Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Option to disable elevated privileges confirmation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

joerattz wrote:
I don't know if you promote this usage of Nexus. If you don't, you're missing a great opportunity for it with all the security stuff requiring running things as an admin these days.

I don't agree, sorry. Nexus is a program launcher and, as you know, anything launched from an elevated application will itself run elevated (further escalating the risk). This is a HUGE security risk EVEN if you are doing it on purpose, as mistakes are bound to happen.

Furthermore, with Nexus running elevated drag & drop between it and non-elevated apps will fail, given Windows UIPI (User Interface Privilege Isolation).

The warning stays, sorry.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:37 am 

I'd like to see more options with regards to hotkeys. Personally I'd like to activate my dock with SHIFT + TAB, but the TAB button is unavailable for use. That, or use one of my gaming keyboard's extra keys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:39 pm 

Some way to save the dock settings to a file so you don't have to configure everything again if you format or change computers.

A new font for the digital clock module. The current font is a little hard to read and not too pretty.

Possibility of activating Dock with a single key.

:Moderator's note - inappropriate 'bold' and large size font formatting removed! Please read 'Board Rules and Guidelines' before posting! - nexter:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

themis wrote:
Some way to save the dock settings to a file so you don't have to configure everything again if you format or change computers.

A new font for the digital clock module. The current font is a little hard to read and not too pretty.

:Moderator's note - inappropriate 'bold' and large size font formatting removed! Please read 'Board Rules and Guidelines' before posting! - nexter:

RE:
1) Why don't you explore the programme and its various settings options even just a modicum before wasting staff's time with such really rather silly questions? FYI, the option available is 'Backup Nexus Settings' in the 'Preferences'.

2) Not going to happen, alas! Do a search of the forum for something like "clock font" - this topic has come up on a number of occasions in the past, most recently a few months ago.

3) Unlikely to happen, I think. May be already there though - can't check at the moment as not in Windows.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

themis wrote:

You can already activate the dock with a hot key combination: Dock Properties -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings button -> Hot key setting.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:25 pm 

winstep wrote:
themis wrote:

You can already activate the dock with a hot key combination: Dock Properties -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings button -> Hot key setting.

It can be activated with a key combination, I meant activating it by pressing a single key.
Although I suppose this is difficult to implement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

themis wrote:
It can be activated with a key combination, I meant activating it by pressing a single key. Although I suppose this is difficult to implement.

It's not a question of being too difficult to implement, it's a question of not being practical at all. Think about it: you associate a single key press (e.g. "a") to a dock activation, every time you write the letter a or A in a text document the dock activates and gets in the way. Ouch. :D

Now imagine you associated that hot key to a dock by mistake or forgot all about having done it in the past. Ugh. :D

Forcing you to use a key combination - plus it basically takes you the same time to press CTRL + A or CTRL+ SHIFT + A as pressing A) - prevents a lot of these headaches from the get-go.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:43 am 

themis wrote:
winstep wrote:
themis wrote:

It can be activated with a key combination, I meant activating it by pressing a single key.
Although I suppose this is difficult to implement.

You can use a macro binded on a key of your keyboard, that does the combination of keys. That way you only use one key. That's a lot of keys right?

That's what I do, I even have integrated macros with my keyboard.
I bind them in my
techwear outfits, including techwear jackets and techwear pants.

Last edited by krakenn on Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: SHELF TAB ROW obstructs full screen apps & feature suggestio
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:55 am 

PROBLEM:

Applications that open in full-screen mode, can place control widgets behind the SHELF TAB ROW, causing them to be inaccessible.

Eg: Video players in Full-Screen mode (such as youtube) include the control widget for exiting full screen mode that becomes inaccessible where the SHELF is attached to the bottom edge of the display.

WORKAROUND:

The current work-around is
- shut down the workshelf program;
- use the widget in the application to exit full screen mode;
- relaunch the workshelf (I have pinned to the windows taskbar.)

SIDE ISSUE

As the shelf always takes up display screen real-estate as it only minimizes down to the bar of shelf tabs, unlike the docks that can be set to hide completely beyond the edge of the display it is assigned to.

RESOLUTION SUGGESTION

Adding the setting option for the BAR OF SHELF TABS to completely hide like the the docks do.

