruptive and also sometimes when you try to move the mouse (that has the file coming with it) from the icon in the dock to the preview window, in the time you try to do this the preview window disappears and you have to start all over.

Having control over the time it takes for the popup preview to appear and also the time it takes to disappear could maybe make things go smoother for drag and drop app switching?

So, what do you think Jorge about that? Do you think it is worth the trouble to look into it?

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 am 

winstep wrote:
Alas... forget multi-threading.

When all this started - because me and John T.Folden wanted to emulate the look of NeXT style menus on Windows 95/98 and there was nothing back then that did this - I used the best tool at the time to make a quick mockup: Visual Basic 5.0.

I had no idea this 'mockup' would eventually develop into NextSTART, a full blow application, and eventually into Winstep Xtreme, etc... I had no idea that I would still be doing the same thing 20 years later, or that Microsoft would some years later scrap what was - at the time - the most popular development environment ever and replace it with that DOT Net abomination.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, as they say, and had I known back then what I know now I would have used C++ instead of VB 5.0. But I didn't, and so I am now committed to using VB 5.0. That you can STILL do so much with it - and even applications like Nexus etc which you CANNOT do with DOT net because DOT Net isn't fast or lean enough - is a testament to how powerful classic VB was.

Re-writing the whole application(s) into C++ from the ground up is not a realistic option either, as Netscape learned when they tried re-writing their browser from scratch. By the time they finished the world had moved on, and all they had in their hands was a buggy mess - stability is also the result of years and years and years of bug fixes on top of bug fixes, something you do not benefit from when starting from scratch.

Problem is: classic VB is single threaded and this is a limitation of the language - it was never developed further to support multi-threading. I can only 'fake' multi-threading by using several tricks, and/or off-loading certain tasks to an external executable.

For instance, counting how many files are in the Recycle Bin and their sizes is actually done by winstep.exe, not the main application, so that the main application does not come to a screeching halt waiting for the API call to return when there are thousands of files in the Recycle Bin. Likewise, copying/moving a large number of files via drag & drop is also done by winstep.exe - this way the main application can remain responsive while the copy/move operation is still ongoing.

I guess emptying the Recycle Bin could also be offloaded to winstep.exe, if it's taking that long in your case.

that is heck of a history. good thing is winstep still very fast for what it does and havent encountered any bugs even after months of use. unlike some outdated ones such as object/rocket dock have massive lag/delay when starting up application winstep doesn't have this issue.

is having 0ms for dock to auto show/hide itself also a problem with VB5.0? or could we possibly please have the option to reduce 100ms to 0ms?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:24 pm 

I don't know if anyone asked for it before. I use "Auto Dark Mode" tool for Windows 10. It makes the system and apps automatically turn dark or light theme. So it would be very nice if Winstep Nexus had a feature that lets the user choose two different themes (One light and one dark) which will be switched between. (It will be sensitive to system's current theme, therefore when Auto Dark Mode switches the theme Nexus will automatically switch too)

(I hope you won't struggle understanding it, English isn't my first language.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oguzhanyildiz wrote:
I don't know if anyone asked for it before. I use "Auto Dark Mode" tool for Windows 10. It makes the system and apps automatically turn dark or light theme. So it would be very nice if Winstep Nexus had a feature that lets the user choose two different themes (One light and one dark) which will be switched between. (It will be sensitive to system's current theme, therefore when Auto Dark Mode switches the theme Nexus will automatically switch too)

(I hope you won't struggle understanding it, English isn't my first language.)

In the nature of the beast, this cannot be done as Winstep uses user-selectable themes and the Winstep app/s doesn't/don't "know" whether a theme meets "dark" or "light" - or for that matter any other - criteria. So, it's up to you as the user to select an appropriate theme.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:30 am 

I love Nexus with an extreme passion, but it would be most excellent if I could rename the "System Tray Expand Button" :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:58 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

AlDollaz wrote:
I love Nexus with an extreme passion, but it would be most excellent if I could rename the "System Tray Expand Button" :D

Enter your preferred name in the field marked 'Label'.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 am 

nexter wrote:
AlDollaz wrote:

Enter your preferred name in the field marked 'Label'.

It's grayed out. You can't click into it. The icon is the only thing changeable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AlDollaz wrote:

Alas, you cannot do that. Sincerely hope you find other things to give new meaning to your life. :D :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 pm 

winstep wrote:
AlDollaz wrote:

Alas, you cannot do that. Sincerely hope you find other things to give new meaning to your life. :D :P

Thanks, I'm working on it. Is this something that could be doable in the future?

[Edit] I'm a paid customer, not using the free version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
AlDollaz wrote:

LOL! And seconded - one sincerely hopes so...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

AlDollaz wrote:

Outside of that window, where do you see the "System Tray Expand Button" text?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:53 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:
AlDollaz wrote:

Outside of that window, where do you see the "System Tray Expand Button" text?

When hovering over the icon. I'd like it to say "More" or something along those lines.

Thanks for not ribbing me like the other two guys. Yeesh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AlDollaz wrote:

LOL We're mean and ugly. Specially Nexter (Ric), he's kind of the local ogre. :P :D

DesertDwarf (the other Ric) is the good cop though. :D

You can actually change the icon, but not the text. Not that it isn't doable, but I am not sure it's worth the trouble - I mean, in all these years you're the first (and only!) user that asked me for this eheh

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:42 pm 

winstep wrote:
LOL We're mean and ugly. Specially Nexter (Ric), he's kind of the local ogre. :P :D

You can actually change the icon, but not the text. Not that it isn't doable, but I am not sure it's worth the trouble - I mean, in all these years you're the first (and only!) user that asked me for this eheh

Fair enough. Still would be useful though. Especially from one so compulsive as me when it comes to getting the right look. :)

Awesome!
Amazing!
Spectacular!
Oh...

Last edited by AlDollaz on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
AlDollaz wrote:

Me, an ogre!? Of course! I'm Shrek's dark, mean, and ugly alter ego! :P

But really, we weren't really mean, were we? Just giving a bit of friendly, if humorous, advice, and all for free! ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 58  Next