Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 am 

NEW Features:

If these are not turned on by default it won't affect people with machines that are not fast graphically, CPU or RAM wise. People can then select whatever features they want which you have already enabled for the greater part :)

1. Ability to include custom animations by designer into Dock modules not just Nexus icons e.g. Gif
2. Animated wallpaper facility and/or film types [e.g *.avi, *.mpeg, *.mp4, *.mkv etc etc ]
3. Ability to eidt the context menu and add your own [writes to reigistry]
4. Simpler one hopefully and more in line with the rest in existence - Ability to edit in Nexus and it saves to the Theme, not to every nexus dock :)

Thanks Jorge
:D

P.S as for wallpaper I think VLC [VideoLAN] may have open source code for the wallpaper and file types as they cover most if not all of them rathert han just *.gif.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 am 

FINAL THEME BUILDER REQUEST ADDITIONS:

A dedicated Menu Builder separated to it's own category and the facility in the workshelf menu to have different images [if desired] for each button:
Main / desktop / recent etc etc..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:47 am 

RE: Themers:
Yes I can certainly see the value of Jorge hiring themers because he already di once... BUT..
While I am certainly in my early days next to many theme developers, with the amount of people that love the program that are already skinners, he could this time put it out there as a "Get your theme published in the next Version of Winstep"..
With Vectornut, Webgizmos, Mindy, Picco14 and many other fine themers that probably read this forum and some are members, the only thing Jorge would have as an issue is the time it would take to go through and test them all for what makes the grade.... :-|

free advertising is good for them and also solves the hiring thingee...

BUT - Jorge TRULY needs to update the Theme builder for this to happen and sooner rather than later because I have already seen Microsoft's Alpha next O/S and he is pretty much going to have to update it because atm, 9.5 wont work in Win 11.
[Retired MCSE - Trained by the 2nd person to ever get an MCSE that's how I get to see s**t]
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:48 am 

I found something REALLY useful finally for end users and designers:

A Docklet with customizable links on the desktop..
Whether that is FB, twitter, Google, their favorite blog space - whatever... - The reason I know it works well is because I just made one to go with a theme and I did not even have to program it. Just a script to house http links and too fixed..., so someone like you Jorge could do something amazing.
The user and or designer can use their own icons etc etc. It can come with all the standard ones G+, FB, Twitter, Mtspace etc etc
All on the desktyop - ONE click and it opens the site in their default browser - saves squillions of shortcuts.
It works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:42 am 

SORELY NEEDED [rather than a wishlist]
- every O/S has the facility now to change wallpapers in an automated sequence [image below] So a timer allowing end-user to automatically change wallpapers or select some in a fashion with checkboxes ?

Attachments:
shuffle_wallpapers.jpg
shuffle_wallpapers.jpg [ 8.83 KiB | Viewed 45180 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:44 pm 

I'd like either a calendar module or be able to click on the clock module to get a dropdown calendar. I can't get Windows to display its calendar no matter what I do, so I end up having to go to Outlook and switch to calendar mode to see one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jorick wrote:
I'd like either a calendar module or be able to click on the clock module to get a dropdown calendar. I can't get Windows to display its calendar no matter what I do, so I end up having to go to Outlook and switch to calendar mode to see one.

The clock module in a dock/Shelf will show the Windows calendar when you click on it (and will only display the Windows Date and Time Settings dialog if it can't do this for some reason).

What version of Windows are you running?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jorick wrote:

Read HERE. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:32 pm 

Here is a REALLY solid idea I believe:

Add an addition into the Winstep preferences with an automated selectable "THEME ROTATOR" and timer. I know lots of people daily or once a week etc rotate their themes.
Put an "Add themes" selector and they can select their own and it will automatically change the winstep theme in a given time-frame that they selected. A checkbox off by default should do it so that way, they have to select the facility and manually choose their own, so there will not be any accidents then.

They can choose the themes they like most - two or more and whether in sequence or randomly.
I think it's pretty strong idea-wise.
:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:54 am 

Designing lately, there are so many options of what to display I thought about the clock.
I reckon at LEAST 33% of people on the planet have relatives or loved ones in another country they communicate with every so often.

Like the weather module, 2,3 or 4 smaller clocks displaying time for example NY. London, Paris etc etc - There is an online time database like the weather that updates. SURE - there are probably apps that do this and windows - I can say the same thing about a clock.

They simply look at their desktop and know whether or not it's a good time to call.
Not silly, not 'hasn't been done before but it would possibly go well with the existing weather module, disabled by default so it does not affect existing winstep themes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Like the weather module, 2,3 or 4 smaller clocks displaying time for example NY. London, Paris etc etc

The idea is good and has been talked about plenty of times before. It would be nice to be able to display the weather in different locations, see what time it is in different time zones, or monitor traffic in different network adapters.

The problem is that the modules in Winstep applications are currently single-session only, e.g.: even though you can add multiple weather modules to a dock, they will all be displaying the same information.

This said, there are some new modules I would like to add (for instance, a hard drive meter module) which won't work unless multi-session is eventually implemented (so, for instance, one of the HDD modules displays info about Drive C:, the other about drive D:, and so on....)

There has been a lot of work being done regarding modules in Winstep lately (as can be seen by the new battery module and now the upcoming calendar module) so this multi-session feature is probably a lot closer than you and I expect.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the in-depth information, that makes sense. Yes, an HDD monitor is a lot of work with the smart systems, different types, temperatures, track and sector reading and BIOS monitoring and more. Great idea though :)

Another thing that might be worth considering for designers, is Vertical and diagonal [one thing at a time] text displays - The possibilities for design are endless with that.

