Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

reset77 wrote:
System Icons like “location” DON’T SHOW in Tray

I didn't even know a 'location' icon existed in Windows 10 until you told me, lol.

Look, the reason it doesn't show in the tray is most likely because, like the Action center icon, it is really NOT a tray icon, but a separate entity. It just *appears* next to it.

Microsoft is breaking all the remaining rules with Windows 10. Seems one of them is no longer using the tray for what it was designed for (system notifications) instead making its own thing every time because, well, it's 'cool and we really like chaos'! :)

If the icon is dynamic I'm not sure I will be able to pull this off.

reset77 wrote:
Action Center Notification Icon

You already have an Action Center internal command which you can add to the dock. I suggest you give THIS LIST of availalble internal commands a look.

reset77 wrote:
Clock that opens the new calendar widget

Are you running Nexus free?

The number of widgets supported by the free version of Nexus became 'frozen' with Wanda. Widgets like the battery module and the new calendar module - with more coming soon - are only available in the paid versions of the software (Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme).

Now, the problem is that only Winstep Xtreme supports the desktop version of widgets/modules (Nexus Ultimate only supports widgets in iconic format) and a full blown calendar is actually a desktop module. Nexus Ultimate does not even have the code libraries required to display it, so unfortunately the big version of the calendar module will only be available in Winstep Xtreme.

reset77 wrote:
Cortana

I think the 'Search' internal command (IC) will give you Cortana (see IC list linked to above). Perhaps I should renamed that IC to 'Cortana' in Windows 10 lol

reset77 wrote:
Language and Input method

Again already available: 'Language Bar' IC.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 pm 

Hi Thanks for your very good and fast support
yeah i know we live in chaos with machines and its just beginning with AI

For Language Bar and Cortana its Fixed with IC and i found out the other shortcut "WIN + SHIFT + C" for Cortana in listening mode and normal "WIN + S"

For Windows Calendar Widget is also Fixed, i found out the shortcut "WIN + ALT + D" so no need for other widgets or programming (yes i'm free user looking to buy soon)

Action Center i found out the IC but what i meant was like to be able to see the notification if the action center is empty or if it has notifications

So it seems Finally the only small problem are "System Icons" like Location and Action center notification,
they are all listed together Clock, Volume, Network, Power, Input Indicator, Location, Action Center, Touch Keyboard, Ink Workspace.
But it Seems just a couple are not working since Volume network power work good

Thanks man, Nexus is the best, very good support!!

Attachments:
2016-11-24 (2).png
2016-11-24 (2).png [ 96.23 KiB | Viewed 47323 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

reset77 wrote:
Action Center i found out the IC but what i meant was like to be able to see the notification if the action center is empty or if it has notifications

Yes, I've been made aware of this already. I think it was the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10 that added the number of notifications to the Action Center icon, AFAIK before that it was a static icon.

Just last week I took a brief look at this to see if I could find an easy/quick way of knowing the number of pending Action Center notifications (then it would be a simple matter of updating the Action Center IC icon with this number), but the fact is that Microsoft is making it very, very, difficult for a Win32 programmer like me to get this type of information. These days instead of simple Win32 API calls (e.g.; GetPendingNotifications()), it's all about .NET and Interfaces, Interfaces, Interfaces... Sigh.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:39 pm 

Hi, I'm currently using the free version of Nexus. Since this is a wishlist I will say the things I'd love love to have either in the free or the premium version:
1.Some way to extend the bar, I have a Windows icon in my bar (macOS style) so when I click the menu appears at the left part of the screen which looks awful but if I move the bar to the left part it looks even worse, Is there a wa to make ther bar fill all the width maintaining apps at the left and tray icons at the right part?
2. Is there a way to change the appearance of the menu that appears when I right click in the dock? For what I have seen on youtube and the internet in Winstep extreme tis menu changes when you change the theme but, can this menu be change independently? The themes available are not my style preference, is there any theme for the menu with macOS style or a modern style?
3. Is it planned to change the UI of the preferences menu for a Windows 10 style or more flat one?

Thanks in advance, the software is incredible, there is nothing like this in the market :3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PineappleJuice wrote:
1.Some way to extend the bar, I have a Windows icon in my bar (macOS style) so when I click the menu appears at the left part of the screen which looks awful but if I move the bar to the left part it looks even worse, Is there a wa to make ther bar fill all the width maintaining apps at the left and tray icons at the right part?

Up until Windows 7 the Windows Start Menu could be moved (behind-the-scenes) right next to the Start Menu icon on the dock when you clicked on it.

On Windows 7 doing this was no longer possible, as changing the normal location of the Windows Start Menu caused it to start glitching visually, for some reason only known to Microsoft. As a result it now only appears on its fixed original location.

Winstep Xtreme has its own replacement taskbar and Start Menu, but, more importantly if you don't actually want to replace the Windows taskbar, it features skinnable and completely customizable menus.

So, if you upgrade to Xtreme, instead of clicking on an icon in the dock that opens the Windows Start Menu at a fixed location, you would click on an icon in the dock that opens a NextSTART-made (the component of Winstep Xtreme responsible for the replacement taskbar, menus and hotspots) Start menu.

As for your full screen width dock extending idea, I kind of like it (which is already halfway there), but a dock is a very complex thing because of the magnification algorithm, effects, etc... Implementing such a thing would primarily depend on how easy it would be to pull it off without interfering much with what is already there.

PineappleJuice wrote:
2. Is there a way to change the appearance of the menu that appears when I right click in the dock? For what I have seen on youtube and the internet in Winstep extreme tis menu changes when you change the theme but, can this menu be change independently? The themes available are not my style preference, is there any theme for the menu with macOS style or a modern style?