Another option so each individual SHELF TAB is treated individually, so mouse screen bumps/swipes can trigger a shelf tab to show itself based on its position to the mouse screen/bump occurring.

WORKFLOW FUNCTIONALITY SUGGESTIONS

Have an option to record the position the user places files/sub-folders within each tab so it can behave in a similar the pin-board behavior of the windows desktop.

Option to set up right-mouse button menu to include move-to-destination options based on the folder path associated with the tab and/or elements of the file (contains text in, at the beginning or at end of filename, extension type, etc...).

Option to replace the SHELF TABS ROW with a hierarchical folder tree from a predetermined folder path.

This would allow drag-and-drop from other windows/applications straight into the pop-up shelf, making the work process extremely efficient.

Post subject: Re: SHELF TAB ROW obstructs full screen apps & feature sugge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gavin D Staveley wrote:
PROBLEM:

Applications that open in full-screen mode, can place control widgets behind the SHELF TAB ROW, causing them to be inaccessible.

Eg: Video players in Full-Screen mode (such as youtube) include the control widget for exiting full screen mode that becomes inaccessible where the SHELF is attached to the bottom edge of the display.

WORKAROUND:

The current work-around is
- shut down the workshelf program;
- use the widget in the application to exit full screen mode;
- relaunch the workshelf (I have pinned to the windows taskbar.)

SIDE ISSUE

As the shelf always takes up display screen real-estate as it only minimizes down to the bar of shelf tabs, unlike the docks that can be set to hide completely beyond the edge of the display it is assigned to.

RESOLUTION SUGGESTION

Adding the setting option for the BAR OF SHELF TABS to completely hide like the the docks do.

Another option so each individual SHELF TAB is treated individually, so mouse screen bumps/swipes can trigger a shelf tab to show itself based on its position to the mouse screen/bump occurring.

WORKFLOW FUNCTIONALITY SUGGESTIONS

Have an option to record the position the user places files/sub-folders within each tab so it can behave in a similar the pin-board behavior of the windows desktop.

Option to set up right-mouse button menu to include move-to-destination options based on the folder path associated with the tab and/or elements of the file (contains text in, at the beginning or at end of filename, extension type, etc...).

Option to replace the SHELF TABS ROW with a hierarchical folder tree from a predetermined folder path.

This would allow drag-and-drop from other windows/applications straight into the pop-up shelf, making the work process extremely efficient.

Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right - perhaps you mean maximised windows rather than full screen? AFAIK, *no* apps (games excepted) *open* in full screen. And to prevent anything intruding into the Workshelf's (or its tab row's) space simply reserve screen space accordingly.

I can't check this ATM as I'm in Linux, not Windows.

As for the other points, I'll limit myself here just to point out that replacing the tabs - even if it were possible - would render it into something other than a proper tabbed shelf entirely.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:28 pm 

Example screenshots below:
1/2 - Youtube
3/4 - VLC

1&3 - Obstructed by shelf
2&4 - Without shelf showing controls obstructed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gavin D Staveley wrote:
Example screenshots below:
1/2 - Youtube
3/4 - VLC

1&3 - Obstructed by shelf
2&4 - Without shelf showing controls obstructed

Nothing there! Please check your posts and edit if necessary. Also, with a load of images like that, you should provide details of what exactly is happening and what exactly you're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:30 pm 

i think the ability to allow nexus to automatically change things like the theme based on the system's light\dark mode setting would be neat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

staticanimal wrote:
i think the ability to allow nexus to automatically change things like the theme based on the system's light\dark mode setting would be neat

That is a total nonsense! Given the nature of being freely themeable and being capable of giving the user a multitude of different themes, this would be utterly impossible - how the hell could Nexus possibly pick a 'matching' theme!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:03 pm 

nexter wrote:
staticanimal wrote:

That is a total nonsense! Given the nature of being freely themeable and being capable of giving the user a multitude of different themes, this would be utterly impossible - how the hell could Nexus possibly pick a 'matching' theme!

..... by implementing an option to pick specific themes for use depending on whether the system is in light or dark mode maybe??? it doesn't sound hard to pull off, much less "utterly impossible".

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next