If you can do that already - I must have missed something - look out if I find it lol
If not I probably have asked for something that seems simple on the surface and involves a lot of work.

HYPOTHETICALLY

The email has the facility to create multiple POP accounts. Because I have not done that i cannot really comment other than what seems to be. Would that not be a similar principle with the weather? Selection or creating a different zone and the same with the HDD's and clocks? I know that is only what seems like on the outside because the end user with the emai would need to select the specific Email POP account to view. Is it really difficult to allow for more than one display session? I don't mean to sound stupid, if I knew the answer, I would not ask :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Another thing that might be worth considering for designers, is Vertical and diagonal [one thing at a time] text displays - The possibilities for design are endless with that.

If you can do that already - I must have missed something - look out if I find it lol If not I probably have asked for something that seems simple on the surface and involves a lot of work.

Actually, no. Even NextSTART menus have support for vertical menu titlebars (and text) since the v2.0 days. All that is required is a single GdipRotateWorldTransform GDI+ instruction.

In fact, it's so simple that you are not limited to vertical text. You can choose any angle.

So this is a very nice idea actually. :)

Before all the work I have been doing lately on module related code, it would have been tricky (or at least a lot of work) to add such a feature. Not because it is difficult to actually make it happen, but because I would have to manually add this feature to each single module individually.

Now that I have turned making new modules into a 'sausage factory' (i.e.; made the code dealing with modules 'modular', a lot like Object programming), adding something like this is a lot easier and faster.

This said, it only makes sense together with the new Theme Builder.

BassdudeNZ wrote:
The email has the facility to create multiple POP accounts. Because I have not done that i cannot really comment other than what seems to be. Would that not be a similar principle with the weather? Selection or creating a different zone and the same with the HDD's and clocks? I know that is only what seems like on the outside because the end user with the emai would need to select the specific Email POP account to view. Is it really difficult to allow for more than one display session? I don't mean to sound stupid, if I knew the answer, I would not ask :)

You're making a good argument with the Email module.

Thing is, even tough the Email module is able to work with multiple email accounts, visually it displays a 'all or nothing' status, i.e.; it will display Full if only one of the multiple accounts have pending mail messages, even if all the others have none.

This works well for the Email Checker - after all, all you really want to know is if you have any new mail waiting for you, the 'where' is already not so important (even though you can get this information in the balloon tooltip when you mouse over the module).

When it comes to other modules where the ability to have more than one session might be useful (e.g.; network meter to monitor your wired and your wireless connection at the same time, weather module to monitor the weather in multiple locations, clock to know the time in different time zones, even the battery module to monitor more than one battery if you have a Surface Pro laptop, for instance) you actually want to *see* all this information at a glance. You don't want to have to dig deeper (e.g.; mouse over the module and wait for the tooltip to pop up) to get at it.

This means that the ability to support module 'clones', each with a different basic setting, is required, e.g.; time zone for the clock, location for the weather module, NIC Adapter for the network meter, etc...).

There must also be a way to do this for the desktop versions of each module, and some way to manage the different 'clones'. While the ability to add multiple clones of the same module to docks and the Shelf is basically already there (even though you can not currently differentiate each clone from the other), doing this for desktop modules will require some deeper changes to the code.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:52 am 

OK I am not too far off a possibility here - Working on what you have said above, if you were to go ahead and create the new features for Weather, Net, create the HDD module and calendar for next version; would it not then make sense to disable all of the new new features you add in Weather and existing mosules so all the old themes available do not get trashed?

I am more than happy to be a crash-test bunny - I have reinstalled 16.9 6 times to get Windows 8.1 to stabilise using 9.5 with it lmao - So I don't mind reinstalling 16.9 if it crashes. The only thing I have to do is readjust docklet positions and that's no biggie. :)

OK - continuing along - As a designer within your baby - i can pretty much place the meters or text anywhere in an absolute form within the confines of the size of the graphic I have created. SOOOOOO - It is no hige task to create additional real estate within a docklet for additional displays like weather in Japan or NY, HDD number 2,3,4 and even 5 for those that have it. The only issue I see with your HDD model is that I know some graphic artists that do work for film companies have RAID 0 and 5 and SCSI systems due to doing overlay rushes pre-release for the director to approve. So Hot-swappable you may need to think about before diving in because the HDD is no small task. You can release one to save pulling your hair out with a note that different volume types and specs will be in the next update etc etc..
Clocks - Smaller clocks below the main - see the sample - for people that only want text displays and no advanced skinning, that would be easier I imagine because they would only be text displays?

I know you get what I am saying, but seeing is sometimes nicer :)
I can do the same with HDD if you wish and create mock driop-downs.. let me know - don;t think Ineed to because Iknow you already got it.
Oh also- you would need to have the amount displayed selectable eg HDD/Clock/Weather location - just like you have done with how many Ram/CPU hogs display etc etc - nothing like consistency ;)

Attachments:
clock example.fw.png
clock example.fw.png [ 358.18 KiB | Viewed 45115 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:34 pm 

Hi!! Thanks for your time and support

Nexus is amazing it works really good on windows 10

Is there any plans to add Windows 10 new features like:

- System Icons like “location” DON’T SHOW in Tray
- Action Center Notification Icon
- Clock that opens the new calendar widget
- Cortana
- Language and Input method

Finally there will be the new “My People” icons that will be on the taskbar too in the Creators Update

It will be AMAZING to see this new features included in NEXUS

Thanks a lot!!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 58  Next