There are hundreds of different Winstep Xtreme themes freely available on the Internet, and if you wait for the upcoming Winstep Theme Builder you can even make your own relatively easy.

Furthermore, if you are running Winstep Xtreme, you can have the NextSTART component using one theme and the WorkShelf (docks, the Shelf, desktop modules) component using another. This way context menus on the dock would take on the look of the current NextSTART theme.

Under Winstep Xtreme, each object (i.e.; each dock, the Shelf, each of the modules, menus + taskbar, etc...) can have its own independent theme.

PineappleJuice wrote:
3. Is it planned to change the UI of the preferences menu for a Windows 10 style or more flat one?

Argh. Touched another pet peeve of mine.

That question should actually be directed at Microsoft, since Winstep applications, like most other Win32 applications, use Windows Common Controls for the UI.

The Windows Common Controls mechanism ensured the UI of an application would 'blend in' with the version of Windows you are running it on, i.e.; run the same application on Windows XP and checkboxes there look like XP checkboxes, but run it on Windows 7 and the same checkboxes will look like Windows 7 checkboxes.

Skinning the controls was the responsibility of Windows itself. Using the Windows Common Controls thus ensured your application would look fine and blend in properly with whatever version of Windows you were running it on.

And then Microsoft lost all sense of direction (it was never known for being particularly consistent with where it wanted to go, but with Windows 8 *everything* went to hell).

Microsoft is basically trying to kill Win32 and replace it all with .NET and UWP apps, so they can create their own 'walled garden' like Apple did.

So, the only way to adopt the 'Windows 10' flat look on Win32 applications now is to make your own controls, as the Windows Common Controls mechanism will no longer do it for you as of Windows 8.

You probably have no idea how hard that would be. I do because I did something similar before so I could emulate the NeXT OS look in Windows (Winstep applications, like many other Windows customization applications at the time, had their roots on Steve Job's NeXT OS).

It was a HUGE mistake.

Doing it that way in the beginning meant the UI got stuck with the same NeXTSTEP look for a very long time, while the rest of the world kept going forward. Because UI styles are as volatile as designer fashion (what is 'in' today will be 'out' tomorrow) hard coding a UI style is a really, really, bad idea.

To fix that mistake I made in the beginning meant an equally MASSIVE effort to completely re-design the UI later on, so it used the Windows Common Controls instead of the hard-coded NeXT style controls.

I don't want to go through that again when Microsoft decides to go on yet another completely different direction (and given Microsoft's complete lack of consistency and long term vision, it will sooner rather than later).

On v16.9 I even tried to make the UI optionally adopt the new Windows 10 'Dark Mode', and it was actually going fine (and looking great) until I run head on into a wall: when compiled, applications are not allowed to change the color of the text in checkbox controls and the like (it will always be black) thus making it impossible to create dark themed UIs. Black text on black backgrounds does not a clear read make. :)

So there you go, probably a much longer reply than what you were expecting, but I hope I properly explained my point of view.

PineappleJuice wrote:
Thanks in advance, the software is incredible, there is nothing like this in the market :3

Thanks! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Now that 16.5 is out, is there hope for reserving space on multiple monitors any time soon?

Yes. But that will come with other features too, such as (optionally) one NextSTART taskbar per each monitor.

If you have any ideas regarding that, now is the time to spit them out. ;-)

As the update momentum continues, any news on the multiple monitor reserved space and taskbars?

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
As the update momentum continues, any news on the multiple monitor reserved space and taskbars?

Sorry, Chuck. :(

Ended up forgetting about this and now it's too late for the next release (which is already late itself).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Sorry, Chuck. :(

Ended up forgetting about this and now it's too late for the next release (which is already late itself).

I'm sure it's at the top of your list for the next release. :wink:

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:39 pm 

Enabling 'Show System Tray in Dock' is a nice function, however... anyway to make the icons a bit sharper?

Attachments:
Nexus.jpg
Nexus.jpg [ 17.08 KiB | Viewed 47263 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

werewolf wrote:
Enabling 'Show System Tray in Dock' is a nice function, however... anyway to make the icons a bit sharper?

If you are running Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme (I know you have the latter) yes you can... by customizing the system tray icons. It's the only way since the original tray icons are very small (24x24) and not even high quality bi-cubic interpolation can make miracles when scaling them up. :)

Open WorkShelf Preferences -> Tray tab -> turn on 'Enable tray icon customization' -> click the 'Customize Tray Icons' button. Both Winstep Xtreme and Nexus Ultimate come with a predefined set of high-res tray icon replacements which you can find at

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Icons\Systray\

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 pm 

Thank you sir. Worked great.
Are we allowed to modify/add to those icons? I would like to add one more volume icon, if allowed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

werewolf wrote:
Are we allowed to modify/add to those icons? I would like to add one more volume icon, if allowed.

But of course! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:28 pm 

Hello, I've just bought Nexus and I'm glad with it for the moment.

So my wishes:
    - make the calendar sharable with other applications (iCalendark Google Calendar?) so the user doesn’t have to manage different calendars
    - having a real digital clock - not the mix with calendar - that I may customize (background color, font color, font choice)

Have a good day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:35 am 

ya know what would be kinda cool? Overlay the analog clock hands over the moon module :-) I tried doing that with an almost transparent icon for the clock face, but it seems the icon pic has to be coded into the theme, because just changing the icon in the clock module settings doesn't seem to change anything. I've tried lol
So how could I get just the hands to show up so I could move them on top of the moon? It's probably really easy, but I'm kinda slow these days.

Post subject: Winstep Wish List - Upload and Download speed in taskbar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:54 pm 

Hi,
Sorry my English.
I would like to have the upload and download speed on the taskbar, one over the other.
Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 858 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 58  Next