Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 670 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:04 am 

amymor wrote:
winstep wrote:
I'm sorry, but in these day and age where most modern systems have at least 8GB RAM and most have 16GB of RAM, it makes no sense to talk about those kind of really low memory usage numbers...

when you use your system for gaming , that 1mb memory usage or cpu usage become important for you.and you didnt answer me why nexus use cpu when i moving a window :?:

Jorge DOES use his system for gaming. ;-) Which, now that I think about it, might explain his mysterious disappearances every time a cool new game comes out (just kidding--he is a gamer, though).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
Jorge DOES use his system for gaming. ;-) Which, now that I think about it, might explain his mysterious disappearances every time a cool new game comes out (just kidding--he is a gamer, though).

Ahah, that's not why (temporary burnouts are real lol!) but I do game, of course. :)

This said, I am not a good example since I run top of the line hardware (e.g.; my *previous* system would still be considered high end now despite being 5 years old).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am 

Hi,

I have several ideas in my mind:

1) Add an official tool that we can manage the theme like create, edit, export theme ..etc..

2) Winstep have great feature that "colorize with dominant color of desktop background" that will colorize the color of dock based on desktop wallpaper but if we use another wallpaper application like DeskScape, Wallpaper Engine..etc the color of the dock can't change based on the color of the wallpaper. Do we have plan to add an option for this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 am 

Please, please, please just add these small changes:

1) Add and option for activating the dock ONLY with a shortcut. Even when I assign a shortcut, the dock keeps activating every time I bump the center of the screen.

2) Please include Win key among the shortcuts used to activate the dock. e.g. "Win + D"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:42 am 

Basshunter wrote:
1) Add and option for activating the dock ONLY with a shortcut. Even when I assign a shortcut, the dock keeps activating every time I bump the center of the screen.

What happens if you:
  1. Right-click the dock Nexus icon and choose Dock Properties.
  2. Switch to Behavior tab.
  3. Click the Activation Settings button.
  4. And uncheck the two "Bring dock forward" checkboxes?

Attachment:
WorkShelf_2019-10-11_00-37-13.png
WorkShelf_2019-10-11_00-37-13.png [ 88.53 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:05 am 
Site Admin

A ***hidden*** docked dock will ALWAYS activate when you bump or swipe the screen edge. This is to prevent users from locking themselves out of their docks (by forgetting the keyboard shortcut, for instance).

The 'Bring forward' settings have to do with z-order only, i.e.; bringing the dock on top of other windows. Not sure if that is what he meant by 'activating' though, if it is your solution will work.

Otherwise what he can do to prevent accidental edge bumps is change the activation method to an 'edge swipe' instead of 'edge bump'.

As for including the WIN key for shortcuts, that is not possible as these shortcuts are reserved by the system. Still plenty of ALT, SHIFT and CTRL combinations to choose from. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 am 

Changing to "edge swipe" just made things worse. I keep having problems with the dock activating accidentally. Again, an option to prevent dock activation from edge bump would be highly appreciated. This way I can set it to be activated just by a shortcut or at least with one of the edge corners. But honestly it doesn't makes any sense to choose one of these options right now since they won't prevent to accidentally activate the dock everytime i'm trying to navigate on my Chrome tabs. It could be added as an option and not the default behavior if you wish. I decided to gave nexus a second chance, but honestly this is driving me crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:32 am 
Site Admin

I fail to see how an edge swipe can make things worse, as it requires you to swipe the mouse pointer *along* the edge of the screen for quite some distance and withing a short period of time before anything happens.

I can understand accidental activations when 'bumping' the mouse pointer against the screen edge in a perpendicular way as you reach for a Chrome tab or the titlebar of a maximized window and overshoot, but an edge swipe requires dragging it parallel to the edge and right along it.

Anyway, if you look in the Activation Settings dialog you should notice there is a 'Edge Swipe Settings' button. Clicking on it allows you to adjust the time (and distance) required before an activation occurs. Just set the distance to maximum and the time to minimum, this should basically disable the edge swipe mechanism and thus prevent accidental activations of the dock when it is hidden beyond the screen edge (I assume this is what we have been talking about all this time, right?).

Likewise, you also have settings for Edge Bump activations which you can adjust to your liking.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:16 pm 

The problem I find with Edge swipe (dragging it parallel to the edge and right along it) is that I find myself doing that exact same movement many times specially when working with Chrome tabs.

I actually find it really natural to have an option that let you assign a hotkey and prevent the dock activation by any means except by that hotkey. But anyways, I think there's no point on keeping arguing. I'll just try the settings you proposed and see how it behaves. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Basshunter wrote:
I actually find it really natural to have an option that let you assign a hotkey and prevent the dock activation by any means except by that hotkey.

Yes, on the surface it seems like a no-brainer. But do you know the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" ? :)

As a developer with over 20 years of experience dealing with thousands of users, I know *exactly* what would happen if I did that: a percentage (no matter how small it is) would forget the key combination they set to activate their dock (also keep in mind that the free version - the one with most users by far - only has one dock and it's through the dock users normally access Preferences).

From those, another percentage would then not know how to access Preferences to check and/or change the hot key combination, and that is assuming they would actually remember having disabled edge activation in the first place - most would immediately uninstall the application thinking of it as buggy (which is VERY bad), the remaining would write to support.

Now keep in mind that even only 0.1% of 1 million users is still 1,000 people. That's a lot of bad will, mails, energy and time wasted for a 'feature' only a handful of people in the world might find useful.

It's a balancing act. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 670 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45